Stralman hit on Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Re-read what I said in the post you quoted. Then read how you misrepresented what I said in your post.

Also the Youtube video in this thread does not clearly show his face making contact with the glass. Unless there's some video I haven't seen.
Your base point, regardless of how anyone points it out to you/words it, is that Wilson's head doesn't make contact with the glass. Still directly from the Youtube video shows that's not the case. You can see his head/cheek and his shoulder hitting the glass enough that the stanchion is bent. I don't see how you can't say that isn't head on glass?
Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 11.07.51 AM.png

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Your base point, regardless of how anyone points it out to you/words it, is that Wilson's head doesn't make contact with the glass. Still directly from the Youtube video shows that's not the case. You can see his head/cheek and his shoulder hitting the glass enough that the stanchion is bent. I don't see how you can't say that isn't head on glass? View attachment 121285

And I don't see how you can possibly say that for sure.
we have a still frame of low res video taken from an odd angle.

A new internet meme maybe?

Obviously the glass is bending, but let's take a closer look at this image.

Screen Shot 3.png

Yup, looks clear as day to me.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I don't think you fully grasped what I was saying. I believe that this hit is dangerous and deserves a suspension... one game at least.

What I think is hypocritical is the outcry of Caps fans that defended Wilson's 3 headshots. I'm saying looking at Wilson's hits and then this hit without taking into account Wilson's suspension and read the Caps fans opinions. So many defend someone on their team for doing something dangerous and illegal... but you flip the card and now they are offended by someone else doing it to their team. It's dumb.

I don't disagree, but at the end of the day this is HF Boards and so expecting fans to be consistent or rational is a fruitless endeavor.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
And I don't see how you can possibly say that for sure. We have a new internet meme maybe?

Obviously the glass is bending, but let's take a closer look at this image.

View attachment 121289

Yup, looks clear as day to me.
Yes his shoulder hits the glass as well. Obviously that is going to make the glass bend more so than the head because physics. To say his head doesn't hit the glass at all is just silly. Even if he slightly grazes the glass with his head, that's more than enough force to give someone a concussion and cause an injury. Luckily, Wilson is a lot stronger than a typical player or there might have been someone getting helped off the ice.

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
Last time I checked, prior history applies to the guy making the illegal play, not receiving it. Hit was definitely worthy of suspension but with Stralman’s cleanish history I wouldn’t be surprised or upset if he wasn’t. There is definitely a lot of hypocrisy going on in this thread though. Also, Wilson has received way more dirty hits than he’s delivered. His Karma is clean at this point.

Reactions: Lurch

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yes his shoulder hits the glass as well. Obviously that is going to make the glass bend more so than the head because physics. To say his head doesn't hit the glass at all is just silly. Even if he slightly grazes the glass with his head, that's more than enough force to give someone a concussion and cause an injury. Luckily, Wilson is a lot stronger than a typical player or there might have been someone getting helped off the ice.
What's silly is looking at that low res blurry still frame and claiming you can definitively see his head contacting the glass.

What's even sillier is pretending to know that his head slightly grazing the glass is enough force to give him a concussion.

What's even sillier than that is claiming that a person's strength has anything to do with whether or not they get a concussion.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Ok, I’ll open the thread again after spending about 30 mins during my lunch deleting a bunch of posts. If I missed some report them. No flaming, no trolling, no wishing injury on a player. Clear? Next step is people getting infractions if they keep it up. Follow the rules or don’t open the thread.

Last edited:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
"he had it coming" is silly.

your whataboutism to bring up the Bertuzzi incident is also silly.

At no point did I compare this hit to the Bertuzzi assault which is why I said the "Moore - Bertuzzi situation" and not "the Bertuzzi sucker punch" since we all know that the punch was a direct consequence of a retaliation i.e. "he has it coming" , but you go ahead and interpret whatever you feel like.

At least you agree that using the "he had/has it coming/karma" arguments as silly.. so there is some progress.

Reactions: third man in

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
Like I said earlier, probably won’t get a suspension due to lack of history but this hit is definitely suspension worthy.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Really bad hit imo – saw the numbers all the way in, hit him in to the boards, from behind, and looked like Wilson's head got a lot of that.

Frankly, I'm pulling for the Caps because I like Ovechkin a lot and would like him to win one, but NYR gets a better pick if TB wins so I'm not too far on either side. If this hit was reversed, people would be going absolutely nuts about how predatory it was. Bad, bad hit that isn't a big deal because of the player who made it.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Of course not, I was talking about the ones who are happy that Wilson was hitted by Stralman but they are the first ones to cry when it's Wilson the hitter. Just imagine the reactions on this board if Wilson was the one who hitted Stralman the same way. A bad hit is a bad hit no matter who is the hitter and who is the victim.

Not disputing any of that. My point was for the other side though. The ones who are advocating suspension by Stralman were the first ones to defend Wilson's controversial hits as good, clean, hard, hockey plays. Just wanted you to see the hypocrisy on both sides of the isle since you were quick to point out (and reiterate) just one side.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't quite understand all the people complaining "but if Wilson did it, definite suspension."

Yes, a player who has repeatedly been fined and suspended by the league and has a long history of questionable/dirty hits is going to be punished more harshly than one who has never been suspended in a 10 year career.

That doesn't really seem unfair to me.
It isn't. You don't fire a guy who has a history of showing up on time to work for being late once, but you just might fire the guy who's had consistent issues being at work on time and been talked to about it before.

People just love to be up in arms about stuff. No different here.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It isn't. You don't fire a guy who has a history of showing up on time to work for being late once, but you just might fire the guy who's had consistent issues being at work on time and been talked to about it before.

Imo, for this comparison, it'd be like if Wilson showed up 5 minutes late but him being late caused something to get really messed up while Stralman showed up four hours late but his lateness didn't cause any issues.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Wilson has been ejected from games and suspended for much, much less. Caps fans who have watched every game the last few years can tell you without a doubt that Wilson is being closely watched and even targeted by officials. If there are 5 guys standing around grappling, even if the other team started it, all TW has to do is be in the area or touch someone and he's the only one hauled off.

I'm sure people think this is an exaggeration or confirmation bias but we've seen it happen way, way too many times.
Such a tragic tale of woe.

The heartbreaking story of Tom Wilson will be the muse for generations untold. Minstrels will sing of the dastardly deeds done unto him. Bards shall compose epic sagas detailing his virtues, and undressing the nefarious intent of his foes. Not a tavern shall exist in the known realms that lacks a crusty old sot relaying legends about the man, the myth, the legendary Tom Wilson. Expectant mothers will name their children in honor of him. The very name "Wilson" itself will become synonymous with bravery, integrity, honesty, and fair-play. His legend will echo down through the ages for unlimited millennia.

Reactions: T REX

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Such a tragic tale of woe.

The heartbreaking story of Tom Wilson will be the muse for generations untold. Minstrels will sing of the dastardly deeds done unto him. Bards shall compose epic sagas detailing his virtues, and undressing the nefarious intent of his foes. Not a tavern shall exist in the known realms that lacks a crusty old sot relaying legends about the man, the myth, the legendary Tom Wilson. Expectant mothers will name their children in honor of him. The very name "Wilson" itself will become synonymous with bravery, integrity, honesty, and fair-play. His legend will echo down through the ages for unlimited millennia.

And for an encore the bards will play The Ballad Of Aston-Reese's Jaw

O listen, ye of hockeye clan
A tale I spin afore
Ere Olde Tyme Hockeye be witnesseth
Upon thine ponde of Yore

etc etc broke his jaw zomg wrost thing evar

epic

Reactions: Crosbyfan

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
So now the Caps whine every time they take a borderline hit for DOPS review? pathetic

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Except for the part where DoPS has explicitly stated that previous history doesn't (or shouldn't) play a part in the "is this hit worth reviewing for potential discipline" part of the discussion. Per their own standards, the previous disciplinary history shouldn't be considered until they are in the "punishment" phase of supplementary discipline

Reactions: third man in
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad