Stockton Heat relocation

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I understand. So it means Stockton will lose pro hockey.

In all likelihood, yes. Their only chance for pro hockey, should they relocate, lays with the ECHL. The league was once linked with Fresno and Reno along with a few others like Billings to expand their Pacific presence, but that died years ago. Idaho Falls is building an arena that they claim will host pro hockey, and the only reasonable target for the goal is the ECHL. Add in a few others, and maybe someone tries a team in Stockton again given the success they had with the ECHL Thunder.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
In all likelihood, yes. Their only chance for pro hockey, should they relocate, lays with the ECHL. The league was once linked with Fresno and Reno along with a few others like Billings to expand their Pacific presence, but that died years ago. Idaho Falls is building an arena that they claim will host pro hockey, and the only reasonable target for the goal is the ECHL. Add in a few others, and maybe someone tries a team in Stockton again given the success they had with the ECHL Thunder.
It will be hard for someone to recapture the successes of the echl thunder with another ECHL team.Not because Stockton is a bad market or anything.The flames did a lot of damage they would need a owner with a lot of patience and a good marketing team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
It will be hard for someone to recapture the successes of the echl thunder with another ECHL team.Not because Stockton is a bad market or anything.The flames did a lot of damage they would need a owner with a lot of patience and a good marketing team.

Quad City never recovered after the damage the Flames did......

Last edited:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

Calgary has owned or at least affiliated with this team for going on 30 years since they were in Saint John, New Brunswick, and ever since, it's been a trail of destruction. Omaha and Abbotsford also have been wrecked by them (though with Abbotsford, I never would expect them to get a WHL club due to their proximity to Victoria and Vancouver), so it begs the question; why would a town or city accept them given their history? The immediate future sounds fun, but once the Flames organization gets bored, you lose your funds, and then they blame you for things going sour and that's when they relocate.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Calgary has owned or at least affiliated with this team for going on 30 years since they were in Saint John, New Brunswick, and ever since, it's been a trail of destruction. Omaha and Abbotsford also have been wrecked by them (though with Abbotsford, I never would expect them to get a WHL club due to their proximity to Victoria and Vancouver), so it begs the question; why would a town or city accept them given their history? The immediate future sounds fun, but once the Flames organization gets bored, you lose your funds, and then they blame you for things going sour and that's when they relocate.

Broadmoor is likely desperate for a tenant. Long-time tenant Colorado College is leaving for their on-campus arena pretty soon. Desperation has been the main component in trying to force teams into markets before, and will continue to be for a long time.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Broadmoor is likely desperate for a tenant. Long-time tenant Colorado College is leaving for their on-campus arena pretty soon. Desperation has been the main component in trying to force teams into markets before, and will continue to be for a long time.

I'm aware of the Broadmoor situation. I'm also aware they'd want a do-over since the Colorado Gold Kings, but that was a long time ago.

...you know, I confuse Broadmoor with Broomfield, which is near Denver.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

The question is... would the ECHL go back to Stockton? Logic would say "yes" since they would probably want to go back to California, but it's not that simple. A lot of places out in the Western states could feasibly be ECHL markets, yes, but considering how minor league hockey requires a lot of investments (i.e. money) and a willingness to lose money as a risk, which investors are wont to avoid, would there be an emphasis to have a Western expansion to give Stockton a chance to have nearby opponents? Utah and Idaho are isolated themselves, so the move would also benefit them for travel and other expenses; however, these markets would have to be like Wheeling's situation where there is a unique owner that is willing to accept low attendance in exchange for civic pride and community jobs, and I think they would rather just have amateur or "pay-to-play" developmental hockey instead where the costs are as low as possible.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
The question is... would the ECHL go back to Stockton? Logic would say "yes" since they would probably want to go back to California, but it's not that simple. A lot of places out in the Western states could feasibly be ECHL markets, yes, but considering how minor league hockey requires a lot of investments (i.e. money) and a willingness to lose money as a risk, which investors are wont to avoid, would there be an emphasis to have a Western expansion to give Stockton a chance to have nearby opponents? Utah and Idaho are isolated themselves, so the move would also benefit them for travel and other expenses; however, these markets would have to be like Wheeling's situation where there is a unique owner that is willing to accept low attendance in exchange for civic pride and community jobs, and I think they would rather just have amateur or "pay-to-play" developmental hockey instead where the costs are as low as possible.

Stockton to Idaho is about 13 hours by bus. That’s more of a negative than a positive for travel. They would need at least 2-3 sub 10 hour travel partners before an ownership can even be brought up. Them going to the EC is a nonstarter until that happens.

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019
Considering all the emails I get for concerts and the like, plus the proximity of Stockton to Sacramento (to the north), the Bay Area (west), and towns like Modesto to the south, it has the capability to be busy without a sports tenant.

Perhaps I regret adding my email address to that place, but eh...

But do any of those emails include Heat (or Kings) events? Because I receive the same emails for Stockton events and there is no mention of either teams' games.

Henderson Finest

Oct 13, 2019

Even if Stockton was granted an ECHL franchise, there is still a huge need for arena and Oak Park (practice) improvements. The question is whether or not the City will pony up some much needed funds to make those improvements. My guess, and based on comments made by City officials, is they would rather a $70M arena sit empty then spend money for improvements and try to lure a team here.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
depends on whether the next CEO is committed to Stockton...Calgary Sports and Entertainment may not want to be there despite their insistence to the contrary that they have no intention of leaving, but they've burned 7 markets by now.... Stockton included

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
With a NHL, AHL, and 2 successful college D1 teams, I doubt the Flames move the Heat to Colorado Springs.
it rarely matters if the Flames have now taken control over the negotiations, not the Heat, see San Antonio as the most recent example, and remember, the AHL has to vet the arena, just like they attached the conditions on BEC in Loveland.....before approving it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad