Speculation: Strome, Nylander or Gaudette: who do you expose in the ED??

Who would you expose?

• Total voters

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
That Nylander you describe was not that way 80% of the time at all. You're judging soundly more off the playoffs, where we know he was hurt but somehow people can't change that picture off of later received information.

On the 4th line with Highmore/Kampf/Carpenter players he was great at playing north-south, picking off passes on forechecks, getting the puck in and setting up or creating some plays with north-south guys. From January to the end of the regular season he was like that when he played with them, then got that hot streak with Strome and Kane. Then he was hurt and bad in the playoffs which don't mean a whole lot
Yeah, it's very harsh to judge a player on a couple playoff series where the guy was playing injured and had to miss the entirety of the following season with said injury.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No thanks.
Both Nylander and Strome are very frustrating because they have the talent but don't have the compete level. Strome is probably more frustrating because we've seen what he can do when he does compete, and it's pretty good. He just chooses to float most of the time. I don't even think he's as bad of a skater as he shows at the NHL level, he's just lazy and going at 75-80% on his shifts.

I think if he tried and did what he was supposed to, Strome would be a 75 pt C that was slightly below average to moderately below average defensively.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
So the argument is tha Nylander had a stretch of games equal to Gaudette?
Nylander's stretch were games # 60-65 with the team and Gaudette's were games #1-5.

I'd say, advantage Gaudette.

Well no. That Nylander stretch is objectively better. You see bc 5 ES points > 3 ES points and 10 SOG > 5 SOG. Nylander's stretch was also career games 80-84 vs career games 154-158 for Gaudette. And then Gaudette is almost 2 years old than Nylander.

Who did you say advantage for again?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Nope, he has shown a higher hockey IQ, more willingness to go to the dirty areas, and a better compete level night in and night out. Nylander showed a compete level, about 15% of the time. Nylander flies into the opps zone, stops, turns to look for someone and then turns the puck over 80% of the time. The only thing keeping him in the league is his skill, but that will only last so long if he doesn't improve in all the other areas. The real Nylander showed up in the playoffs, 0pts, lack of effort, and a healthy scratch.

I'm curious, in what ways has Gaudette demonstrated to you a high hockey IQ?

The real Nylander was playing through a knee injury that later required surgery.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Well no. That Nylander stretch is objectively better. You see bc 5 ES points > 3 ES points and 10 SOG > 5 SOG. Nylander's stretch was also career games 80-84 vs career games 154-158 for Gaudette. And then Gaudette is almost 2 years old than Nylander.

Who did you say advantage for again?
Who scored more points last year? (in less games)

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Did I say he has a high IQ? No. I said he has a HIGHER IQ, than Nylander. Which isn't that hard, really.

My bad, typo in the post. In what ways has Gaudette demonstrated to you that he has a higher* hockey IQ (than Nylander)?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
My bad, typo in the post. In what ways has Gaudette demonstrated to you that he has a higher* hockey IQ (than Nylander)?
His offensive IQ mainly. He knows what to do with the puck in the offensive zone, Nylander does not possess that same ability. I said in my OP, Nylander just walks into the offensive zone, pulls up, and typically gives it away, or throws it to nobody. I watched that happen many times in his 60+ games last year, and it didn't change as the year went on. Defensively, they both aren't great, Nylander may come off as better because he has the foot speed to put himself in a better position, but neither player is a PK type player, so they are basically a wash in that regard, IMO.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Both Nylander and Strome are very frustrating because they have the talent but don't have the compete level. Strome is probably more frustrating because we've seen what he can do when he does compete, and it's pretty good. He just chooses to float most of the time. I don't even think he's as bad of a skater as he shows at the NHL level, he's just lazy and going at 75-80% on his shifts.

I think if he tried and did what he was supposed to, Strome would be a 75 pt C that was slightly below average to moderately below average defensively.
Nylander shouldn’t be lumped in with Strome at this point. Strome has basically pissed away more great opportunities just this week than Nylander has received total.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad