Recalled/Assigned: Strome returned to the OHL

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
He looked horrible last night, but so did everyone else.

Needs to make decisions faster. The pace of the game seems too fast at times for him and I'm not talking about skating.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I'd like HBK's read.

I think you give it 9 then make a call. Liked his game against San Jose. Invisible last night. AHL is best option and I'd try to sneak in a conditioning stint at some point.

I'm not worried about Strome long-term. Right now he's just caught between leagues.

WJC may be best thing for him.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think you give it 9 then make a call. Liked his game against San Jose. Invisible last night. AHL is best option and I'd try to sneak in a conditioning stint at some point.

I'm not worried about Strome long-term. Right now he's just caught between leagues.

WJC may be best thing for him.

It seems like Strome is just not ready yet. DVO/Chychrun/Crouse all seem to make good plays even Dauphin. Strome just isn't a factor without the puck. With the puck, he has been just ok so far. I am not down on him, I just think it will take some time. He reminds me of Briere in a way when he entered the NHL. The question is, do they keep him and move him in and out of the line up with NHL coaching or send him down for the year? I think they keep him and give him spot action. Over the season, I think he will start to put it together and become a regular late this year or start of next.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It seems like Strome is just not ready yet. DVO/Chychrun/Crouse all seem to make good plays even Dauphin. Strome just isn't a factor without the puck. With the puck, he has been just ok so far. I am not down on him, I just think it will take some time. He reminds me of Briere in a way when he entered the NHL. The question is, do they keep him and move him in and out of the line up with NHL coaching or send him down for the year? I think they keep him and give him spot action. Over the season, I think he will start to put it together and become a regular late this year or start of next.

That's a very expensive way to try to substitute a year in the AHL. I understand the thinking that another year in the Juniors won't help him much, but we're burning a year on his contract.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That's a very expensive way to try to substitute a year in the AHL. I understand the thinking that another year in the Juniors won't help him much, but we're burning a year on his contract.

The question is, what is best for his development? Is it juniors or playing 30-40 games in the NHL this year and getting practices and coaching at the NHL level? I am less worried about a year of his ELC and more concerned with what is best for his development and future.

I wonder if the Coyotes are a little disappointed right now. Was Strome really at least 2 years behind Eichel/Mcjesus when drafted? Assuming he does not come around this year. They sent Domi back twice and look how he has turned out so far. But he is a winger, way easier transition. It is tougher for centers and D to make the transition.

I am hoping and thinking Strome turns out ok but maybe not that great for us. If last years draft were done over again, Chychrun would be the 3 pick, maybe 2nd, so we kind of won the lottery in a way.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The question is, what is best for his development? Is it juniors or playing 30-40 games in the NHL this year and getting practices and coaching at the NHL level? I am less worried about a year of his ELC and more concerned with what is best for his development and future.

I wonder if the Coyotes are a little disappointed right now. Was Strome really at least 2 years behind Eichel/Mcjesus when drafted? Assuming he does not come around this year. They sent Domi back twice and look how he has turned out so far. But he is a winger, way easier transition. It is tougher for centers and D to make the transition.

I am hoping and thinking Strome turns out ok but maybe not that great for us. If last years draft were done over again, Chychrun would be the 3 pick, maybe 2nd, so we kind of won the lottery in a way.

I don't think teams give a s--- about ELC's. It's about winning and developing the player. For me, Strome has been my biggest disappointment, but going back to junior will not help his development. He has big time talent but right now his confidence is low, but he needs urgency and compete in his game. I'm hoping once he pots that first goal everything will fall into place.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Strome is right where the experts predicted. There is nothing here that is surprising to anyone who watched this kid his draft year. Strome was always a bit of a project. He was drafted because of positional need and long term potential. Not on where he was going to be 5 games into his First NHL season. Go back to the threads his draft year.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I think Strome has just lost his confidence a bit. I think he will be fine in the end but it is hard to know what to do with him this year since the AHL is not an option. A lot of it is he still needs to grow into his body.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome is right where the experts predicted. There is nothing here that is surprising to anyone who watched this kid his draft year. Strome was always a bit of a project. He was drafted because of positional need and long term potential. Not on where he was going to be 5 games into his First NHL season. Go back to the threads his draft year.

We sometimes forget these are just kids and they will continue to develop for years, some faster than others.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We like to use the "overcooked" theme with our prospects, but one of the talking heads had a good analogy:

Strome has already aced high school (the OHL), but he's not quite ready for university (the NHL). So what's better for him at this point - go get straight A's again in Grade 12, or slowly work his way into uni?

The AHL (community college) is not an option for the purposes of this story :laugh:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That's pretty good. I know lots of kids who went back to high school to improve on subjects they weren't strong in before starting University. They still went to University and graduated and then moved on to good careers.
We like to use the "overcooked" theme with our prospects, but one of the talking heads had a good analogy:

Strome has already aced high school (the OHL), but he's not quite ready for university (the NHL). So what's better for him at this point - go get straight A's again in Grade 12, or slowly work his way into uni?

The AHL (community college) is not an option for the purposes of this story :laugh:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's not uncommon up here in Canada. Many kids might go back to upgrade their marks to help them prepare for Univ or to get them a better chance at getting in Program they want.
How do you go back to high school after you graduate?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's not uncommon up here in Canada. Many kids might go back to upgrade their marks to help them prepare for Univ or to get them a better chance at getting in Program they want.
They don't graduate...
They hold off graduating for another year.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Using this analogy - Strome would go back to High School to work on weaker parts of his game-- and hit the gym. He would dominate it, but the focus would be on keeping the good things great and pulling up the weaker things.

It may take awhile with him if something doesn't click soon. Just have to be patient.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Not my experience here in SK.

I know some who were able to take high school classes at SIAST, and did so over high school because the thought of going back was embarrassing. /OHL could be like that for Strome

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Nutana Collegiate in Saskatoon has a program designed for kids who need to go back for whatever reason. I own a retail business and have had many kids work for me who went through there and have moved on to rewarding careers. Needing a little more development should not be embarassing for anyone. It doesn't seem Domi is suffering from the decision.
I know some who were able to take high school classes at SIAST, and did so over high school because the thought of going back was embarrassing. /OHL could be like that for Strome

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Using this analogy - Strome would go back to High School to work on weaker parts of his game-- and hit the gym. He would dominate it, but the focus would be on keeping the good things great and pulling up the weaker things.

It may take awhile with him if something doesn't click soon. Just have to be patient.

As much as Strome dominated the ohl statistically, his speed and physical game (or lack thereof) made him invisible come playoff time and against most of the top teams. He didn't dominate and take over games as a player that couldn't be stopped like Dvorak or Marner. Looking at stats is premature when most of his numbers were PP points or putting up 4/5 points vs the bottom feeders in the league. As someone that has watched him play hundreds of games in Erie, trust me when I say that he isn't some unstoppable force in the ohl. He could still improve some things and in my view if Strome is ever going to be a successful NHL player he needs to improve the skating and especially his physical game. If the coyotes view that as well sending him back to play against 17-21 year olds and telling him to use the body more might be good "practice" for him against competition that won't necessarily beat him up but he can sorta work on that side of his game. Also come February to the end of the year the ohl becomes much more competitive with top teams and defense first. Maybe the coyotes are waiting to send him to the WJC then back to Erie come middle of January. Best of both worlds- learns some of the NHL game but also gets to play meaningful minutes and playoff time in Erie where he can work on the things they have preached to him

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Strome will eventually be sent down. Right now they are trying to work with him to add muscle and get full time attention with skating coach. Plan seems to include a "conducting stint" in A which is why he's being scratched. Expect him on Team Canada.

My opinion.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
And then the rest of the year in Erie. I agree that is the plan and best for him at this point. How many games somewhere does he need to play to be ready for a world class tournament?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It's worth remembering with Strome that he's 6'3". The offensive players who step right in and make an impact at his age are rarely that tall and pretty much never as lanky. If the Coyotes had tried to play Blake Wheeler when he was 19, he would have looked much, much worse than what Strome has shown so far. If Strome ends up being as effective as Wheeler has been these past few years, he was worth the pick they used on him.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I don't really know the thought process for Strome but the theory has to be that they don't want him to reach the 10 game threshold before WJC. I would be shocked if he isn't sent there to play. He isn't ready for a full NHL season, not close. And WJC is some of the most talented under 20 year olds. He belongs there if he ain't playing in NHL. At that point I think they re-evaluate him. WJC camp roster usually comes out the first week to early second week of December. If he's on that and hasn't played 10 games yet I would bet there is a 50/50 shot he returns to junior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad