Confirmed with Link: Subban wins the Norris!!!!! (per Reality)

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Also, Bergevin should never have been so stubborn on that bridge deal (his only blip imo so far). We could have had Subban signed at a discount. Short term gain for long term pain. His next contract will cost the Canadiens.

PK definitely deserved it. Happy Letang didn't win it, especially when you take into consideration his defensive game.

I kind of agree with you, but at the same time, it could be that Bergy's bridge (you havn't proved anything yet) contract may have helped PK get motivated.

Therrien starting subban off slowly too when he got back seemed to humble him a bit... both of these things could have attributed to Subban's maturation for all we know.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Also, Bergevin should never have been so stubborn on that bridge deal (his only blip imo so far). We could have had Subban signed at a discount. Short term gain for long term pain. His next contract will cost the Canadiens.

PK definitely deserved it. Happy Letang didn't win it, especially when you take into consideration his defensive game.

Bridge deal is what motivated Subban. I don't understand this message boards obsession with signing every player on the cheap. Sometimes players sulk when underpaid.

So he's a Norris winning defenseman. Let's pay him accordingly and make him a centerpiece of our team. I'd guess he plays even better by being respected instead of being underpaid.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
@RealKyper:
Confirmed word out of Montreal and NY is #Canadian P.K Subban will be announced during Cup final as the winner of #NHL 2013 Norris trophy.

Did he just say the N word?

Would a "N***** of the Year"-avatar be OK with the mods?

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Subban was probably the difference between the Habs being an average team and being in the league's top 8. His powerplay results is what people noticed but he was massive at driving results 5 on 5. No d-man provided more value this year to his team and its a well deserved award.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Bridge deal is what motivated Subban. I don't understand this message boards obsession with signing every player on the cheap. Sometimes players sulk when underpaid.

So he's a Norris winning defenseman. Let's pay him accordingly and make him a centerpiece of our team. I'd guess he plays even better by being respected instead of being underpaid.

That's like if you would find a ultimate cure to Cancer, and the recognition goes to your a**hole teacher who gave you a hasty 6 month deadline and small budget in the purpose of "motivating" you.

No respect for his talents, his skills, his personal motivation and determination, his history (yes he's BLACK, yes we live in racist world, yes he always had to work harder then a white male), his family and their education and THEIR motivation.

MB has JACK to do what PK has accomplished.

Let's not forget half the fanbase and journalists in mtl were ready to ship out subban less then a year ago. MB wasn't probably very far in that line of thinking in that regard, which is what resulted in giving him that ridic contract.

Last edited:

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Subban was probably the difference between the Habs being an average team and being in the league's top 8. His powerplay results is what people noticed but he was massive at driving results 5 on 5. No d-man provided more value this year to his team and its a well deserved award.

I still think Suter was more valuable to his team considering the minutes he was playing... He did have a great partner in Brodin though

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
That's like if you would find a ultimate cure to Cancer, and the recognition goes to your a**hole teacher who gave you a hasty 6 month deadline and small budget in the purpose of "motivating" you.
No respect for his talents, his skills, his personal motivation and determination, his history (yes he's BLACK, yes we live in racist world, yes he always had to work harder then a white male), his family and their education and THEIR motivation.

Yeah, like that's exactly the same thing :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Meh.. he's just as good as Del Zotto. His contract demands are unreasonable.

lol.i remember the del zotto comparisons.there were even worse ones than that too .pk was elite befor this season and will be for a long time.even at 7 mil + per he is well worth it.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
When people are afraid that a Norris Trophy hurts the team from a contract negotiation point of view it's apparent they need reminders of how NOT to negotiate a contract.

When people defend mediocrity and are scared about the consequences of SUCCESS it's frightening to think what this fanbase is morphing to.

My autographed PK jersey just went up in value.

Indeed... Still, most of this board have to issue paying HUGE prices for mediocrity (3.9M for Gorges, 5M for Gionta).

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Did he just say the N word?

Would a "N***** of the Year"-avatar be OK with the mods?

It shouldn't be okay with anybody for obvious reasons, the second one being it's not very funny at all.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
But Sutter has more ice time, wasn't that a clear indication that he deserved to win?

Well I hope it's true or else we all got punked lol

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Yeah, like that's exactly the same thing :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Point being is that PK's Skills and Talent and self determination and self motivation is what lead his year, and what MB did was nothing more then doubting that PK would be able to pull it off.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
A better avatar idea would be to make fun of the Sens irrational love for Karlsson

"Best black defenseman in the league"
Pic of Karlsson: "What about me?"

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I personally think the bridge deal wasn't a mistake, what people would have give him..? 4-5 years contract at 5-6M and than overpaying or losing him in the free agency. I wouldn't have taken that risk seing what happen to NJ and Parise or Ana with now the 4th and 6th highest payed(cap hit) players in the league.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Point being is that PK's Skills and Talent and self determination and self motivation is what lead his year, and what MB did was nothing more then doubting that PK would be able to pull it off.

MB's job is to get the best deal for the team, and he did that. Don't know how that translates to doubting PK. Another classic HFboards leap of logic I guess.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
First major trophy for a member of the Habs in long time.

Very well deserved imo. Lots of room for him to improve before he reaches his ceiling.

JOSE 2001-02 (Hart & Vezina). Love this. Congrats to PK.

Oh man, he's gonna cost us a ******** of money next summer but congrats to PK if true. And a big **** you to all the haters out there.

Doesn't matter, won division :sarcasm:

I still don't think Bergevin cares about paying Subban what he's worth. To me that was the whole point of the bridge contract - I'm sure Bergevin knows he could have caved and signed Subban to a discount for a longer term, but I don't think his goal is to nickel-and-dime his players. I think he's more than okay with saying, "we don't have a problem paying you what you're worth if you accomplish the goals we set out for you". Maybe it'll cause him cap headaches, but I think he values the good will and the culture it creates over a million or so bucks in cap space.

At least, that's what I believe his philosophy to be. Whether you agree with it or not is another thing entirely, but I think it's at least respectable (if maybe not practical from the point of view of the cap).

This. A great philosphy for GMs to go by. Better than having a GM that trades your best goaltending prospect for a Calder trophy winner that had a really bad sophmore (and possibly junior) slump (yes, i'm talking about JFJ and the TML).

BMaepFJCcAAyES9.jpg:large

**** YES!

Using the bridge contract is not only smart but a must for any GM to properly manage a team. Look at Edmonton for proof of what overpaying for kids does to your ability to build a competitive team. The CBA was designed to keep a lid on salaries for younger players. If you don't use it then you are a fool. Now all of Edmontons younger players will want what Ebs and Hall received with their 2nd contract. RNH, Yaks And Schultz will want the 5 million per. What a mess. Hats off to MB for using his brain.

What a debacle Edmonton will be in a couple years. Bridge contracts are important.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005

Yeah okay. Wow, get a grip. I'm going to ignore your racial comments. It's not relevant.

Money and contracts motivate players in sports. It's a fact. If it didn't why did PK hold out? He chose not to play because he wanted to be paid more than being offered.

He played with a chip on his shoulder this year and he played great. It was motivation it's pretty obvious. Kudos to MB for setting the play well and get paid precedence. And kudos to PK for emerging as a star through his great play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad