Stockton Heat relocation

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The Sacramento Kings have obviously been hugely successful, to the point the cash strapped city ponied up a fortune for the new downtown arena. The Warriors are hot in Northern California now yes, but East of the Bay, the King's are the #1 team in sports even when they are losing.

The Rivercats (the former Triple A Vancouver Canadians) do well as a minor league team and there's enough interest in the Sharks that I can see hockey in the market.

The current push for MLS is marketed around the growing Hispanic population but I think that any interest here is for Latin American teams, particularly Mexico, and premier teams in Europe.

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
As a Heat season ticket holder, I can say there is no "official" talk about moving, but the writing is on the wall. They keep pumping the same company line that they are trying their best to get the deal done. A recent news article in the Stockton Record all but says they are moving.

With Seattle announcing Palm Springs as their affiliate city, and the money the AHL put in to create a West Coast division, the Heat's move will be within the state.

A few possible locations are Sacramento (old Arco Arena, not the new Golden One arena), the Oakland Arena (with the Warriors moving to SF, this arena is open), Fresno (where the team could bus to every away game except Colorado and Tucson), or even Reno.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
As a Heat season ticket holder, I can say there is no "official" talk about moving, but the writing is on the wall. They keep pumping the same company line that they are trying their best to get the deal done. A recent news article in the Stockton Record all but says they are moving.

With Seattle announcing Palm Springs as their affiliate city, and the money the AHL put in to create a West Coast division, the Heat's move will be within the state.

A few possible locations are Sacramento (old Arco Arena, not the new Golden One arena), the Oakland Arena (with the Warriors moving to SF, this arena is open), Fresno (where the team could bus to every away game except Colorado and Tucson), or even Reno.
Oracle is A's territory now, tbth, now that Chase Center is up and running..... Fresno, is not a solution, imo, otherwise it would've happened by now, and aren't the Kings already sharing Stockton Arena anyway, after they bought their G-League team

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
210:

PROVE where it says Chase Center is hockey territory...... i'LL give you the same answer to why Barclays Center is not hockey compliant

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
None of these things has anything to do with those two buildings having (or not having) ice plants.
and what does either have to do with Calgary's ownership of the Heat, or the future market where Stockton could go which is the topic .... is this or is this not a discussion board:huh:

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
Oakland Arena has had hockey over the years. Golden One (I have been there) reminds me of Barclays. There is no way Chase Center is in the discussion. Same with Golden One. The reason Fresno hasn't happen (yet) is because the Heat signed a five year lease, which ends after this season.

The front office turnaround (at least 5 front office sales personnel gone from last season), a change in broadcasters mid- last season, and the absolute aloof attitude from Petrovic all points to a move. He avoids the fans by sitting in his suite all game long.

Bring back Dan Chapman who ran the Thunder and is fan friendly, and the fans will return.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Oakland Arena has had hockey over the years. Golden One (I have been there) reminds me of Barclays. There is no way Chase Center is in the discussion. Same with Golden One. The reason Fresno hasn't happen (yet) is because the Heat signed a five year lease, which ends after this season.

The front office turnaround (at least 5 front office sales personnel gone from last season), a change in broadcasters mid- last season, and the absolute aloof attitude from Petrovic all points to a move. He avoids the fans by sitting in his suite all game long.

Bring back Dan Chapman who ran the Thunder and is fan friendly, and the fans will return.
Petrovic shouldn't even be qualified to run a team in the FHL after the terrible job he did with the pirates.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
and what does either have to do with Calgary's ownership of the Heat, or the future market where Stockton could go which is the topic .... is this or is this not a discussion board:huh:

I'm pretty sure that you're the one that quoted a post about ice plants and then made a nonsensical reply that had no connection at all to if the buildings in question had an ice plant or not. I'm also pretty sure that post is still visible should you'd like to refresh your memory on what transpired.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
and why do YOU Keep posting when NO One wants your opinion, Darryl

The question should be why do you still keep posting when NO ONE WANTS YOUR OPINION HUTCH!!!

At least most posters can understand what 210 is posting on this board. You on the other hand we need a translator to figure out what you are posting.

You have a person directly from Stockton that knows more than any of us here as to what is going on with the Heat and their future status and you go and act like you are in Stockton speaking for the Heat saying no no no no no no no to everything that person is posting and all the possibilities the Heat could relocate to. Whether an arena has an existing ice plant or not one at all, one can be installed if they want hockey to come to their arena.

Just like you posted years ago that the AHL Western movement would never happen at all and now it is 5 years later and the Pacific Division is still there in the AHL and those teams still play 68 games to the rest of the AHL at 76.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I want his opinion.

You like the way HCTUHNADRHC thinks?

Look, as much as I piss and moan about the Pacific Division playing 68 games, it's just part of the AHL tapestry. Besides, anyone should know that it's more of a problem with Calgary. Just ask Omaha or the Quad Cities or Abbotsford or Saint John how their time as hosting a Flames affiliate worked out. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
You like the way HCTUHNADRHC thinks?

Look, as much as I piss and moan about the Pacific Division playing 68 games, it's just part of the AHL tapestry. Besides, anyone should know that it's more of a problem with Calgary. Just ask Omaha or the Quad Cities or Abbotsford or Saint John how their time as hosting a Flames affiliate worked out. It wasn't a pleasant experience.
If they let the people who ran the echl Stockton thunder run the ahl team and stayed as far away from Petrovic as possible. The AHL might have had more success in Stockton.

Reactions: Stockton Finest

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If they let the people who ran the echl Stockton thunder run the ahl team and stayed as far away from Petrovic as possible. The AHL might have had more success in Stockton.
keep in mind, Stockton almost had no hockey and was facing city-wide BK, the same scenario is why the Commonwealth of Massachusetts paid for the arena renovations in Springfield Centrum

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
keep in mind, Stockton almost had no hockey and was facing city-wide BK, the same scenario is why the Commonwealth of Massachusetts paid for the arena renovations in Springfield Centrum
Its not true that they would have lost hockey If not for the flames. The owners of the echl franchise where under no mandatory obligation To sell it would have been more difficult to run a ECHL franchise in northern California without Bakersfield and Ontario in the league but there was nothing stopping them from telling the flames to go away.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

The state paid for the renovations of the Mass Mutual Center because the building is owned by the state through the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Its not true that they would lose hockey If not for the flames. The owners of the echl franchise where under no mandatory obligation To sell it would have been more difficult to run a ECHL franchise in northern California without Bakersfield and Ontario in the league but there was nothing stopping them from telling the flames to go away.
nope, you do realize that was a trade, Centrum, the same thing happened to the Sharks becoming the Barracuda, and the Reign/Monarchs flip.... both are owned and operated just like the Heat have have been since 1993 no matter what market they've been in.... remember it used to be a 50/50 split in Saint John, until the local ownership went belly-up 2 years after the Championship, just like Manchester did in 2014/15, before it became publically known(and all fanbases were warned even then that the Pacific Division was coming, whether it was then, or by the end of the decade). the Same MO happened in Omaha, and it killed QC because of the established Mallards, very much the same way Anaheim tried to dominate the Cincinnati market after being in Washington's backyard in Baltimore.... it's a wonder the Cyclones are still an active franchise today, after all that's transpired there.

Don't get me started on the Oilers affiliation franchise history, either, that's just as bad as Calgary's is... the insane 5 way affiliation because they chose not to exercise their franchise and placing a team in another's city backyard, like they did the current Coca Cola Coliseum, then the abrupt relocation to then Rexall Place after the 2004 AHL Master Schedule was released once the Toronto thing backfired...Anaheim's no saint in this either, mind you, forcing Norfolk to be bought to be placed in San Diego, and then begging the Oilers to be part of a 3 way deal over the rights of the ECHL Condors because they elected to not exercise being an owner/operator, it wasn't until the AHL Forced the Oilers TO activate the franchise now playing as the Condors, which had been placed in OKC the previous 5 years or lose the rights irrevocably.

Timjohnson

Jun 6, 2019
I've heard nothing but negative feedback on Petrovek from the season ticket holders for the team. It would be wise for Calgary to dump this guy if they move the franchise. Sounds like he does nothing but run teams into the ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad