Subban Contract Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I doubt there will be a Subban VI thread though. Now that Eller's done this will happen. I expect a cap hit of 8.5 to 9.

If that happens, we can all breathe a sigh of relief and then realize we have nothing else to talk/discuss/argue about until the new season starts. :laugh:

Well, I guess there is Desharnias vs. Eller vs. Galchenyuk. That never dies.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
From the old CBA, that is what HRR included:

1) NHL Regular Season & Playoff Gate Receipts
2) Pre-Season Games
3) Special Games (International Exhibition Games, etc)
4) NHL National, International and National Digital Broadcasts
5) NHL Networks
6) Local Cable Television Broadcasts
7) Local Pay-Per-View, Satellite and Other Broadcasts
8) Local Over-the-Air Television Broadcasts
9) Local Radio Broadcasts
10) Club Internet
11) Publications
12) In-Arena Novelty Sales
13) Non-Arena Novelty Sales
14) Concessions
15) Luxury Boxes/Suites
16) Club/Premium Seats
17) Fixed Signage/Arena Sponsorships
18) Temporary Signage/Club Sponsorships
19) Dasherboards
20) Parking
21) Other Revenues (sale of game-worn jerseys, skills competitions, open practices, etc)

There are other revenues that are excluded.

So no, I didn't know if HRR=Cap hit.

Very good, that is where HRR comes from, or did in the old CBA. And you do understand that HRR is what the cap is based on, right? You do get that don't you? You do get that in therms of "cap space" you are talking about 50% of hockey related revenue / 30 teams. You do get this don't you?

The CBA does not allow the discussion of player's related HRR or cap for arbitration purposes.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Let's close this thread and re-open it 1 day prior to arbitration, when we'll discuss the 8-years contract at 9,5 M$ that PK will have signed.

pine*

I think if it goes to arbitration, there's no way Subban gets below $7.5 million. Especially when you consider that past arbitration awards (see Shea Weber's $7.5 million) are eligible arguments. And then factor in the Norris.

Those expecting a Alex Pietrangelo type salary (e.g. $5.5 million?), I think you might just be disappointed.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I think if it goes to arbitration, there's no way Subban gets below $7.5 million. Especially when you consider that past arbitration awards (see Shea Weber's $7.5 million) are eligible arguments. And then factor in the Norris.

Those expecting a Alex Pietrangelo type salary (e.g. $5.5 million?), I think you might just be disappointed.

I may have missed one or two of the 241,566 posts, but is there anyone who seriously thinks Subban deserves to get only $5.5??

In fact, I'd guess it's a small minority who think he deserves less than $7.5.

ottawahabs

Jul 22, 2013
6 years at 48mil.

Year 1 - 6.5
Year 2 - 6.5
Year 3 - 8
Year 4 - 9
Year 5 - 9
Year 6 - 9

That contract would make sense. His rfa years paid at pietrangelo/karlsson type dollars, which are good comparables, good ammount of ufa years bought at 9 million, but 6 years instead of 8, which enables him to cash in on another long term contract at a more attractive age then if he was locked up for 8.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Whatever he signs for, I just hope it's going to be for at least 6 years.

I don't mind paying him 10 millions if that's what it takes. I'd certainly mind losing him after a 3 years contract because Bergevin didn't want to spend the extra money to lock him up long-term.

He's a franchise player. I hope the management recognizes that.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Whatever he signs for, I just hope it's going to be for at least 6 years.

I don't mind paying him 10 millions if that's what it takes. I'd certainly mind losing him after a 3 years contract because Bergevin didn't want to spend the extra money to lock him up long-term.

He's a franchise player. I hope the management recognizes that.

Is there an upper limit to what you'd pay him? What would you you say if he wouldn't settle for $10M and demanded what Toews and Kane got or even more? While I admire his ability I wouldn't want him to destroy the team's salary structure and morale.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Is there an upper limit to what you'd pay him? What would you you say if he wouldn't settle for $10M and demanded what Toews and Kane got or even more? While I admire his ability I wouldn't want him to destroy the team's salary structure and morale.

I honestly think that there's very little chance of that happening.

If it does, most of us here will be very, very disappointed.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

I could go to 10.5M. I see him as just as good of a player as Kane, so I got no problem with paying him accordingly.

That being said, I don't think Bergevin will have to go to that extent, because I doubt Subban went to those lengths. 9M seems more likely, and is fair for both parties.

Subban wouldn't have any leverage to ask for Toews/Kane money regardless, but that isn't the question. What matters if we're better off trading Subban if we have to overpay 1M to get him long term... Which I doubt we'd be. Trading away players like that rarely turn out well.

Halifaxhab*

So, all of the real important players have been resigned, how about that plug Subban? :sarcasm:

who gives a crap about that pilon. That guy could break his femur for all I care.

Oh? PK Subban?

Yeah, sign that guy. 5yrs 5M sounds fair

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Let's see how Subby behaves. He could disappoint (and disillusion) a lot of Hab fans who have worshiped him. There's a rapacious agent egging him on who doesn't give a sh.. about the Habs. Never underestimate the seductive aura of money.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
$9.4M x 8 yrs ... and rights to use MB's fashion consultant.

People can't blame Subban and his agent for trying to get the maximum for him, that is their business. If PK can get $9.5M on the UFA market, then that is what is needed to pay him. If he's worth more value than that to the Habs, then there should be no issue on paying him that. If he is less value than that to the Habs, then they need to let him go and get someone else (or more) who is worth that value of $9.5M to them.

People who expect Subban to take a big hit on his income for the prime of his career due to loyalty to the team just aren't being realistic.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That contract would make sense. His rfa years paid at pietrangelo/karlsson type dollars, which are good comparables, good ammount of ufa years bought at 9 million, but 6 years instead of 8, which enables him to cash in on another long term contract at a more attractive age then if he was locked up for 8.

who cares if he can cash another long contract, you lock him up for as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad