Rumor: Stone done with Ottawa? (UPDATE: Stone's statement in OP and post #116)

Cheaper than Melnyk

Jul 12, 2018
When does Dorion take the fall?

He won't....he's doing exactly what ownership wants him to do. Purge the roster for futures, draft picks and low cost warm bodies (even at the expense of superstars) and hope the draft picks pan out going forward. This way Melnyk can afford his downtown arena and have a low-cost team to ice until the money starts coming back in to be able to afford to ice a more competitive team.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Even if it were true, what did you expect Stone to say?

"yes, the report was true...i want to get the **** out of Ottawa asap"

An NHL player could say he saw a pig fly and people would believe him. You guys need to realize they will instantly lie to the media if the truth risks putting them in a bad light.
This was a REALLY strong denial though, and then the reporter totally backtracked, saying he was misinterpreted and making it clear he didn’t have reliable sources. Normal denials from players when they really do want out are much softer.

I’m a Leafs fan, not a Sens fan, so I have nothing vested in Stone staying with the Oilers, but this whole story screams “BS”.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Louis Jean is pretty reliable, he's no MacKenzie but he's not the type to make stuff up unless he's heard something.

Probably had your tweet quoted a bunch already and said this, but he's not reliable and would rather just do TMZ shit than actual hockey news.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'll say this again, I think Stone is who the Stars should kick their tires on. Many dumb contracts coming to an end, so they have room to spare going forward, and they'll probably have the money Stone would be happy with. Also, they have Seguin and Benn signed to long-term deals.

Dallas:
Mark Stone

Ottawa:
1st 2019
2nd 2019
Julius Honka
Devin Shore
Radek Faksa
*Conditional Picks if Stone signs extension
1st 2020
3rd 2020
2nd 2021

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I'll say this again, I think Stone is who the Stars should kick their tires on. Many dumb contracts coming to an end, so they have room to spare going forward, and they'll probably have the money Stone would be happy with. Also, they have Seguin and Benn signed to long-term deals.

Dallas:
Mark Stone

Ottawa:
1st 2019
2nd 2019
Julius Honka
Devin Shore
Radek Faksa
1st 2020
3rd 2020
2nd 2021

Lol wut

Reactions: WhatWhat

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Dallas:
Mark Stone

Ottawa:
1st 2019
2nd 2019
Julius Honka
Devin Shore
Radek Faksa
1st 2020
3rd 2020
2nd 2021
Jesus that guts our team...That is horrible for Dallas. Besides, while Stone would be better for us today, Duchene would be better for us starting next year. Regardless of which one Nill might target there is no way in hell he gives up Honka + Shore + Faksa + 1st + 2nd for a dude with 1 year left... That is pushing the limit for an extended player and just insane for a UFA

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Jesus that guts our team...That is horrible for Dallas. Besides, while Stone would be better for us today, Duchene would be better for us starting next year. Regardless of which one Nill might target there is no way in hell he gives up Honka + Shore + Faksa + 1st + 2nd for a dude with 1 year left... That is pushing the limit for an extended player and just insane for a UFA

Lol that proposal pretty much asked for a third of an NHL roster and the top half of your next three drafts for a very good but not elite winger

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Lol that proposal pretty much asked for a third of an NHL roster and the top half of your next three drafts for a very good but not elite winger
Yeah that package is straight up more than what Nill offered for Karlsson... Donno what OP was thinking lol

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
And according to Dorion they were close to a long term deal but ran out of time.

Stone is not resigning. There is no chance this statement is remotely true.

Tyson Barrie in 2016 actually completed the Arbitration and a decision would be rendered 3 days later. Negotiations continued for the next few days and literally minutes before the decision was announced, they settled on their current 4 year contract.

Tyson Barrie could be only arbitration case to go the distance

This is not normally the practice, but if a deal is imminent they could have easily proceeded with the Hearing or settled. I can't see they were ever close or Stone interested in returning.

Dorion made this statement to appease the fans they're still talking to sell tickets. This is no different than keeping their 2018 pick, when 2019 is a stronger draft and they'll be weakened with the exodus of their best players.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Stone is not resigning. There is no chance this statement is remotely true.

Tyson Barrie in 2016 actually completed the Arbitration and a decision would be rendered 3 days later. Negotiations continued for the next few days and literally minutes before the decision was announced, they settled on their current 4 year contract.

Tyson Barrie could be only arbitration case to go the distance

This is not normally the practice, but if a deal is imminent they could have easily proceeded with the Hearing or settled. I can't see they were ever close or Stone interested in returning.

Dorion made this statement to appease the fans they're still talking to sell tickets. This is no different than keeping their 2018 pick, when 2019 is a stronger draft and they'll be weakened with the exodus of their best players.

Dorion didn't suggest they ran out of my time, thats my assumption seeing as how they agreed on a deal to avoid a hearing.

I am aware that that if they go through the hearing they have 72 hours to reach a deal but in many cases it is something both sides wish to avoid. If Ottawa was worried about losing Stone then they wouldn't have been worried about going through the process

Speculating that he wants out based on the contract he signed is weak at best. I acknowledge that it's a possibility he leaves but there's very little out there about the contract negations and Dorion claiming they were close on a long term deal holds a lot more weight than whats being said in here.

I'm not even going to get into the idea that a draft is better than another the year before the most important season for draft eligible players.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Dorion didn't suggest they ran out of my time, thats my assumption seeing as how they agreed on a deal to avoid a hearing.

I am aware that that if they go through the hearing they have 72 hours to reach a deal but in many cases it is something both sides wish to avoid. If Ottawa was worried about losing Stone then they wouldn't have been worried about going through the process

Speculating that he wants out based on the contract he signed is weak at best. I acknowledge that it's a possibility he leaves but there's very little out there about the contract negations and Dorion claiming they were close on a long term deal holds a lot more weight than whats being said in here.

I'm not even going to get into the idea that a draft is better than another the year before the most important season for draft eligible players.

Stone according to the comments on this Board of leaving or traded is substantially high. There is little to no chance he stays in trying to rectify this massive disaster of a team and waste his years in a rebuild. Duchene and Dzingel will be out as well.

The only question is the order these remaining UFA players traded/leave?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Stone according to the comments on this Board of leaving or traded is substantially high. There is little to no chance he stays in trying to rectify this massive disaster of a team and waste his years in a rebuild. Duchene and Dzingel will be out as well.

The only question is the order these remaining UFA players traded/leave?

I bolded the key phrase. Comments on this board made by people on the outside with no consequence.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I bolded the key phrase. Comments on this board made by people on the outside with no consequence.

I actually admire you in hoping for better, but the Sens are looking to have a tough season. Stone and Duchene would be a tremendous story if they extend, but realistically can't this happening.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I actually admire you in hoping for better, but the Sens are looking to have a tough season. Stone and Duchene would be a tremendous story if they extend, but realistically can't this happening.

I wouldnt call it hope. Rather not buying into speculative bullshit that fuels this board.

It’s like the deadline last year, a lot of people were convinced Karlsson was going to be traded. I was adminit with in disagreeing with it, not because I believed Karlsson was going to be a Senator but because it was based on nothing but speculation that Karlsson’s value would be it’s highest at the TDL.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I wouldnt call it hope. Rather not buying into speculative bull**** that fuels this board.

It’s like the deadline last year, a lot of people were convinced Karlsson was going to be traded. I was adminit with in disagreeing with it, not because I believed Karlsson was going to be a Senator but because it was based on nothing but speculation that Karlsson’s value would be it’s highest at the TDL.

So what? Karlsson ended up being traded after the deadline anyways. Most people (the ones posting here) are of the thought that players wouldn't want to be around the on-ice product and/or off-ice drama in Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad