Stop focusing on the Negatives

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
So much negativity in this thread that supposed to be positive. During the start of the 2010/11 season (our best season in franchise history) the negativity on these boards was off the charts because the Canucks got off to a slow start. Many of the posters who hate every move made by new management and "just wanted draft day to be over" had their pitchforks out and wanted AV fired and Bieksa traded and so on. I started this thread to get some positive comments going ="http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sho...fboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=830694 and as soon as the team started doing well people stopped posting cause there was nothing left to complain about!!!!

Its just what this new spoiled generation of Canuck fans loves to do, complain about everything :laugh:

As for Benning, I like the moves so far, we got younger, got rid of salary (Garrison) and locker room baggage (Kesler) and acquired some young character guys.

People complained about the Garrison deal calling it an awful trade but earlier today Ehrhoff was bought out so that should give some of these expert posters a better idea of what the value of defensemen signed to long term big money deals is

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
TL;DR

Linden Vey has a lot of upside
LA is a gritty two-way team. You don't need Malkin and Crosby to win a cup. You need a team that plays to win not for individual statistics as most flashy players do.
Anyone would take Kopitar over Ovechkin if they want to win.
We may not a have a number 1 defenseman but we have a good foundation thus far and we can't judge it yet.
People want a rebuild then complain because we're not building a team that they wanted.
HF is turning into CDC.

Garrison an overrated defenseman who was quite honestly terrible last season. Guys got a great shot but when you miss the net as much as he does it because irrelevant. We were quite honestly lucky to get a 2nd for that contract considering the term and play he's shown thus far. Luca Sbisa is just as useful as him at a much lesser salary in my opinion. We moved Jason for a guy who has top 6 upside and is only 22 in Linden Vey.

We now have two centers who are under 27 in Bonino and Vey who may not become first line centers but easily have the potential to be 2nd if not 3rd line centers going forward. Kassian and Jensen are ready to step into bigger roles. Shinkaruk and Horvat might get a shot. Are forward corps went from stale and aging to developing with a ton of potential. I really like the way our depth stacks up behind the Sedins before we sign any UFAs.

How does Vey have any more upside than Jordan Schroeder? A guy who we aren't even qualifying.

Just because we have two centers who are under 27 doesn' tmean they're any good. I agree that Bonino is likely to be a 3C, which is great. We have Bonino to center the first 3rd line, we have Horvat to center another 3rd line. We have Vey to play on a third line. Hansen and Higgins can play on a third line. If we still have Burrows he'll likely be on the third line. Gaunce is likely to end up being on the third line. We can kill teams with several third lines. Our third line needs are covered. Woohoo! Problem is: we don't have future first liners. Second liners perhaps.

The fact that you think Luca Sbisa is on the same level as Garrison tells me you're just wanting to be positive with what Benning has done, and don't really know the players we are discussing. Sbisa is a bottom pairing defenseman. He hasn't developed like people thought coming out of the draft. Garrison, while miscast on the first pairing, is a solid second pairing guy. He never fit in here because we have Hamhuis as the 1LD, and Edler entrenched as the 2LD. Garrison either had to play his off side, or would be stuck with another D-man playing his off side. It just didn't work. He's a very good defenseman though, who has a great point shot which we barely took advantage of. I'm not upset with trading him at all though, but the fact that we had a chance to beef up our defense prospects by taking Roland McKeown at 50, and instead traded him for a 23 year old AHLer who (iirc) is eligible for waivers this season, that's not the greatest use of our assets.

I did want a rebuild, and still do. But when a team has a successful rebuild usually they bring in prospects that give the team a bright future. I don't see that in Vancouver. I don't see anything to get excited about. In fact, this reminds me a lot more of what Calgary and Toronto had done in the mid-late 2000's.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You got to love that the thread about being positive has descended into which generation of Canuck fan has seen the worst team. Here's an answer, all of us. Every decade has seen rock bottom, last years team was putrid by every measurable standard.

But look on the bright side, we're steaming towards 2020 and the next generation to feel that inevitable Canuck disappointment.

You're contributing to the stereo type ;)

The current incarnation of the team bottomed out last season, but it was far from 'rock bottom'. Imagine having a coach that is at least 4x worse than Torts, who along with a completely ineffective Jarome Iginla (we don't really have a Messier-comparable nemesis right now) who we're paying $10 million a season is also running the show in management and are driving players like Henrik Sedin and Dan Hamhuis out of town.

Last season was no worse than the 07-08 year, which is hardly the worse the team has ever gone through. Hell while I was a casual fan for the '94 run, I became a dedicated hardcore fan just in time for the Messier 'era'. Now that was bad :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
TL;DR

Linden Vey has a lot of upside
LA is a gritty two-way team. You don't need Malkin and Crosby to win a cup. You need a team that plays to win not for individual statistics as most flashy players do.
Anyone would take Kopitar over Ovechkin if they want to win.
We may not a have a number 1 defenseman but we have a good foundation thus far and we can't judge it yet.
People want a rebuild then complain because we're not building a team that they wanted.
HF is turning into CDC.

Garrison an overrated defenseman who was quite honestly terrible last season. Guys got a great shot but when you miss the net as much as he does it because irrelevant. We were quite honestly lucky to get a 2nd for that contract considering the term and play he's shown thus far. Luca Sbisa is just as useful as him at a much lesser salary in my opinion. We moved Jason for a guy who has top 6 upside and is only 22 in Linden Vey.

We now have two centers who are under 27 in Bonino and Vey who may not become first line centers but easily have the potential to be 2nd if not 3rd line centers going forward. Kassian and Jensen are ready to step into bigger roles. Shinkaruk and Horvat might get a shot. Are forward corps went from stale and aging to developing with a ton of potential. I really like the way our depth stacks up behind the Sedins before we sign any UFAs.
I'm so sick of people treating the LA Kings as some model that demonstrates you don't need elite players to win. Anze freaking Kopitar is one of the best players in the league! Doughty is one of the best defensemen in the league! Quick is one of the best goaltenders in the league! The high end talent that we're looking for that would be better than guys with 3rd line upside don't even project to be anywhere near as good as these guys.

They also had Carter, they had Gaborik, they had Richards/Williams.

I don't like most of Y2KCanucks opinions or the way he goes about arguing them, but we didn't make moves to get guys with high-end upside, and the LA Kings are a team full of high-end upside. The only guy who comes close is Virtanen. That much is true.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We are going to have a huge skilled team in the upcoming years. Nothing better then a huge fast paced team that can skate.
It is huge. I'd hesitate to call it big (4th Matthias Richardson Dorsett is passably). Skill is average

McCann 190-200
Shinkaruk sub 19O
Vey 180
Horvat 200-210
Kassian 215
Fox 190-200
Gaunce 210
Virtanen 210-220
Bonino 190
Currently top 9 Sedins + Burrows, Higgins Hansen for next 3+ years

Defense is still small to averagw
Best 5 young D Tanev, Corrado, Hutton Stanton Sbisa 200 ish guys.

Russian Tram (tm) is offset by Smurfling (tm) and Smurfban (tm).

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
So much negativity in this thread that supposed to be positive. During the start of the 2010/11 season (our best season in franchise history) the negativity on these boards was off the charts because the Canucks got off to a slow start. Many of the posters who hate every move made by new management and "just wanted draft day to be over" had their pitchforks out and wanted AV fired and Bieksa traded and so on. I started this thread to get some positive comments going ="http://hfboards.mandatory.com/sho...fboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=830694 and as soon as the team started doing well people stopped posting cause there was nothing left to complain about!!!!

Its just what this new spoiled generation of Canuck fans loves to do, complain about everything :laugh:

As for Benning, I like the moves so far, we got younger, got rid of salary (Garrison) and locker room baggage (Kesler) and acquired some young character guys.

People complained about the Garrison deal calling it an awful trade but earlier today Ehrhoff was bought out so that should give some of these expert posters a better idea of what the value of defensemen signed to long term big money deals is

yes, us Canuck fans are spoiled with all of the entertaining superstars and championships we've enjoyed over the years. bunch of spoiled brats!

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
I made a thread like this once - it didn't go well. Canuck fans are the most negative in the NHL from what I've seen.

It would be nice to be able to pop in here once in a while and get excited about our team - but everyone always wants to take the air out of our tires instead of pumping them up.

Maybe we could create a thread "The positive fan thread" where mods could thread ban people for being negative. I imagine 65% of the forum would get thread banned pretty fast lolz

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
1445f94.jpg

I think a lot of the "realists" here are actually the type 4 personality.

I swear people here will cry about anything and everything the Canucks do. Trade Kesler for some young guys and prospects? We got shafted. Keep Kesler and endure a cranky player ****storm? It's Luongo all over again... dump the schmuck. Keep Kesler and soldier on? We're turning into the Flames and just letting our assets diminish.

As far as I'm concerned, most of our prospects, the guys I'm excited about, are still at least a season or 3 away. As for the Bonino-type guys we picked up who can play now... hopefully they will be serviceable this year and still young enough to be useful role players in a few seasons time. Ideally we won't totally suck next year, but if we do, there's a strong draft class in 2015, and maybe we can add another elite prospect. 3 seasons of good high picks, combined with good development, good asset management and a bit of luck should have us set to be a dangerous and competitive team again around the time the Sedins bow out.

Look at all the teams that are having their day in the sun now, they all went through a rocky, even downright craptacular stretch (not including Detroit, but they benefited from some visionary scouting practices that are no longer their proprietorial patent).

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I made a thread like this once - it didn't go well. Canuck fans are the most negative in the NHL from what I've seen.

It would be nice to be able to pop in here once in a while and get excited about our team - but everyone always wants to take the air out of our tires instead of pumping them up.

Maybe we could create a thread "The positive fan thread" where mods could thread ban people for being negative. I imagine 65% of the forum would get thread banned pretty fast lolz

You know what I did starting this time last year when I got sick of it? Anytime I saw someone say 'fire Gillis', I hit the ignore button. Made browsing here far more enjoyable.

Honestly though it hardly seems as negative as it was a year ago, to me the people complaining about negativity almost feels like the group I had put on ignore saying "hey we got our way now why aren't you happy!", or something like that ;)

Right now there's still a disconnect as to whether we're going full rebuild or if we're going to go out and sign a bunch of overpriced UFA's and try to compete. Benning hasn't really given an indication either way, and we'll just have to wait and see until Tuesday.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
You know what I did starting this time last year when I got sick of it? Anytime I saw someone say 'fire Gillis', I hit the ignore button. Made browsing here far more enjoyable.

Honestly though it hardly seems as negative as it was a year ago, to me the people complaining about negativity almost feels like the group I had put on ignore saying "hey we got our way now why aren't you happy!", or something like that ;)

Right now there's still a disconnect as to whether we're going full rebuild or if we're going to go out and sign a bunch of overpriced UFA's and try to compete. Benning hasn't really given an indication either way, and we'll just have to wait and see until Tuesday.

The thing is....what's worse, negativity when the team is playing bloody awful or when the team isn't quite firing on all cylinders but still far away from being a lottery pick team?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
lmao @ this thread. People in BC sure love Trev.

25 years of built-up positive feelings for Trevor are getting eroded pretty quickly in my case.

I don't want to criticize him and I definitely don't want to end up disliking him ... but I have absolutely no idea what qualifies him to be the President of an NHL franchise and involved in personnel decisions. Aside from being a good player here 20 years ago who did lots of charity work.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I don't want to criticize him and I definitely don't want to end up disliking him ... but I have absolutely no idea what qualifies him to be the President of an NHL franchise and involved in personnel decisions. Aside from being a good player here 20 years ago who did lots of charity work.
All the scouting positions were filled so they gave him the Presidency.
I'm joking

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006

Today's "young character guys" are tomorrows locker room baggage and salary dumps.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
You're contributing to the stereo type ;)

The current incarnation of the team bottomed out last season, but it was far from 'rock bottom'. Imagine having a coach that is at least 4x worse than Torts, who along with a completely ineffective Jarome Iginla (we don't really have a Messier-comparable nemesis right now) who we're paying $10 million a season is also running the show in management and are driving players like Henrik Sedin and Dan Hamhuis out of town.

Last season was no worse than the 07-08 year, which is hardly the worse the team has ever gone through. Hell while I was a casual fan for the '94 run, I became a dedicated hardcore fan just in time for the Messier 'era'. Now that was bad :laugh:

There are those on this board who remember having Bill Laforge as head coach. Torts was bad, but not even Keenan was that bad.

As far as the moves so far, I'm in a holding pattern. After the first few days of free agency we should have a better idea of what the overall plan is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad