Value of: Subban to Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We still have Shattenkirk, Staal and Smith on the books for the next 2 years. One or more might get traded in that time and Smith could see more time on the 4th line or in the AHL, but if you add Subban to this defense, where are the kids going to play? Skjei, ADA, Pionk, Hajek, Lindgren. There are only so many roster spots. We don't need to trade quality assets and pay a 30 year old 9 mil per year to insulate the kids. We have plenty of vets to do that.

Are you planning to re-sign Subban when he is 33? Are we trading quality assets for him just so he can be a mentor for the kids while we suck? And speaking of that, what exactly are you trading to get him? You realize it won't be cheap, right?

all of the above.
not clear if Preds want to not wait to get younger, sell sooner than later, or if there is a personality issue, or if there is some repurposing of the asset, or if there is an eye towards not just cutting salary, but structural cap reform of a big salary out for more flexible $ in.

Rangers can not afford to give any significant value for PK for reasons noted in this thread and the post quoted.
In unlikely event that works for Nash, we can do Smith for cap dump and something like Strome, and a lesser asset.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You keep saying this. But for the life of me, I have no idea why considering where the franchise is right now.

Shatty, better recovered from injury, is a fine placeholder stopgap 1RD until a quality successor emerges/becomes available.

We need a top 1RD but we don't need to overpay fro other emerging areas to rush that ahead of schedule.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Just one thought.
IF Preds wanted to pay good $ for Zib, then Smith + Zib would cover the cap hit.
But again, there would be minimal consideration as to paying value for PK in that equation.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Shatty, better recovered from injury, is a fine placeholder stopgap 1RD until a quality successor emerges/becomes available.

We need a top 1RD but we don't need to overpay fro other emerging areas to rush that ahead of schedule.
So who do you want Shattenkirk to play with on the first pairing? Skjei? And ruin him even more? Can not believe you mean that.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
You keep saying this. But for the life of me, I have no idea why considering where the franchise is right now.
Sadly this rebuild is not going to go well with Gorton as GM. All the mess at defense is created by himself. So for a start to fix it: Get someone to play first pairings and let the youngsters develop on the second and third pairings.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So who do you want Shattenkirk to play with on the first pairing? Skjei? And ruin him even more? Can not believe you mean that.

I'm looking to move Skjei but that is to repurpose him and make mins for emerging LD.

Skjei has been uneven, but a lot of that is due to partners, change in system, etc etc.
bottom line is Skjei has most important necessary asset for D, which is great skating and speed, forwards and backwards. Defensive skills are adequately there, there is room for improvement and he doesn't execute fluidly as if second nature in his sleep.
But there is more than enough there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sadly this rebuild is not going to go well with Gorton as GM. All the mess at defense is created by himself. So for a start to fix it: Get someone to play first pairings and let the youngsters develop on the second and third pairings.

completely wrong
now that Slats is not sucking up to the win now crowd, and vet first idiot AV is peddling his wares elsewhere, the rebuild is coming along very nicely, arguably a bit ahead of schedule

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Rangers need a 1D . Subban is signed for 3 more years with a cap hit of 9 mill. 3 years of Subban gives Rangers time to develop their own young RDs.
If I understand it correctly the rumour is that Preds want to trade Subban to make room for Duchene.

The 2OA and Zibanejad would be off limits. And the young russians signed this spring I guess, What could Nashville want back? Only picks and prospects? Shattenkirk with 50% (app. 3,3 mill) retention to use on the p0werplay? Could he be part of a package?

“I want a 1D but our most valuable pieces are off limits.”

Sorry buddy. Doesn’t work like that.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
“I want a 1D but our most valuable pieces are off limits.”

Sorry buddy. Doesn’t work like that.
But it does. If you really want to get rid of his contract you cant take rooster players with big cap hit back. And he is not worth Zibanejad or 2OA.
But this was not a proposal, I was just wondering what Nashville would want back. Please read properly before you answer.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
But it does. If you really want to get rid of his contract you cant take rooster players with big cap hit back. And he is not worth Zibanejad or 2OA.
But this was not a proposal, I was just wondering what Nashville would want back. Please read properly before you answer.

We don’t really want to get rid of him or his contract though so none of what you’re saying applies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Rangers need a 1D . Subban is signed for 3 more years with a cap hit of 9 mill. 3 years of Subban gives Rangers time to develop their own young RDs.
If I understand it correctly the rumour is that Preds want to trade Subban to make room for Duchene.

The 2OA and Zibanejad would be off limits. And the young russians signed this spring I guess, What could Nashville want back? Only picks and prospects? Shattenkirk with 50% (app. 3,3 mill) retention to use on the p0werplay? Could he be part of a package?
I love PK but no. He is going to cost too much and it isn't what we need right now. If we were another 12-24 months into our rebuild and starting to go on the upswing, maybe. But not now.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
You guys don’t understand the OP.

The Rangers moved vets like Nash, Grabner, Zuccarello, Hayes, McDonagh, Miller, and Holden for futures so we have the necessary assets to trade for Subban.

This was all part of Gortons master plan. You cannot rebuild a team without a 30 year old declining Dmen with 3 years left on his term in today’s NHL.

We’re basically leasing Subban, and then in 3 years when we’re competitive again, he’ll be a UFA!

I’d start with our 2nd OA as a base.
OblongSharpAfricanpiedkingfisher-small.gif

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
You guys don’t understand the OP.

The Rangers moved vets like Nash, Grabner, Zuccarello, Hayes, McDonagh, Miller, and Holden for futures so we have the necessary assets to trade for Subban.

This was all part of Gortons master plan. You cannot rebuild a team without a 30 year old declining Dmen with 3 years left on his term in today’s NHL.

We’re basically leasing Subban, and then in 3 years when we’re competitive again, he’ll be a UFA!

I’d start with our 2nd OA as a base.
OblongSharpAfricanpiedkingfisher-small.gif
I take the irony and understand that you do not want a value on Subban to Rangers. But why do you bring up the 2nd OA? I think I was clear that that pick was not available. Did you read the post at all? Honest question.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
If I'm looking for a RHD in Gorton's situation, I'd rather just pay money for Karlsson than assets for subban.
Can understand that. Though many are afraid of the long contract and that it could become some kind of anchor. Subban is signed for 3 more years.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I take the irony and understand that you do not want a value on Subban to Rangers. But why do you bring up the 2nd OA? I think I was clear that that pick was not available. Did you read the post at all? Honest question.
I did but I was trying to be cute:wedgie:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What do I know, but I really think many fans underestimate the impact of taking on 9m in cap space in one trade. Like sure, if Dallas is willing to take back contracts big names will be involved.

But a big factor in a cap world is performance/cap hit. You can certainly argue that Subban is a negative in that regard, we shouldn’t underrate him but 9m per is an awful lot and he isn’t perfect in all situations.

The counter argument is of course, ‘a GM can only make performance/cap hit-positive moves and still stand there with a very flawed team’, and that is of course also true. How easy is it to get a top RD? Karlsson? That is a 7 year commitment, Subban is 3 (which is perfect). And with guya like Karlsson that gets ‘close’ to UFA, like 75% resigns before July 1 if not earlier. And it’s not like he wouldn’t have suitors if he got there. It’s not like any GM can just get him if they want.

So again, what do I know, but I would be really surprised if someone moved tier A futures for a player with a 9m contract in the situation Subban is in. OTOH I can understand why GMs would have interest, and when you have a market you also get a price. I do however think that price would stay within limits in relation to Subban.

From NYRs POV I would guess at something like Pionk/Namestnikov/Boo N, a prospect like Nils Lundkvist or someone like that and a 2nd round pick. Just my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad