Subban fights

Ryan_Habs_16

Jul 18, 2004
I like Subban as much as the next guy ad I feel he could be a norris winner in the future, not necessairly this year.

But after his fight with Morrow, I started wondering historically in how many of his fights he falls or goes down (whether its his fault or another factor). So I checked youtube for all his fights I could find and noticed he falls or goes down in the vast majority of them. What do you guys think? Is it a strategy? a form of turtling? I know its not his fortay, but he engages in fighting more often than not.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
What? :huh:

He rarely fights...

4 times, 3 times and 1 times this year. overall he's got about 16 fights since 06-07. still, his point is that there is a pattern of him having a hard time staying on his feet. it's kind of embarrassing actually...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
As mentioned, he just has terrible balance when fighting.

A player like Subban shouldn't be fighting at all, to be honest. He's the star of the team.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Subban shouldn't be fighting period and also shouldn't be all excited after a fight he almost got killed in and be screaming like an idiot

LesHabs66

Apr 11, 2007
Minneapolis MN
It wasn't a thing of beauty but at least P.K. had the nerve to drop his gloves. Funny to see tough guy Morrow opt to not joust with Prust. Gotta add some grit to this team in the off-season. Not cement head goons but players that can stand up to the teams that tee off on guys like Gallagher and Galchenyuk and still contribute to scoring. Prust cannot be the only one that is a threat on this team and survive a full season.

ReppingMTL

Mar 22, 2012
He goes for the haymaker wayyyyy to much. Absolutely no strategy in his fighting lol

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It wasn't a thing of beauty but at least P.K. had the nerve to drop his gloves. Funny to see tough guy Morrow opt to not joust with Prust. Gotta add some grit to this team in the off-season. Not cement head goons but players that can stand up to the teams that tee off on guys like Gallagher and Galchenyuk and still contribute to scoring. Prust cannot be the only one that is a threat on this team and survive a full season.

Morrow isn't a tough guy. He's like 5'11. Just because guy plays a physical game doesn't mean he's a "tough guy" as you're suggesting.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Morrow isn't a tough guy. He's like 5'11. Just because guy plays a physical game doesn't mean he's a "tough guy" as you're suggesting.

So is zach rinaldo... height doesn't mean **** where fighting is concerned. 5'11 guys can take on 6'2 guys for the most part. Some say prust is 5'11 and he held his own against Mclaren!

I don't know what player you've been watching over then past few years, but morrow is one tough cookie. Not a heavyweight, but he can hold his own in a fight.

irregardless, subban has got to fix his fighting style. Drop the gloves and then just hug the *******. Most stars who can't fight do that. Don't just flip flop and go for hay makers.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
He falls because he goes for the hay-maker right away, before even grabbing the other players jersey.

IMO Subban wants no part of fighting, but I don't blame him, so many ppl call him out for not fighting and not standing up for himself that he has to do it, and I noticed that he basically he tries to go for the big punch early, and if it misses, just try to get out safely.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So is zach rinaldo... height doesn't mean **** where fighting is concerned. 5'11 guys can take on 6'2 guys for the most part. Some say prust is 5'11 and he held his own against Mclaren!

I don't know what player you've been watching over then past few years, but morrow is one tough cookie. Not a heavyweight, but he can hold his own in a fight.

irregardless, subban has got to fix his fighting style. Drop the gloves and then just hug the *******. Most stars who can't fight do that. Don't just flip flop and go for hay makers.

Some say Prust is 6'1' also. Fighting means alot, longer reach is where its at.

Let the kid drop them, I prefer that than him turtling or not showing any heart.
This guy is a winner.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
He goes for the haymaker even before getting a grip on the other guy's jersey. It's a matter of technique. Prust could show him a thing or two.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
He falls because he goes for the hay-maker right away, before even grabbing the other players jersey.

IMO Subban wants no part of fighting, but I don't blame him, so many ppl call him out for not fighting and not standing up for himself that he has to do it, and I noticed that he basically he tries to go for the big punch early, and if it misses, just try to get out safely.

I wouldn't call it a "haymaker" exactly buy yeah, not planted and no grab just sailing a right past the opponent will put him off balance. I asked this before but do NHL clubs generally have a guy who coaches players on fighting? I saw that a minor league coach recently got in trouble for giving fighting lessons.

Anyway I'd think it would be fairly simple to learn some basics, but some guys don't appear to have done so?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

What I meant to say is Morrow is tough but not a "tough guy". Big difference.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I wouldn't call it a "haymaker" exactly buy yeah, not planted and no grab just sailing a right past the opponent will put him off balance. I asked this before but do NHL clubs generally have a guy who coaches players on fighting? I saw that a minor league coach recently got in trouble for giving fighting lessons.

Anyway I'd think it would be fairly simple to learn some basics, but some guys don't appear to have done so?

Usually what I see is NHL players practicing with each other at this. It would be great for Subban to stay after a practice to learn a little bit of it with Prust. Learn how to over-grip your opponent's arm, thus having the upper-arm to throw those little left-jabs, how to protect your face, how to learn when to punch (more effective on counter-attacks if you don't have the reach advantage on your opponent)...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Usually what I see is NHL players practicing with each other at this. It would be great for Subban to stay after a practice to learn a little bit of it with Prust. Learn how to over-grip your opponent's arm, thus having the upper-arm to throw those little left-jabs, how to protect your face, how to learn when to punch (more effective on counter-attacks if you don't have the reach advantage on your opponent)...

Or he can continue being a Norris calibre defenceman and not bother with potentially breaking his hand or throwing out a shoulder. There are players paid to do that for him.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Or he can continue being a Norris calibre defenceman and not bother with potentially breaking his hand or throwing out a shoulder. There are players paid to do that for him.

Who do you mean?

Maybe learning fighting skills could help protect some of our guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad