Waived: Stu Bickel(Cleared);assigned to AHL

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
Chris Neil was more effective than Matt Carkner.. Carkner just did something stupid and is a bad hockey player. he is nothing special..he was drafted in 99 and didnt play in the NHL on a regular basis till 10 years later in 2009.. he is just a more skilled Stu Bickel.. it took him 10 years to make the NHL after he was drafted :help::laugh:

He stuck up for a teammate and abused our 6'6 3rd line center who has one goal since. :sarcasm:

I'd take Neil or carkner in a heartbeat, intimidation doesn't make the stat sheet but plays it's part just ask Boyle :laugh:

Punxrocknyc19*

He stuck up for a teammate and abused our 6'6 3rd line center who has one goal since. :sarcasm:

I'd take Neil or carkner in a heartbeat, intimidation doesn't make the stat sheet but plays it's part just ask Boyle :laugh:

i want guys who can intimidate without being a liability on the ice and with some skill. not guys who just fight and do nothing else useful like Scott, Parros Orr etc... he would be an improvement over Bickel.. glad he will be gone hopefully

Crazed Beaver

Jul 3, 2012
Swamp
i want guys who can intimidate without being a liability on the ice and with some skill. not guys who just fight and do nothing else useful like Scott, Parros Orr etc... he would be an improvement over Bickel.. glad he will be gone hopefully

So do I, but we have neither.

hollenbeezy

Jun 28, 2010
San Francisco, CA
that's Sather's fault. i dont think its a coincidence that the Rangers were a top team when there had more grit and toughness on their team..

Grit and toughness don't magically make the puck go in the net.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Richards and Gaborik have been awful, and now the team is struggling to make the playoffs.

See ya, Stu. Enjoy the AHL.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
Kinda OT, but we have such bad luck with enforcers, they all get injured.
Brashear, Boogaard (rip) , Asham. Every off season we bring a big man in. Then by the second half of the season he's done.

Punxrocknyc19*

Kinda OT, but we have such bad luck with enforcers, they all get injured.
Brashear, Boogaard (rip) , Asham. Every off season we bring a big man in. Then by the second half of the season he's done.

Prust was the best one we had since Darren Langdon.. although Barnaby wasnt bad here during the dark years :help:

haha A Sham LMAO

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I liked Bicks quite a but his first 30 games up, but by then the book on him was out, no lateral mobility, not a great decision maker, can't hit, and will take minor penalties trying to throw one.

Players knew to take it wide on him and were going to score, or draw a penalty. Look at the players that scored highlight reel goals on Bicks, Matt Hunwick looked like a Norris candidate because Bicks repeatedly telegraphs what he is going to do, and bites first doing it.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I liked Bicks quite a but his first 30 games up, but by then the book on him was out, no lateral mobility, not a great decision maker, can't hit, and will take minor penalties trying to throw one.

Players knew to take it wide on him and were going to score, or draw a penalty. Look at the players that scored highlight reel goals on Bicks, Matt Hunwick looked like a Norris candidate because Bicks repeatedly telegraphs what he is going to do, and bites first doing it.
Good summary. Looks like exactly what happened. When he was burned by Vitale it was the beginning of the end. The hate around here exploded.

JayQueensNY88*

I am not expecting a great move. I am expecting another John Scott type move. Why would I expect anything more. But you never know,have to wait and see

I remember that NYR Isles game,Messier choking Blake is priceless

NHRangerfan

So who is the next whipping boy? All of these "flaws" Bickel has who is responsible for them not being fixed? Doesn't that go to player development and the coaching staff?

With this move the Cup is now ours :sarcasm:

A number 8 dman who averaged 5:30 TOI this season in 16 games...which is really skewed by 2 games where he got 10 and 14 minutes, 3-0 loss to MTL and 6-3 loss to Pens, aside from these 2 games his next highest TOI is 7:16.

As Yogi said this is deja vu all over again, a lot of the stuff being posted about Bickel was the same stuff posted about Sauer...I'm not saying Bickel is Sauer or that he could even turn out to be Sauer. Not every dman matures as quickly as a Sauer or McD.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
NH, if Bickel was 22 I would agree. But he's not, he is 26. Bickel is what he is. You have to be impressed by a guy who worked his way up from the ECHL to a marginal NHL player, but that's as far as he's going to get.

NHRangerfan

NH, if Bickel was 22 I would agree. But he's not, he is 26. Bickel is what he is. You have to be impressed by a guy who worked his way up from the ECHL to a marginal NHL player, but that's as far as he's going to get.

No way implying he could be a Top 6 guy, and since none of us are in the room or at practice it's just a guess on my part regarding development but he only played one full season in the A 54 games and partial last season 24 games, 81 total.

He's only 10 months older than Sauer who played 2 full seasons in the A, 71 and 64 games and one partial season 42, 177 total.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
No way implying he could be a Top 6 guy, and since none of us are in the room or at practice it's just a guess on my part regarding development but he only played one full season in the A 54 games and partial last season 24 games, 81 total.

He's only 10 months older than Sauer who played 2 full seasons in the A, 71 and 64 games and one partial season 42, 177 total.

He isn't top 6, but not for lack of development opportunity. Bickel played less in the A because he spent time in the ECHL. He also didn't only spend time in the Rangers organization.

The comparable to Sauers development isn't really apt IMO. Sauer broke into the NHL at 23. Probably would've done it earlier had he not had injury issues when he was 22.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
my guess is if he gets claimed its Ottawa. They want toughness. Got Matt Kassian but it will give them some depth. Here's hoping! Otherwise he's in the minors anyway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad