Recalled/Assigned: Strome returned to the OHL

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What the hell happened. In some predictions he was a Calder contender...

I'm going to assume this is a serious question and not a drive-by troll. I don't know what predictions you saw that had him as a Calder candidate, but they must have been very specialized and local because most of the assessments I've seen have him as a work-in-progress player, which is precisely what he is. (Unless, of course, you read content from Toronto which basically call him a bust in order to inflate the tires of Mitch Marner.)

The upshot is that Strome is not an "instant star" of a McDavid- or Matthews-caliber sort. He's going to be a good, if not great, player in the league for a long time but he's got work to do to get there... like most other prospects drafted into the NHL.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I'm going to assume this is a serious question and not a drive-by troll. I don't know what predictions you saw that had him as a Calder candidate, but they must have been very specialized and local because most of the assessments I've seen have him as a work-in-progress player, which is precisely what he is. (Unless, of course, you read content from Toronto which basically call him a bust in order to inflate the tires of Mitch Marner.)

The upshot is that Strome is not an "instant star" of a McDavid- or Matthews-caliber sort. He's going to be a good, if not great, player in the league for a long time but he's got work to do to get there... like most other prospects drafted into the NHL.

This was their second post.

ARoth

Dec 26, 2014
Actually both The Hockey News and The Sports Forecaster had Strome as a Calder candidate.

Well that was stupid, because he cant skate at this level, and its not even a question. I couldnt believe how evident it was in person.

I agree with The Feckless Puck though, hes going to be a very good NHL center. He has the hands, vision and smarts already.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Well that was stupid, because he cant skate at this level, and its not even a question. I couldnt believe how evident it was in person.

I agree with The Feckless Puck though, hes going to be a very good NHL center. He has the hands, vision and smarts already.

Well he did get drafted third overall in a very good draft class... so it cant be that suprising for him to be a calder contender

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I haven't seen anything out of Canada regarding Strome being a bust? Guess it's possible I missed it? I did however see TSN wondering if Matthews had hit a wall after getting only 10 points in his first 9 NHL games?? No pressure for the kid.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
What did happen? Have I missed something? Was he in an accident something? Someone fill me in, what's this guy talking about?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What did happen? Have I missed something? Was he in an accident something? Someone fill me in, what's this guy talking about?

There's a pretty dedicated group of people out there spreading FUD about Strome. Coyotes prospects usually don't get this amount of negative attention. Going to go out out on a limb and say it has something to do with the guy taken behind him.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't seem to be finding any online info with anyone calling Strome a bust. I have read a couple of pieces comparing Strome and Marner but I can't say they were unfair. I think it's kinda normal to compare draft picks from same draft.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think there were people calling him a bust. There were media types openly questioning the leave him in the NHL but scratch him till he's up to speed strategy. Mostly on radio, twitter, and in blogs.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Tell you what. If he plays the rest of the season like he did against San Jose the Coyotes will be very happy. Judge at end of season. Not after 4 games.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Strome is gonna be just fine. Once he gets the right line mates and finds his groove he's gonna impress a lot of people. His vision and playmaking ability is elite and his shot is so wicked and exactly what we need on this team. He's not gonna get the opportunity to win the Calder but I don't think any of us Coyotes fans ever expected that anyways.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I did...but I also thought he'd be your 2C this season with a bunch of pp time.

AZR_NOVE15_TAKINGLIBERTIES_Tippett_PHOTO1-628x456.jpg

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
[MOD]

Strome is doing just fine. Who cares if he wins the Calder or not!

Last edited by a moderator:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Marner is doing great. He's probably the better pick.

That said, we have a serious coaching problem.

It might be bad enough to torch the entire rebuild we've had to suffer through.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Marner is doing great. He's probably the better pick.

That said, we have a serious coaching problem.

It might be bad enough to torch the entire rebuild we've had to suffer through.

Torch the entire rebuild?:facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad