Stop labeling Vegas players as cast offs or misfits

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
This is what I've been saying. Never mind Karlsson's outlier season but why the heck are you calling guys like Neal, Marchessault and Fleury outcasts? And name me one team that wouldn't like to have Haula and Tuch in their lineup. Real outcasts would be like players already quit NHL and gone to Europe.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
This is what I've been saying. Never mind Karlsson's outlier season but why the heck are you calling guys like Neal, Marchessault and Fleury outcasts? And name me one team that wouldn't like to have Haula and Tuch in their lineup. Real outcasts would be like players already quit NHL and gone to Europe.
Outcasts..... sure I could buy that argument... but castoffs.... that’s what they were whether it was willing or not.

I hate the argument they are not cast offs because their teams wanted to keep them.... what is this measured against... losing no one? At the end of the day whether teams wanted to or not these were players who were deemed expendable by their teams.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Outcasts..... sure I could buy that argument... but castoffs.... that’s what they were whether it was willing or not.

I hate the argument they are not cast offs because their teams wanted to keep them.... what is this measured against... losing no one? At the end of the day whether teams wanted to or not these were players who were deemed expendable by their teams.
They would be cast offs if teams hand picked a guy and said, here you can have him. I'm pretty sure if David Poile had a choice to cast someone off his team, it probably would have been Matt Irwin, not James Neal.

Teams had to make some pretty damn hard choices this go around, unlike in the 90's where everyone was handing out their garbage or players about to retire.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Why are people still shocked by this? They're NHL players who play NHL hockey for a living and people keep saying, "OMG! how is this possible that a team in their first season are in the finals?!? How could this be?!?"

The only people who don't deserve to this is, and I'm sorry but, the Las Vegas fan base. They did not go through the hard-ships of sucking for multiple year, watching their team trade away their star players and go through a "rebuilding" phase. Yeah, good for you should it happen, but you really won't appreciate what you have here unless you go through years of missing the playoffs and finally being apart of it.

But, yeah, I agree with the title of this page. The players don't need to be called cast-offs or misfits

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

Their is a legal definition for the word castoff.
Unwanted and discarded they were not.

Reactions: Moon Man

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Crying-Northwestern-Kid-Becomes-Immediate-NCAA-Tournament-Internet-Sensation.jpeg

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Their is a legal definition for the word castoff.
Unwanted and discarded they were not.
Well according to the legal dictionary, unwanted isn’t mentioned at all.

From a standard dictionary it depends whose definition you use, some include unwanted others do not.

As for discarded in essence any eligible player not protected was discarded, all that mattered was which player would not be regathered by their team.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
That's what they are though. They're a group made up of guys almost noone wanted. I'm meh on their success, myself, but even I'll say they're quite the story.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Never mind Karlsson's outlier season but why the heck are you calling guys like Neal, Marchessault and Fleury outcasts?

Marchessault is a textbook cast off and it's understandable if he has a chip on his shoulder. Tallon used him as a simple thrown in for Vegas to take on R. Smith's contract and decided to protect such formidable players as Pysyk, Petrovic and Nick Bjugstad instead (the latter being Tallon's first pick ever as a Florida GM). Why even protect those players? There's no way McPhee would have taken any of them anyway, and even if he did then so what? Wouldn't even be surprised if Tallon thought "you can't teach size" since Bjugstad is 7 inches taller than Marchessault.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The teams did protect 11 other players ahead of the players on Vegas...

There were other factors involved besides skill obviously, but I would have a chip on my shoulder if I were these guys.

This expansion draft just exposes the errors of a bunch of GM’s. Tallon is a f***ing joke and should be fired. The storyline is both McPhee and the other inept GM’s.

Reactions: jayhabs

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The teams did protect 11 other players ahead of the players on Vegas...

thats really not true. its based off positions, not any 11 players
but you have to remember, some teams are just stacked in certain positions. for example. caps were only able to protect three defenders, they protected niskanen, orlov and carlson, leaving schmidt to be taken

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
but you have to remember, some teams are just stacked in certain positions. for example. caps were only able to protect three defenders, they protected niskanen, orlov and carlson, leaving schmidt to be taken
Then offer Washington a pick if you value a certain player.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

There was the option to protect any 8 skaters and 1 goalie, so ignoring non-eligible prospects and teams loaded with NMCs on undeserving players (net effect is more being protected), teams were able to protect the 9 most important players on their team. Neal was a funny case given contractual status, and other good players or picks were offered to protect what GMs decided were more valuable players, but the standard the team should be viewed from is that only the least valuable player from the top two lines was available.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
They're a team of misfits. As in, they didn't fit on their old teams, and were left unprotected.

So that's the only reason players were left unprotected? You sure James Neal didn't "fit" on the Preds? Or Nate Schmidt didn't "fit" on the Caps?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So that's the only reason players were left unprotected? You sure James Neal didn't "fit" on the Preds? Or Nate Schmidt didn't "fit" on the Caps?

Yep, pretty much. If they did, those teams would've moved pieces around to make them fit, leaving a lesser player unprotected. But if you factor in performance and contracts, Neal was the odd man out for the Preds.

I don't think David Poile would change his keeper picks if he had the chance. Do you?

The only exception to this would be Fleury, I think, given Pittsburgh's situation in goal and Fleury's contract stipulations.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad