Stockton Heat relocation

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
so, why does thee SPHL Storm exist? What is an SPHL? The Mallards first incarnation was replaced by the flames AHL affiliation.

The Wolves are going to be relocated January 1, 2020 to Portland, ME and be renamed the Admirals just to piss off the cheeseheads.

How come I can't get to poke the bear but you can?

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
go google Stockton Heat, JD:

GUESS WHAT IT States ;

1977-1987, Maine Mariners, founded and owned by Comcast Spectacor, the Flyers, and the franchise was sold outright to New Jersey in 1982-83....

Portland's 2nd team was born in Baltimore, as the Skipjacks before Washington even became the affiliate, it was a Penguins affiliation and an independent, before the AHL outlawed Independent franchises
LOL LOL LOL

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
What is the rule on Territory in hockey?

Why can't we get the Thunder back and ice both teams?

When my uncle ran the Kirby's Klippers Lacrosse in Burnaby they were a single A men's team that way outsold the AAA team. I would think having another team in the rink might put some fire under the Flames organization to do something - if only that means leaving to make room for a team that the city wants.

Last edited:

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

When my uncle ran the Kirby's Klippers Lacrosse in Burnaby they were a single A men's team that way outsold the AAA team. I would think having another team in the rink might put some fire under the Flames organization to do something - if only that means leaving to make room for a team that the city wants.

More important than any league rule on territory is a VERY likely contract between team and arena that limits the competition in that arena.

For instance, up north in Portland, per the last contract between the Winterhawks and Vulcan (Moda Center and Memorial Coliseum), Vulcan cannot entertain ECHL or AHL or essentially any league other than the NHL. Of course, if the Winterhawks were to leave or fold, it’s all open.

I am going to presume that a proposal the Sacramento State AD made when he first took the job to pursue an on-campus arena that could also host pro hockey... eh, appears to have never gained any traction. That’s about the only “hope” one could reasonably offer to Stockton fans.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

The echl doesn't hold the trademark anymore they would probably need to use a new logo though if the flames tried to rebrand the heat as the thunder

Attachments

• Screenshot (42).png
    Screenshot (42).png
    396.5 KB · Views: 3

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
Attendance in San Jose listed on theAHL.com was 3,036 for this game. You can't tell me there are more than 1,000 people there. Season tickets for the Barracuda must be good.
20191227_140219.jpg

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Attendance in San Jose listed on theAHL.com was 3,036 for this game. You can't tell me there are more than 1,000 people there. Season tickets for the Barracuda must be good.View attachment 298373
I believe a season ticket perk for the sharks are individual barracuda tickets. They could be counting some of those sharks season ticket holders.

Last edited:

AngloHab

Jan 17, 2013
And, as has been repeated ad nauseum, the Sharks ownership would rather the Barracuda play in the same arena than make money on its own.

Yeah, I can imagine just having them play in the same city without all the aggravation of traveling back and forth from another city and having to oversee another rink/business operation makes a lot of sense for the Sharks.

I've seen about 4 Heat games this season and tbh the place has been relatively empty, I'd wager the crowds were in the region of 2-3,000.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Attendance in San Jose listed on theAHL.com was 3,036 for this game. You can't tell me there are more than 1,000 people there. Season tickets for the Barracuda must be good.View attachment 298373
I don't doubt that the Cuda's attendance is low but why do people always seem to post pictures from either before the game or between periods to make their point about poor attendance?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I don't doubt that the Cuda's attendance is low but why do people always seem to post pictures from either before the game or between periods to make their point about poor attendance?
What makes you think that particular image was captured outside of play? Maybe the two teams were lined up behind their respective end redlines as a shared stalling tactic to run out the last 2:50-something of the period. The on-ice officials also decided to join them, to make sure neither team was in violation of Rule 63, "Delaying the Game." ;)

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
What makes you think that particular image was captured outside of play? Maybe the two teams were lined up behind their respective end redlines as a shared stalling tactic to run out the last 2:50-something of the period. The on-ice officials also decided to join them, to make sure neither team was in violation of Rule 63, "Delaying the Game." ;)
2:50 left in intermission on the clock was a good giveaway. :thumbu:

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

I think its cool that the coaches and players on the bench decided to join them in hiding that last 2:50

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019

Even with 3 minutes left in intermission, one could tell that there are very few people there. I took that picture. I was there. There may have been 1000 fans in the seats.
Not saying Stockton is much better. Last Wednesday there were about 1300 in the stands.
The point I was making is that actual attendance sometimes gets over reported due to the number of season ticket holders. Plus, especially in San Jose, when there is a double header night (Barracuda in the afternoon; Sharks that same night) if you buy a seat for the night cap they throw in the afternoon game for free.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
If I was owner of a team I would rather sell 10,000 tickets to a game and have 100 people show up than sell 1,000 tickets to the game and have 1,000 people show up.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
If I was owner of a team I would rather sell 10,000 tickets to a game and have 100 people show up than sell 1,000 tickets to the game and have 1,000 people show up.

If only that were the problem.

My semi-trained eyes and ears (sometimes known as "experience") tell me that attendance that small is more likely bumped by comps, not sold unused tickets.

Reactions: MM658

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad