Post-Game Talk: Stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Oh good, we're attempting to scoreboard other teams rather than having anything positive to say about the Wings.

Victory laps around Tampa and Nashville. The dream.

We take what we can get.

Get with the program.

No Bench bucks for you.

ZDNimZW.jpg

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Not a pretty game. Searching for positives you can appreciate the defensive awareness and hard work. Getting back, supporting the net, covering a man in all 3 zones. Desperation is part of the effort, the Wings are basically playing as if their life was at stake. That's the season- outshot 2-1, stolen wins from our goalies, or grinding with desperation like it's game 7 of the SCF.

The complaint is the same as when NJ went to the finals in 2012. Not the greatest. It's almost embarrassing to have to work this hard for wins, kind of like a guy trying too hard at drop-in. I'm amazed by the fans that care only for wins and points in the standings. What about the quality of hockey? Do they watch other NHL teams in comparison? I bet a few who believe in just our wins wouldn't actually put themselves through this circus act most nights.

The Wings are offensively challenged because we lack skill. Why can Green make the silkiest play to escape a check, dish the puck and a few seconds later he's busting down the wing open for a perfect pass? They guy just has it. Seems like 80% of this team either has the hands but no skating, legs and zero hands, some skills but no size. Most importantly I think the Wings in general are missing the IQ that makes great hockey possible.

If Vanek, Zetterberg, and Kronwall were 10 years younger we'd have something. But to watch Larkin racing around blindly, Nyquist and Tatar mostly ineffective- Ouellet, Ericsson, DeKeyser, etc. unable to do anything besides dump the puck at the red line, it can be a drag. Our "best" offensive players skate like they're already retired. The PP is ATROCIOUS simply because the players don't have the skill, period.

Without Datsyuk this team is sorely lacking scoring and playmaking ability... the main qualities that make the sport worth watching. If this season was the most talented the Wings were ever going to be I would probably stop following.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
To be fair the Oilers could have traded Hall for Jonathan Ericsson and it would have had about the same effect on their team.

Having a healthy generational talent in McDavid is why they're good not because of Larsson or anyone else on that team.

We like to consider hockey a team game, but realistically the team with the best player is going to win more than they lose. There's a reason that every successful rebuild starts with an extremely talented player.

That's why we need dahlin

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Highlight was watching Mantha skate over to Green on the PP, tap him with his stick to get him to move, with Z pointing with his arm where to go. What a disgrace.

I'm not holding my breath that this is Mrazek's return to form, but Blash definitely needs to keep giving him starts. Let him try to build on this.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Good news is Boston lost in regulation again tonight.

Bad news is NJ, ISL and Tampa all got 2 points tonight.
Too many 3 point games.
So you're in the first round exit, continue the streak camp?
I am too.
If Ken Holland traded a player like Seth Jones for first line center production of 60 points (and poor work ethic) he would be run out of town. Instead, David Poile is seen as a genius around these parts because he makes trades. ANY trades. :laugh: Oh, and Nashville can have fun trying to sign him as a RFA. RyJo's agent will make sure he squeezes every cent out of Poile just like he did in Columbus.

Any trade is a great trade.:laugh:

To be fair the Oilers could have traded Hall for Jonathan Ericsson and it would have had about the same effect on their team.

Having a healthy generational talent in McDavid is why they're good not because of Larsson or anyone else on that team.

We like to consider hockey a team game, but realistically the team with the best player is going to win more than they lose. There's a reason that every successful rebuild starts with an extremely talented player.
Elite talent is needed in maybe 80%. Sometimes a red hot goalie can steal the show.

Not a pretty game. Searching for positives you can appreciate the defensive awareness and hard work. Getting back, supporting the net, covering a man in all 3 zones. Desperation is part of the effort, the Wings are basically playing as if their life was at stake. That's the season- outshot 2-1, stolen wins from our goalies, or grinding with desperation like it's game 7 of the SCF.

The complaint is the same as when NJ went to the finals in 2012. Not the greatest. It's almost embarrassing to have to work this hard for wins, kind of like a guy trying too hard at drop-in. I'm amazed by the fans that care only for wins and points in the standings. What about the quality of hockey? Do they watch other NHL teams in comparison? I bet a few who believe in just our wins wouldn't actually put themselves through this circus act most nights.

The Wings are offensively challenged because we lack skill. Why can Green make the silkiest play to escape a check, dish the puck and a few seconds later he's busting down the wing open for a perfect pass? They guy just has it. Seems like 80% of this team either has the hands but no skating, legs and zero hands, some skills but no size. Most importantly I think the Wings in general are missing the IQ that makes great hockey possible.

If Vanek, Zetterberg, and Kronwall were 10 years younger we'd have something. But to watch Larkin racing around blindly, Nyquist and Tatar mostly ineffective- Ouellet, Ericsson, DeKeyser, etc. unable to do anything besides dump the puck at the red line, it can be a drag. Our "best" offensive players skate like they're already retired. The PP is ATROCIOUS simply because the players don't have the skill, period.

Without Datsyuk this team is sorely lacking scoring and playmaking ability... the main qualities that make the sport worth watching. If this season was the most talented the Wings were ever going to be I would probably stop following.
Green is a high risk high reward player. He creates the best chances on both ends.
Highlight was watching Mantha skate to Green on the PP, tap him with his stick to get him to move, with Z pointing with his arm where to go. What a disgrace.

I'm not holding my breath that this is Mrazek's return to form, but Blash definitely needs to keep giving him starts. Let him try to build on this.
We did not allow any sh goals. That is fabulous.

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
Highlight was watching Mantha skate over to Green on the PP, tap him with his stick to get him to move, with Z pointing with his arm where to go. What a disgrace.

I agree. But my feeling is blash will do what blash does. And well see coreau in net next game. Hope I'm wrong.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
If Ken Holland traded a player like Seth Jones for first line center production of 60 points (and poor work ethic) he would be run out of town. Instead, David Poile is seen as a genius around these parts because he makes trades. ANY trades. :laugh: Oh, and Nashville can have fun trying to sign him as a RFA. RyJo's agent will make sure he squeezes every cent out of Poile just like he did in Columbus.

Nashville trading a defenseman was like Ken Holland trading an overrated small European winger. They had depth at that position and a shortage at the center position. It isn't that Ken Holland makes bad trades, it's that he makes NO trades. Add that to poor drafting, bad contracts and poor free agent signings and you have the 2017 Red Wings.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

Tell this to oilers fans. This is ridiculous. Last year oilers had a losing record with mcdavid in the line up. Larsson solidified their defense. Hockey is a team game,this isn't basketball. Everything in your post is so wrong i don't even know what to say.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
mrazek stole that one all by himself and its games like that in which you realize his struggles this year are solely confidence based and our lack of talent overall

zetterberg was also good
so too was smith(its why you wish he had a brain because he could be halfway decent if he did)

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Context...

Out of playoffs
Out of playoffs
Out of playoffs
Out of playoffs
Out of playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Out of playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 2
Out of playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Out of playoffs
Out of playoffs
Out of playoffs
Out of playoffs
Out of playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 1
Out of playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2
Lost in round 2
Out of playoffs
Lost in round 1
Lost in round 2

I was talking about a specific trade and the motives behind it, not the last 20 years.

Not sure how your post is relevant.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Tell this to oilers fans. This is ridiculous. Last year oilers had a losing record with mcdavid in the line up. Larsson solidified their defense. Hockey is a team game,this isn't basketball. Everything in your post is so wrong i don't even know what to say.

He was a rookie, learning to play in the NHL as a teenager, he missed half a season due to injury and probably returned while still recovering from said injury.

If you take McDavid off this years Oilers, even with Larsson, that team is in the lottery again.

Take Austin Matthews off the Leafs, they'd sink like a stone too. Crosby and Malkin off the Pens, same result.

Sure there are teams out there that get by without any elite talent, but at the end of the day the teams that have Generational talents are going to be good regardless of their supporting talent.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You're right, Zetterberg is a much better player.
He's having a better year than expected, but is making 50% more money for essentially the same production.

Liking Z better is fine. But if the $4M guy is overrated, then the $6M isn't worth his deal, either.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So Nashville's 20 year playoff history should be the most important metric to judge that trade... in your opinion?
Some teams don't improve their playoff results after making a trade. So trades are bad. :shakehead

EDIT: Spelling is harde. ;)

Last edited:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Well Detroit is going to be a terrible team for a very long time and they made no trades.

As for this game. When Detroit wins a game, they do so in a very unconvincing fashion and when they lose, they do so in a very convincing fashion.

At this point wins only hurt the franchise. They basically have a 1% chance of making the playoffs, so the most likely outcome will be a weaker draft pick and no playoffs.

When you have an organization as talent starved as Detroit, every bit helps.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

I love how David Poile is seen as a genius here compared to Ken Holland, the bumbling idiot who's team hasn't had any playoff success in 5 years.

Ken Holland last 5 seasons: Four 1st round exits, one 2nd round exit
David Poile last 5 seasons: One 1st round exit, two 2nd round exits, two missed playoffs

One is the worst GM in the NHL, the other is a genius. Something doesn't add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad