Stockton Heat relocation

MakDox209

Nov 27, 2019
there's a meeting in Stockton today as well to update the situation there as well as a City Council meeting

no meetings until next week. There is a city council meeting today but I don’t think much of our issue will be discussed since the public comment section will fall into line with tonight’s game so most fans will be at the game instead of speaking at public comment. However, we do plan on showing up and being present for the start of the meeting so they know we’re still working on the goal of a long term deal

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
This story sure seems to be making a mountain out of a pile of ice shavings. But I guess it gives hockey-less fans something to chew on.

The article points out that Manteca is seriously interested in building an ice rink that would be used for the Heat practice facility while potentially adding a 5,000 seat arena once the off-ramp is built from highway 120. The arena would match what San Jose is doing for the Barracuda. The way the current construction is moving along, the arena could be built in a few years.

That would allow Calgary to sign a 3-year lease in Stockton and use Manteca as the practice facility before having the option to move to Manteca full time.

Reactions: JMCx4

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Having a new arena in the suburbs would keep the intense 5-way rivalry between the California teams in the Pacific Division.

California fought hard to have its ECHL presence replaced by an AHL presence and does not want to lose any of its AHL teams.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Having a new arena in the suburbs would keep the intense 5-way rivalry between the California teams in the Pacific Division.

California fought hard to have its ECHL presence replaced by an AHL presence and does not want to lose any of its AHL teams.
however, the major issue has become ASM Global who is managing these Western arenas, and to a degree, hanging these teams out to dry... something Calgary has acknowledged there's an issue that needs to be fixed...

it has nothing to do with the creation of the Division....., nor the presence of swapping 8-9 teams into a division over a 3-5 year timeframe

MakDox209

Nov 27, 2019
From what I’ve been told Calgary has no interest in moving to Manteca for games but definitely interested in using it for a practice facility. If they are to remain in this immediate area then games will be played at Stockton Arena. If Manteca becomes a practice facility and eliminates Oak Park from the picture, I believe that the City Of Stockton will be more open about renovations to Stockton Arena.

The article points out that Manteca is seriously interested in building an ice rink that would be used for the Heat practice facility while potentially adding a 5,000 seat arena once the off-ramp is built from highway 120. The arena would match what San Jose is doing for the Barracuda. The way the current construction is moving along, the arena could be built in a few years.

That would allow Calgary to sign a 3-year lease in Stockton and use Manteca as the practice facility before having the option to move to Manteca full time.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
To say they have access to 1.2 million residents in Manteca is absurd. It would make more sense to build the arena in Modesto, but obviously Manteca feels they have that kind of money to spend and Modesto doesn't

It seems like an effort for the Heat to squeeze Stockton for an even worse deal.

Manteca and Lathrop may be growing but really its limited to how much people want to commute to the Bay Area. I did that for 8 years and I'm not so keen on that kind of punishment anymore.

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
With the cancelation of the rest of last season, and the speculation of a "Canadian" division for next season, where does that leave cities like Stockton and Bakersfield for a 20/21 season? Even if it is only for one season, the lease for Stockton would be up or would the city slide the contract? I have been out of the loop recently so don't know what is going on with the proposed upgrades at Oak Park or the Manteca option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad