TSN: Subban behind Boyle and Letang for Team Canada

void

Jan 5, 2006
Subban will never get the respect he deserves. The media scrutinizes everything he does, players hate him, his own coach doesn't seem very fond of him, Bergevin barely acknowledged his Norris trophy win, and now he isn't good enough for team Canada? It's so ****ed up.

I know I'll get flamed for it but I think his skin colour plays a big part in all of this.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Even if Subban is behind Boyle and Letang, it doesn't mean he's not better, it just means that he's not standing in front of the other two defensemen and that they're both physically standing in front of him, that's all.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I know I'll get flamed for it but I think his skin colour plays a big part in all of this.

I agree with you. I was just thinking that. The deciders of the game can't deal with the swagger and the skin color. Moreover, some of these guys keep their jobs not because of their stratospheric level of intelligence, but because they can impose their authority (which is as much physical presence as anything) and because they are connected with the game as well as have paid their dues to it. You never see the expressions "hockey coach" and "critical thinking" used in the same sentence.

LLoyd Christmas I

Jul 11, 2013
Seeing as how Subban leads the league in points for a d-man and Letang hasn't even played a game this season (and that's just one point) uhh, what?!

Sometimes hockey Canada is just too conservative for its own good.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Team Canada passed on 38 year old Scott Stevens in 2002, and they should pass on 37 year old Dan Boyle this time. I refuse to believe he is serious competition for Subban going into this Olympics.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I can't believe you guys are falling for this crapola.

TSN is in the ratings game and one way to get ratings is to stir up controversy. And what better way to stir up crap than to dis a favorite player from this neck of the woods.

Dreger and TSN are trolling you and you guys are falling for it. Look at who they're claiming are ahead of PK. Boyle & Letang. Man you guys are being played.

No way the Team Canada brain trust has a 37 year old at the end of his career and a d-man who has been less than stellar or healthy the last two years.

This is just a tempest in a teacup dreamt up by the TSN staff.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Team Canada passed on 38 year old Scott Stevens in 2002, and they should pass on 37 year old Dan Boyle this time. I refuse to believe he is serious competition for Subban going into this Olympics.

According to the TO media pundits (who are given more credibility than they deserve, but nevertheless act in some manner to shape general perception), Boyle is ahead so... yeah.

It's kind of sad that we need to hope that TC values Subban more than recently-injured veterans who are really pushing it in terms of age instead of comparing him directly to players that are similar in age like Pietrangelo and Doughty who both seem to be locks... and Letang as well.

LLoyd Christmas I

Jul 11, 2013
I can't believe you guys are falling for this crapola.

TSN is in the ratings game and one way to get ratings is to stir up controversy. And what better way to stir up crap than to dis a favorite player from this neck of the woods.

Dreger and TSN are trolling you and you guys are falling for it. Look at who they're claiming are ahead of PK. Boyle & Letang. Man you guys are being played.

No way the Team Canada brain trust has a 37 year old at the end of his career and a d-man who has been less than stellar or healthy the last two years.

This is just a tempest in a teacup dreamt up by the TSN staff.

They also have access to the people running the show, they may just be reiterating the sentiments they hear.

No smoke w/o fire.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Are you ****ing kidding me TSN. Subban is behind Boyle, Letang, and the most overrated defenceman of the last decade Jay Bouwmeester . Holy crap.

If Babcock is going to sacrifice talent for left right shot balance on defence then good luck to him. you think the world won't be relieved to see Bouwmeester and Boyle on an international ice surface.

None of these words are out of Babcock's mouth so lets see what transpires.

Oh, and I love that the sole PK highlight that TSN has is a giveaway up the middle. Not one of his league leading offensive plays.

As Bob Mackenzie said - "Mushroom Cloud in Montreal"

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
CFL:
Stegall, Dunnigan, Schultz, Climie, LaPolice etc.

NFL:
Billick, Sapp, Sanders, Theismann, Dukes etc.

NBA:
Barkley, Shaq, Gundy, Johnson, Scott, Kerr, etc.

NHL:
Cherry, Stock, Dreger, Ward, Mackenzie, Friedman etc.

Does anyone else see an issue with this?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
So you guys are just figuring out now Hockey Canada is an Old Boys Club and nothing more? Its been this way forever, and sorry it's nothing to do with skin color, so you homers can cut that out.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
CFL:
Stegall, Dunnigan, Schultz, Climie, LaPolice etc.

NFL:
Billick, Sapp, Sanders, Theismann, Dukes etc.

NBA:
Barkley, Shaq, Gundy, Johnson, Scott, Kerr, etc.

NHL:
Cherry, Stock, Dreger, Ward, Mackenzie, Friedman etc.

Does anyone else see an issue with this?

There's Kevin Weekes but he only gets a word in when the other guys are exhausted and have to take a long breath simultaneously . Even then Stock usually cuts him off after 4 seconds.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
There's Kevin Weekes but he only gets a word in when the other guys are exhausted and have to take a long breath simultaneously . Even then Stock usually cuts him off after 4 seconds.

I'm a big fan of Kevin Weekes, he knows his stuff and can share his knowledge intelligently.

My biggest issue is the lack of successful players, coaches, and GMs as analysts.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I'm a big fan of Kevin Weekes, he knows his stuff and can share his knowledge intelligently.

My biggest issue is the lack of successful players, coaches, and GMs as analysts.

Agree on Weekes, wish the other clowns would take more pauses and let him come in with his usually salient points.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Who cares... Crosby wasn't invited in the Olympics as well... There are still the ones after 2014. It's no big deal, what so ever.

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
The only other two Canadian defenseman that really step their performance up when the game is on the line is doughty and keith, I don't see how you can leave subban off the team with his ability to change the momentum of the game by himself.

holyhabs

Jun 9, 2007
I swear if Price wasnt going to be their starter I would root against them.

Subban > Canada

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
If it's true, Team Canada are idiots.

But it might not be, Dreger is just a shill for Dave Nonis at this point. I'm just surprised he didn't say Phaneuf is ahead of Subban for Team Canada.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
a 37 year who just got concussed pretty ****in hard and letang, whos weaker than subban both offencively and defencively(he won a norris over him ffs) are ahead of pk for team canada

never thought id see the day..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad