Stralman hit on Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
It is a bad hit, possibly deserves a game

Wilson’s victim presser about feeling his head was targeted and he was vulnerable was some comedy gold though

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't quite understand all the people complaining "but if Wilson did it, definite suspension."

Yes, a player who has repeatedly been fined and suspended by the league and has a long history of questionable/dirty hits is going to be punished more harshly than one who has never been suspended in a 10 year career.

That doesn't really seem unfair to me.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The hypocrisy of all of the Caps fans in this thread is hilarious. It's cool if it's your team doing something dirty, but if someone on another team does something to your team nah that's not cool.

BTW I agree this hit on Wilson a dirty hit. But I also think Wilson's 3 headshots were dirty too.. contrary to all you Cap fans opinions.
I don't see any irony.

Wilson was suspended... what's the irony. Caps fans are now saying, okay, if he gets suspended for his hits why is Stralman not?

You'd have a case if Tom Wilson didn't just sit out for three games, you'd have an amazing case if that was the truth. But the fact remains that Tom Wilson missed 3 games in the Stanley Cup playoffs not two weeks ago and here we are with another dangerous hit and people are saying it's not fair to ask for a suspension? I can't follow any of that logic.

We can spin our wheels all day about these fans and their reaction to his suspension, the fact of the matter remains that he was suspended though. So to angle that whole situation as being both a reason why this hit is acceptable and Stralman shouldn't be suspended all while dancing around the Caps cries of inconsistency as being ironic? That's trying to have it both ways.

Wilson was suspended, how that's being used against him in this hit is beyond me.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I don't see any irony.

Wilson was suspended... what's the irony. Caps fans are now saying, okay, if he gets suspended for his hits why is Stralman not?

You'd have a case if Tom Wilson didn't just sit out for three games, you'd have an amazing case if that was the truth. But the fact remains that Tom Wilson missed 3 games in the Stanley Cup playoffs not two weeks ago and here we are with another dangerous hit and people are saying it's not fair to ask for a suspension? I can't follow any of that logic.

We can spin our wheels all day about these fans and their reaction to his suspension, the fact of the matter remains that he was suspended though. So to angle that whole situation as being both a reason why this hit is acceptable and Stralman shouldn't be suspended all while dancing around the Caps cries of inconsistency as being ironic? That's trying to have it both ways.

Wilson was suspended, how that's being used against him in this hit is beyond me.

I guess to be consistent, Stralman should get 2 more chances, right?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
How about the full speed replay?

edit: Looked quite a bit more viscous than the OP's replay:

Honestly that makes it look less bad when you see it realtime. A lot less force than I thought. And on the replay you can see Wilson's head doesn't really make contact with the boards but for some reason he grabs the back of his head while on the ice.

Definitely a penalty, looks like a sell job by Wilson. I'd say maybe a fine at most from the DoPS.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Mhmh.. they would, right? I'm sure they would give him a medal too, right?

Since you are a mind reader I'm happy to offer you the opportunity at a million bucks!

Home

Good luck!

NY Times a reputable enough source for you?

Capitals, Penguins Try to Keep Focus on Series Minus Wilson

Trotz defended Wilson, who has now been disciplined by the department of player safety three times this season.

"It was a collision," Trotz said Wednesday before the suspension was announced. "They hit and to me it looked like body on body. We've stopped it, we've looked at it, there's pictures all over the Internet that you can see. He doesn't leave his feet. It's body-on-body. ... I'm surprised the player has the injury that he has."

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

That's boarding and that was part of their effort to drum up charges to get him in the repeat offender category. It was a body shot he rolled off of, not what Stralman did on a direct line from behind driving the guy's head into the glass.

Again, far worse hits go unpunished at all in this league all the time. This one was all about getting TW a record and is not the same as the Stralman hit.

Nice try.

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
All people are asking for is consistency. If the NHL is trying to get unnecessary headshots out of the game then this needs to be addressed with at least a fine.

Reactions: Lurch

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
That's boarding and that was part of their effort to drum up charges to get him in the repeat offender category. It was a body shot he rolled off of, not what Stralman did on a direct line from behind driving the guy's head into the glass.

Again, far worse hits go unpunished at all in this league all the time. This one was all about getting TW a record and is not the same as the Stralman hit.

Nice try.
this is amazing. yeah, perfectly clean charge/board but the LEAGUE just wanted to make him a repeat offender. it's all part of the plan.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This one especially is disturbing. Under no circumstance was that hit Wilson did necessary at all. He lined that up far enough away to recognize it would be a dangerous play and still decided to do it anyway.

So if Stralman made that exact same hit to Wilson you'd be calling for a 2-4 game suspension?

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013
I don't see any irony.

Assuming the DoPS looks at this and determines it an illegal hit - which I think they should - they will THEN take into account the offender's past history; Stralman hasn't been suspended in his entire 10ish-year career.

Precident has been a phone call, and perhaps a fine for a first-time offender; expecting anything more severe than that is unrealistic....in my opinion.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I guess to be consistent, Stralman should get 2 more chances, right?
Was the argument not that Wilson got 3 games because of the preceding two hits?

No one in their right mind felt like the ZAR hit isolated was worth 3, that number was clearly arrived at given his play in the playoffs before hand.

So yes, to answer your question, he was penalized in a way for his prior hits.

Also sweet avatar but I know that apparently that was a different era.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So apparently Caps fans can't defend a player for taking a bad hit because of the name that's on the back of their jersey? Regardless of who the player was that received that hit from Stralman, that was a very bad hit. Left his feet to launch into the hit, saw numbers, and smashed Wilson's head into the glass. It's hypocrisy from opposing fans that cried in all those Wilson threads that won't admit this hit was bad.

What makes the hit worse is that it definitely was in retaliation to Wilson steam rolling Johnson a few minutes earlier and even dumbass Piere alluded to that during the broadcast.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
I don't see any irony.

All people are asking for is consistency. If the NHL is trying to get unnecessary headshots out of the game then this needs to be addressed with at least a fine.

If this is suspension worthy (I think it is, btw) - How many suspension worthy hits has Wilson dished out that he wasn't suspended for? (Your answer to this question will have a large impact on your credibility going forward)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
So apparently Caps fans can't defend a player for taking a bad hit because of the name that's on the back of their jersey? Regardless of who the player was that received that hit from Stralman, that was a very bad hit. Left his feet to launch into the hit, saw numbers, and smashed Wilson's head into the glass. It's hypocrisy from opposing fans that cried in all those Wilson threads that won't admit this hit was bad.

What makes the hit worse is that it definitely was in retaliation to Wilson steam rolling Johnson a few minutes earlier and even dumbass Piere alluded to that during the broadcast.

It was a bad hit, but he didn't smash Wilson's head into the glass.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Honestly that makes it look less bad when you see it realtime. A lot less force than I thought. And on the replay you can see Wilson's head doesn't really make contact with the boards but for some reason he grabs the back of his head while on the ice.

Definitely a penalty, looks like a sell job by Wilson. I'd say maybe a fine at most from the DoPS.
It is pretty clear it hits the glass.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
It is pretty clear it hits the glass.
It's not really.

From the angle in the stands you can see his shoulder takes most if not all of the impact on the glass. His head might have touched the glass but was hardly smashed into it. The shoulder is what's clearly making the glass flex.

And in full disclosure I'm rooting for the Caps to win the series. As much as I liked Yzerman when he played, f*** Tampa. But that doesn't change what a dirty player Wilson is for me.

Reactions: gopens66

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It was a bad hit, but he didn't smash Wilson's head into the glass.
So Wilson's head didn't make contact with the glass? Because that Youtube video clearly shows based on the reverse angle that he does make contact with the glass with his head/face and that's due to the launching into the hit by Stralman. Head wasn't the principle point of contact, but that doesn't matter as discussed ad nauseam in the Wilson/ZAR thread.

Reactions: g00n

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
The hypocrisy on both sides of the argument, right? Please don't tell me you think this only goes one way.
Of course not, I was talking about the ones who are happy that Wilson was hitted by Stralman but they are the first ones to cry when it's Wilson the hitter. Just imagine the reactions on this board if Wilson was the one who hitted Stralman the same way. A bad hit is a bad hit no matter who is the hitter and who is the victim.

Reactions: haveandare

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Was the argument not that Wilson got 3 games because of the preceding two hits?

No one in their right mind felt like the ZAR hit isolated was worth 3, that number was clearly arrived at given his play in the playoffs before hand.

So yes, to answer your question, he was penalized in a way for his prior hits.

Also sweet avatar but I know that apparently that was a different era.

Well, you'd think nobody would call an attempted decapitation "a hockey play with an unfortunate result. " Funny how these things work out.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
The truth is that there were quite a few individuals who were fine with Wilson dishing out head shots on an almost nightly basis, but are outraged that he had to eat one himself.
No I'm not even mad about the hit. Yeah it was dirty. Tom didnt seem to be hurt so whatever. I'm laughing that people wanted Tom to get seriously injured.

Either way the DoPS is horribly inconsistent and unless the league gets serious about contact to the head it won't go away.

That includes Wilson and everyone else. I just want consistency.

Reactions: kladorf2005

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
So Wilson's head didn't make contact with the glass? Because that Youtube video clearly shows based on the reverse angle that he does make contact with the glass with his head/face and that's due to the launching into the hit by Stralman. Head wasn't the principle point of contact, but that doesn't matter as discussed ad nauseam in the Wilson/ZAR thread.
Re-read what I said in the post you quoted. Then read how you misrepresented what I said in your post.

Also the Youtube video in this thread does not clearly show his face making contact with the glass. Unless there's some video I haven't seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad