GDT: Streaking in Dallas

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I watch tons of Caps games too as my wife is a fan, and I agree with BBA. Of course there were other factors in Holtby being a better goalie, such as personnel in front of him. But I don't think it's a stretch to think that a coach and goalie coach that better fit a player's style would have an impact. That's not just goalies, any player might perform better under a certain coach than others. It's not impossible that some of the things they wanted Lack to change could be having a negative impact. Or again, it could just be the tacos or lack of consistent playing time.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Which scenario yields the best sv%?

Scenario 1: Trotz HC, Kolzig GC, Current Roster
Scenario 2: Oates HC, Korn GC, 2013-14 Roster

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Scenario 3: Trotz HC, Korn GC, Current roster. :dunno:

(and for the record, I don't think it was Kolzig, it was what Oates was preaching and forcing them to play).

I get why you are doing this. This is your roundabout way to defend the Canes goaltenders god awful SV% and put 100% of it on the skaters, but that's fine, let's look a bit more at the Holtby situation.

The low point came on Jan. 4 at Minnesota when, after allowing five goals on 11 shots, an expressionless Holtby pondered how he might regain his confidence.

That was the only start he received between Dec. 21 and Jan. 17, and during that time away from games, Holtby said he worked with goaltending coach Olie Kolzig to work some of his original, more aggressive tendencies back into his game. The Capitals denied a request to interview Kolzig at the conclusion of the regular season.

“Olie and I have been on the same page since day one. He’s been keeping me sane through everything,†Holtby said. “We talked about everything and we realized that I had to get back to where my natural instincts led me and we did that as a goaltender-goalie coach tandem, and I think towards the end of the season I think that paid off.â€

In his final 14 games, a more assertive Holtby rebounded with a .927 save percentage. He went 8-2-2 in that stretch even though he didn’t see the bulk of the workload as the Capitals played trade-deadline acquisition Jaroslav Halak heavily.

So there you have it. Same coach (Oates), same skaters, but a goalie coach working with a goalie can help him regain confidence and go from an .870 SV% in 12 games in December and January to a .927 SV% in 14 games later on in the year. Granted, a small sample size, but not insignificant, especially when the goalie himself is telling the reasons why. Not sure why you are so ardent on ignoring what the goalie is saying.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Haha...this is multiple posts now where you mischaracterize my position. I've never said that the Cane's low sv% is 100% due to the skaters...or anything close to it.

Let's say you have 4 significant variables that contribute to goals scored...opponent play, team play (skaters), goalie play, and puck luck. I'd speculate if you were to poll Canes board hf posters on what % they allocate to goalie play this year, the average would be higher than I would assign...but that doesn't mean I think 100% falls on the skaters.

I do think the Caps are a nice example of how improved team play yields a higher sv%...and that the HC change and roster improvement were significant variables...that's all. Is this really controversial?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Haha...this is multiple posts now where you mischaracterize my position. I've never said that the Cane's low sv% is 100% due to the skaters...or anything close to it.

Hyperbole obviously, but then what are you trying to day when you make posts that say:

...but by-and-large he has been fine this year.
referring to Ward. and

They are icing a group of 3 rookies, Hainsey, and JML. I'm as excited as anyone about the young guys, but it ain't pretty right now. Low shot totals are great, but if you **** the bed on a third of em it doesn't matter.
and

Any reasonable person would interpret those posts as you inferring that "the goal tending is fine, it's the players in front of them that are the problem". Don't you agree that a reasonable person would conclude that from your posts?

Let's say you have 4 significant variables that contribute to goals scored...opponent play, team play (skaters), goalie play, and puck luck. I'd speculate if you were to poll Canes board hf posters on what % they allocate to goalie play this year, the average would be higher than I would assign...but that doesn't mean I think 100% falls on the skaters.

Obviously saying 100% was hyperbole, I am meaning that you think the majority of the issue it the skaters.

I do think the Caps are a nice example of how improved team play yields a higher sv%...and that the HC change and roster improvement were significant variables...that's all. Is this really controversial?

Nope, but is it really that controversial to say that Holtby, working with a coach (HIS OWN WORDS) to go back to a style he was comfortable with ended up with better results? even with the same coach an players? Is it really that controversial when the facts back it up? Why do you keep ignoring that? It's really amusing how you refuse to believe the goalies own words and ignore the results at the end of the season just to make your point.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Iirc didn't Khudobin start off well here and get worse over time? Heck even Pete dawg put up okay #s in front of this team tricking Wsh into signing him.

Maybe Marcoux is a n00b.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad