NFL: Study says Bills have the most drunken fans and Bengals have the most sober fans

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I don't get it either. I have a few beers before the game but never to the point of other people I'll see at games stumbling around with no clue what's going on or bent over in their seat puking their guts out. It's wasting money on a ticket if you're going to do that at the game.

TV attention lol. College games I'd get it. Its part of the experience. But at pro games the prices are too high. Now, if I'm tailgating before the game.....maybe. But even then if I wanted to go to a game I'd rather watch it. If its an awful game I couldn't blame someone for wanting to be blitzed.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Buffalo has it's own Deadspin weekly thing with ridiculous fans. That's all you need to know

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
The article mentions that it is a flawed study that doesn't have accurate stats. People don't care though. it is just another excuse to **** on Buffalo.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Well I believe its the only place where a fan has drunkenly fallen from the upper deck(excluding that bears fan back in the day trying to catch the football) atleast that guy seemed to have a purpose. Albeit dumb move.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I can understand football. Half the experience is tailgating before the game where people can get hammered before they even enter the stadium.

Same. I actually want to watch and pay attention to the game. No problem with having a beer or two during, but just go get drunk afterwards if you want to that bad. It'll be cheaper too.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The article mentions that it is a flawed study that doesn't have accurate stats. People don't care though. it is just another excuse to **** on Buffalo.

I'm not ******** on them, I think it's endearing and I feel like they have one of the most passionate fan bases out there. The fact that they still get out and rally for the team after the past two decades shows their passion.

Those tailgates are nuts, it's a bunch of maniacs in zubaz at .15 BAC performing 1999 WWF finishing moves on each other. I love everything about it, seems like a wild time.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Same. I actually want to watch and pay attention to the game. No problem with having a beer or two during, but just go get drunk afterwards if you want to that bad. It'll be cheaper too.

This x1000. I will occasionally have a beer or two when going at a sporting event, but I don't get hammered as I wanna ENJOY the game itself. Sports are my #1 passion in life, so, when I attend a game, I wanna experience it 100%.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I will only get mildly drunk if I'm with somebody sober. Otherwise I'll just casually drink like 2-3 over the course of the game (for a very reasonable $164)

The last time I went to a game mildly drunk I singlehandedly caused a false start (or at least that is what I have convinced myself)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No, it is not.

Drunks don't drink good beer, they drink whatever will make them drunk. People that appreciate good beer likely won't get super drunk. They love the taste of it, not just the effect.

Pretty much...I know I'm that way, at least.

I drink at basically every sporting event I go to, but I've never once been drunk at a sporting event.

That said, the Bengals being least drunk still surprises me considering most Bengal fans I know are either moonshine downers or, like my brother-in-law, a case of Bud Light during football guy. Nothing wrong with that at all (well, the moonshine, Bud Light is an crime against humanity), just not what I expected at all.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Good beer is more filling so it would make sense that if you have a good beer selection you won't get that many drunk people. The better the beer the higher its cost. Also the more upscale stuff has a higher alcohol content. The people buying the best beers aren't those buying bud light. Getting drunk off of a beer like a Sam Adams for example is the worst and instead of like 15 it takes a third of that(maybe even less) I'm not a beer snob and I don't even drink it much anymore but I'd want the best in the selection and enjoy 2-3 during the game. One in the first half, one at halftime and one in the second half possibly.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Good beer is more filling so it would make sense that if you have a good beer selection you won't get that many drunk people. The better the beer the higher its cost. Also the more upscale stuff has a higher alcohol content. The people buying the best beers aren't those buying bud light. Getting drunk off of a beer like a Sam Adams for example is the worst and instead of like 15 it takes a third of that(maybe even less) I'm not a beer snob and I don't even drink it much anymore but I'd want the best in the selection and enjoy 2-3 during the game. One in the first half, one at halftime and one in the second half possibly.

San Diego is #6 on that list though, which is curious. There's a boatload of terrific craft breweries there, not that they are all necessarily available at the stadium.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I'd think San Diego would be the most expensive place. Its a really expensive place to live and I have no idea how someone who isn't in the armed forces or a pro athlete can do it. I've heard many get out of the service, try to stay there and can't even last a year.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
No, it is not.

Drunks don't drink good beer, they drink whatever will make them drunk. People that appreciate good beer likely won't get super drunk. They love the taste of it, not just the effect.

Start with the good stuff, switch to the cheap stuff, hell I learned that in high school.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Screen-Shot-2013-09-03-at-12.28.47-PM.png

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I'm not ******** on them, I think it's endearing and I feel like they have one of the most passionate fan bases out there. The fact that they still get out and rally for the team after the past two decades shows their passion.

Those tailgates are nuts, it's a bunch of maniacs in zubaz at .15 BAC performing 1999 WWF finishing moves on each other. I love everything about it, seems like a wild time.

It's absolutely a wild time. I don't think anyone bagging on the drunk Bills fans would keep their opinion if they went to a game. The Sabres games at the Aud used to be crazy parties, too. I'm very glad the Bills tailgates haven't gone the same way, led by the judgmental, hand-sanitizing generation.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It's absolutely a wild time. I don't think anyone bagging on the drunk Bills fans would keep their opinion if they went to a game. The Sabres games at the Aud used to be crazy parties, too. I'm very glad the Bills tailgates haven't gone the same way, led by the judgmental, hand-sanitizing generation.

I've been to give or take 20 bills games. The people are why I have zero intention to go again. The last time I went was because the packers were there. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have gone again.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I've been to give or take 20 bills games. The people are why I have zero intention to go again. The last time I went was because the packers were there. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have gone again.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, and probably not a great family idea. There's always the pumpkin farm though, where Buffalonians can really let loose. I, personally wouldn't return to an experience that I felt ungratifying either. To me that would be a bunch of sober people over-reacting to everything. ex: a pop concert.

I'll change my term anyone(my bad choice) to many.

Bottom line, let people do what they like(harmlessly). If it offends you avoid it, don't try to change their demographics to suit yourself. A huge modern problem.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
After hearing this I can see why so many Bills fans don't want a stadium downtown. I think most are afraid the tailgating will change and they won't be able to get drunk before the game starts. I don't have a problem with people getting drunk at a game but my issue is the fights that seem to break out cause of it.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
After hearing this I can see why so many Bills fans don't want a stadium downtown. I think most are afraid the tailgating will change and they won't be able to get drunk before the game starts. I don't have a problem with people getting drunk at a game but my issue is the fights that seem to break out cause of it.

I get you, but it's probably a surprisingly low number considering how many people are amped up like gladiators(no lie, that's how I feel walking in). I'd imagine the same number of fights or more happen in bars during the same weekend. Nature of the beast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad