GDT: Streaking in Dallas

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There's no answer for our goaltending. Ward has been mostly awful, with the occasional successful performance. Lack can't even claim the "successful performance" part.

If we hadn't foolishly signed Lack to an extension before the season started, I'd have said let both goaltenders go in the offseason and hunt anew. But since we did, give Lack the starts and hope he gets his head out of his ass.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Damn what a comeback! No one likes moral victories but you really can't ask for more (except average goaltending) I thought they came out strong but got caught by Dallas' skill on the rush. My only concern would be that losing after that effort is deflating. Keep it rolling.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hanifin continues to look better and more confident every game, he really is fun to watch. I hate to get too excited after only this many games, but it's hard not to. Slavin also looked good tonight and Pesce's work along the board continues to impress. Add Fleury to this mix and it's going to be fun to watch. All 4 of them 6'2"-6'3", all 4 of them over 200 lbs, and all can skate well.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I didn't like the 1st ward, 2nd ward or 2nd Lack goals to be honest.

But it really isn't worth arguing. Regardless of what we think about individual goals, a team isn't going to win many games giving 6 goals on 20 shots.

It isn't worth arguing, but I don't blame ward for getting sniped by the leagues best goal scorer wide open on the forehand from 20 ft or less. He's leading the league for a reason. Maybe Ward is deep but I don't think he stops it even if he wasn't.

I get folks agreeing with Trip, but I don't. That's a sick release and perfect placement.

No one can argue with your last sentence.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hanifin continues to look better and more confident every game, he really is fun to watch. I hate to get too excited after only this many games, but it's hard not to. Slavin also looked good tonight and Pesce's work along the board continues to impress. Add Fleury to this mix and it's going to be fun to watch. All 4 of them 6'2"-6'3", all 4 of them over 200 lbs, and all can skate well.

That post I'm down with 100%.:handclap:

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Nhl.com headline tonight if canes win will be "The Faulk in our Stars"

Calling my shot now.

HeNoqcS.png

On Canes website lol.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
At this point, if they don't want Lack embarrassing himself trying to find a groove with a couple NHL starts, send him to Charlotte for a BS conditioning stint like the Leafs just did with Bernier. See if he can work out the kinks down there. Otherwise, give him a couple starts in a row. The team has given up 10 in 2 games so it's not like it could get a whole hell of a lot worse.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Lack played ok in the flyers game 2 weeks or so back

I might put some credence in that if the Flyers didn't have the worst shooting percentage in the entire NHL. Also IIRC, there were a lot of rebounds but the Canes did a good job of keeping the Flyers away from them.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles
The Stars are going to have to score a **** ton of goals in the playoffs to compete. Their defense and goaltending has looked as shaky as their goal scoring has looked good. They have an uncanny ability to blow huge leads.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I know this is just one game among a bunch of stinkers, but there's got to be some thoughts upstairs about being in in ANY other goalie through FA or trade or just calling up one of the younger players in the system. There's no one that could be any worse. I legitimately think that e staal is on the way to a rental and re-signing here- if we have 3 first rounders to add to a team that shows this kind of gumption and can move on from these two pieces of Swiss cheese they may really have something

It is worth looking into. Who is this year's Dubunk or Hamburglar?

Edmonton has probably already given up on Talbot lolol.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I had some stuff going and seen it was 4-0 in the first and didn't bother turning it on.

Faulk was the 2nd star with 2 PPGs. So there's that.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The first 5 goals of the game weren't just lousy goaltending. They were bad all around. The defense and forwards are getting a free pass on a lot of terrible plays because the shot totals are low.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The first 5 goals of the game weren't just lousy goaltending. They were bad all around. The defense and forwards are getting a free pass on a lot of terrible plays because the shot totals are low.

Needless to say, unsurprisingly, there is plenty of blame to go around on this team.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

That's the truth. The fastest and imo best transition team in the game got a free pass from us at least into the second period. We didn't even stand in their way. Ward overplayed the first one but no one seems to be noticing how a team that loves to score had guys streaking untouched into great shooting lanes on the fly. We didn't even stand in their way. Granted we need saves but how do you blame Ward for the shot that was going wide before hitting a player and going in? Or the beautiful pp dish to a wide open Seguin? Ward HAS to challenge the would be shooter on that. We got outworked down low for that play and they buried it.

Blaming the goalies is almost funny in that period, though i agree with everyone overall that one of these guys has to start making the saves that aren't expected and keep us in games. No one is giving any credit to Dallas for being deadly in the offensive zone and on the rush, or assessing any of the obvious blame that we weren't remotely up to snuff on even trying to keep up with them in the first. First goal was a wide open net. True he didn't hit the corner and if Ward hadn't overplayed he might've had it but it was still a wide open shot into a gaping net. The leagues leading goal scorer wide open on the forehand from 15-20 feet on the second, and he made the perfect shot with a pretty release. A goal bouncing in off a player in front was just what happens when you're bad. The Seguin goal for number four was unstoppable and a brilliant play that we got beat down low behind the net on.

Ward got overrun, and has a black cloud but I think only the first one gets stopped by anyone else. I know it doesn't matter on some level, these guys have to start stealing games for us - but could anyone really do that? Dallas looks the 80's Oiler's at times.

Instead of Staal going for a first and a prospect maybe we should see if we could pry a higher end young goalie off a team.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
^Anyone in mind?

Of the contenders I can't think of a young goalie any of them have worth going after. It's not like Anaheim is in a position to trade Gibson for Staal.

Dec 30, 2013
The goalie should always be blamed if he lets in 4 goals in 8 shots. Defensive collapses aside, you've got to make more saves than that.

Heck, don't skaters in the shootout score about 33% of the time? Assuming I'm remembering that correctly, then we would literally have been better off if we had an average goaltender and had given Dallas 10 penalty shots in one period.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

This is spot-on. They are icing a group of 3 rookies, Hainsey, and JML. I'm as excited as anyone about the young guys, but it ain't pretty right now.

Low shot totals are great, but if you **** the bed on a third of em it doesn't matter.

That's the truth. The fastest and imo best transition team in the game got a free pass from us at least into the second period. We didn't even stand in their way. Ward overplayed the first one but no one seems to be noticing how a team that loves to score had guys streaking untouched into great shooting lanes on the fly. We didn't even stand in their way. Granted we need saves but how do you blame Ward for the shot that was going wide before hitting a player and going in? Or the beautiful pp dish to a wide open Seguin? Ward HAS to challenge the would be shooter on that. We got outworked down low for that play and they buried it.

Instead of Staal going for a first and a prospect maybe we should see if we could pry a higher end young goalie off a team.

Many nights this team looks like they are playing defense in an all star game...first period last night was a good example...same with the NJ game a few nights ago...most laid that game on Lack, but go back and watch the highlights of that game...it was embarrassing.

Altshuller is putting up good numbers in Florida this year and I'm guessing will be in Charlotte next year. Nedeljkovic is looking better as he recovers from his surgery (really good first game with Niagra).

In the coming years, Hainsey and JML will be gone, the young d-men will progress and goalies in the system will get be ready for action...if a good AHL level goalie, primed for the NHL happens to be part of the best available package in a theoretical Staal trade that would be great...but I wouldn't go accept a lesser return just to get a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad