Stop labeling Vegas players as cast offs or misfits

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Whether they're misfits or Not, the Caps have a much higher chance of getting back to the Finals. Just like the 04 Flames and 06 Oilers, this feels like a one year wonder. They absolutely gotta win it now.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Whether they're misfits or Not, the Caps have a much higher chance of getting back to the Finals. Just like the 04 Flames and 06 Oilers, this feels like a one year wonder. They absolutely gotta win it now.

I think Vegas will be a top contender for years and years. Plenty of youth on that team. Plenty of players who would choose to play there. For better or worse this is not a one hit wonder in my opinion. I think they’re going to destroy the Caps in 5.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The castoff or unwanted label is such a narrative piece, it's not like these were guys that were pick up through waivers, they were plucked from rosters in which only the top of the top were able to be protected.

If you come into my house and steal my TV and offer to give it back for $8,000 and I decline, that doesn't make that TV a cast off or unwanted. The more apt label for these guys would be the "just not good enough to be traded for a top draft pick or protected in the expansion draft" team.

Reactions: LivG and shtorm2005

Cletus Marley

Feb 11, 2007
Cirith Ungol
I think Vegas will be a top contender for years and years. Plenty of youth on that team. Plenty of players who would choose to play there. For better or worse this is not a one hit wonder in my opinion. I think they’re going to destroy the Caps in 5.

They are going to need to step it up and get to the destroying part of that pretty soon. I'm no Vegas hater but they are hardly owning the Caps in this series.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
mft_zpsxdf3yocx.jpg

I'm just kid....

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Just for fun, what if scenario:

Jarnkrok unprotected, instead of Neal

Pysyk unprotected, instead of Marchessault
*Florida likely still gives them Smith since they wish to dump contract, maybe gives a higher pick.

Blues protect Perron, instead of Reaves

Tuch-Karlsson-Smith
Lindberg-Haula-Jarnkrok
Pulkkinen-Eakin-Carpenter
Nosek-Bellemare-Reaves

Schmidt-Pysyk
McNabb-Miller
Theodore-Engelland
Sbisa

Fleury
Subban

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
They are going to need to step it up and get to the destroying part of that pretty soon. I'm no Vegas hater but they are hardly owning the Caps in this series.

I think they’re creaming them. And the Vegas in 5 is just my opinion but I think it’s accurate. There’s just too much skill (especially hand eye, with stick work) and speed on Vegas. Their players are so good. It’s crazy. I don’t think it was a fair expansion (for the 30 other teams) but it has excited a lot of people.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Maybe they could become the NHL version of the 1990's Buffalo Bills.

Reactions: Moon Man

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
No teams were forced to protect players with "NMC" for some reason.
Yet players with two years or less service didn't have to be protected at all.
So the expansion favored teams with a lot of young talent. Many teams would have rather exposed the bad contracts. So no Vegas didn't get a bunch of cast offs. Also these side deals were ridiculous. IMO the league should not even allowed those to happen.
Players who are cast offs would be guys teams didn't want like NYI Grabovski who isn't even playing with the Knights right now or Reilly Smith because of contract. However the Knights didn't really want Smith either but they got a sweet trade which including March.
Not guys like Schmidt, Marchessault, Tuch, Theodore, or Miller.
True castoff a would be AHL fodder and waiver material. William K also doesn't qualify as he was only expendable because Columbus had to do something.
Vegas picked Marchessault in the expansion draft because he was exposed. Regarding Smith, it’s a good guess Gallant knew what kind of player they were getting for a 4th.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
The castoff or unwanted label is such a narrative piece, it's not like these were guys that were pick up through waivers, they were plucked from rosters in which only the top of the top were able to be protected.

If you come into my house and steal my TV and offer to give it back for $8,000 and I decline, that doesn't make that TV a cast off or unwanted. The more apt label for these guys would be the "just not good enough to be traded for a top draft pick or protected in the expansion draft" team.

That would really suck on a rally towel though.

Reactions: Skrudland2Lomakin

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
When your GM bends over and gives away top prospect Alex Tuch and speedy center Erik Haula, you are certainly not thinking castoffs or scraps.

You are cursing the league for giving Vegas such favorable conditions, and cursing the cap.

Reactions: LivG

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Knights are gonna have the same problems every team has starting next season, cap going up or not.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Nazis and fascist i can handle but Misfits can go to HELL!!

Can i just call them pathetic divers?

Hal 9000

Nov 19, 2016
People who don't want to admit that the Knights were/are castoffs (or misfits) are those people who hate the fact that their team might actually lose to a bunch of misfits.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Only like 4 teams felt any kind of impact to their team (and 1 was self inflicted). The rules are fine.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Criminally undervalued by their former teams. How can you argue with that when 300 players deemed better are now playing golf?

"Castoffs" and "misfits" are hyperboles of course, but they relay the essence of what happened quite well.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Knights are gonna have the same problems every team has starting next season, cap going up or not.

Loads of cap space to keep the core long term + Brannstrom, Glass, Suzuki coming up the pipes. They're going to be a contender for a very very long time.

Not to mention they've got a bunch of picks in the draft over the next couple of years. They also probably won't lose any players to the next exp team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad