Prospect Info: Stockton Heat & All-Purpose Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Our prospects pool doesn't get the respect it deserves.
Ruzicka
Pospisil
Phillips
Philp
Zavgorodniy
Pettersen
Zary
Pelletier
Gawdin
Mackey
Lerby
Thats a big list and I have no problem believing that at least half of these guys will be longtime NHLers. I'm not sure many teams can say the same or have the ability to fill out the bottom half of the roster like we can. What we lack is high end talent but hopefully Pelletier and Zary can fill that hole.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ruzicka
Pospisil
Phillips
Philp
Zavgorodniy
Pettersen
Zary
Pelletier
Gawdin
Mackey
Lerby
Thats a big list and I have no problem believing that at least half of these guys will be longtime NHLers. I'm not sure many teams can say the same or have the ability to fill out the bottom half of the roster like we can. What we lack is high end talent but hopefully Pelletier and Zary can fill that hole.

Flames have always had solid depth in the pipeline. The big difference is star power. People always weigh the teams that have the A+ prospect even though there’s nothing behind it.

Reactions: Mazatt

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ruzicka
Pospisil
Phillips
Philp
Zavgorodniy
Pettersen
Zary
Pelletier
Gawdin
Mackey
Lerby

On your list, Ruzicka, Pospisil, Phillips, Gawdin and Mackey are all basically close to ready now. I feel really confident too that Pelletier and Zary will average to quite players in the NHL.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Flames have always had solid depth in the pipeline. The big difference is star power. People always weigh the teams that have the A+ prospect even though there’s nothing behind it.
Well there's also a big difference between depth grinder and depth skill. I don't every remember looking at our pool and thinking we could completely fill out a successful NHL bottom 6 roster. You look at the guys, already on the big club, that 24 or less that have already graduated and I think we actually match up pretty well around the league.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
On your list, Ruzicka, Pospisil, Phillips, Gawdin and Mackey are all basically close to ready now. I feel really confident too that Pelletier and Zary will average to quite players in the NHL.
Personally, I think Phillips is the biggest long shot on the list. He's top 6 or bust and I question if he has the talent or the attributes to fit on this roster.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well there's also a big difference between depth grinder and depth skill. I don't every remember looking at our pool and thinking we could completely fill out a successful NHL bottom 6 roster. You look at the guys, already on the big club, that 24 or less that have already graduated and I think we actually match up pretty well around the league.

Dunno.
2015 was a year you could have looked at our prospect depth and said “There’s something here, I think.”

You had:
Bennett coming in after that decent playoff performance.
You had a third year Monahan.
You had second year Gaudreau
Jankowski was starting to show up in NCAA.
Granlund, Ferland, Arnold and Wotherspoon all looked solid in the minors or as rookies, ready to take a big jump.
You also had Poirier finishing up his incredible rookie season in the AHL, and Klimchuk wrapping up his junior year.

It turns out that really no one did much outside of Monahan and Gaudreau; but Ferland would still be playing if not for injuries, and Poirier would likely be an impact player for us if not for crippling substance issues.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Dunno.
2015 was a year you could have looked at our prospect depth and said “There’s something here, I think.”

You had:
Bennett coming in after that decent playoff performance.
You had a third year Monahan.
You had second year Gaudreau
Jankowski was starting to show up in NCAA.
Granlund, Ferland, Arnold and Wotherspoon all looked solid in the minors or as rookies, ready to take a big jump.
You also had Poirier finishing up his incredible rookie season in the AHL, and Klimchuk wrapping up his junior year.

It turns out that really no one did much outside of Monahan and Gaudreau; but Ferland would still be playing if not for injuries, and Poirier would likely be an impact player for us if not for crippling substance issues.
I don't know, I don't ever remember looking at that pool as positively. I think it looked better, on paper, with Baertschi over Granlund. Personally, I never remember being overly happy with it but that probably had something to do with the utter disappointment of trading down for Jankowski, as well as the underwhelming returns for Iggy/Jbow

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Ruzicka
Pospisil
Phillips
Philp
Zavgorodniy
Pettersen
Zary
Pelletier
Gawdin
Mackey
Lerby
I think you're being a little hopefull....
We have to hope Pelletier & Zary can be top 6 players, but the rest would be depth. I do think Ruzicka & Pospisil make the NHL in the next couple years, but as bottom 6ers that any NHL team has.
Others fans are right that our prospect pool sucks.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think you're being a little hopefull....
We have to hope Pelletier & Zary can be top 6 players, but the rest would be depth. I do think Ruzicka & Pospisil make the NHL in the next couple years, but as bottom 6ers that any NHL team has.
Others fans are right that our prospect pool sucks.
Well Mackey and Gawdin will be on the Flames full time next year unless players take hugh strides and surpass them. By my count 6 out of 11 is over half and I think there's a strong possibility that others from the group achieve similar success. Basically you just said exactly the same thing I did.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Well Mackey and Gawdin will be on the Flames full time next year unless players take hugh strides and surpass them. By my count 6 out of 11 is over half and I think there's a strong possibility that others from the group achieve similar success. Basically you just said exactly the same thing I did.
Except I'm not bragging about our prospect pool. 1 bottom 6er gets replaced with another...it's not like they'd all be on the same team at the same time, if they are we're in full blown tank. I'd say only a few have decent NHL careers.

I'm telling you, I've been posting on here for over 20 years and every year our fans think that most of our prospects make it, but in reality only a few (if any) become anything special.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Heh, I remember when the Flames had Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox, Kulak, and Hickey in the prospect pool and fans were like, maybe one or two of them will pan out. Turns out one only hasn't while the rest are all bonafide NHL'ers to varying degrees.

Oh and don't pan home grown depth NHL'ers. If this idiot coach wasn't so afraid of playing Gawdin and developing him, it'd mean the mediocre GM wouldn't have to go out and spend 3.5M on a bottom six centre and could instead use that money elsewhere. Having depth players come up through the system is critical in a cap world.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Except I'm not bragging about our prospect pool. 1 bottom 6er gets replaced with another...it's not like they'd all be on the same team at the same time, if they are we're in full blown tank. I'd say only a few have decent NHL careers.

I'm telling you, I've been posting on here for over 20 years and every year our fans think that most of our prospects make it, but in reality only a few (if any) become anything special.

I think Mangiapane and Dube were lumped in that group not long ago. I agree Phillips is boom or bust, but I think of these guys have legit chances of playing.

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
Heh, I remember when the Flames had Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox, Kulak, and Hickey in the prospect pool and fans were like, maybe one or two of them will pan out. Turns out one only hasn't while the rest are all bonafide NHL'ers to varying degrees.

That list really doesn’t sell our development system well or is a good example for us graduating current prospects. We have one top 4 defenceman from that group. NYR have one top 4 D from it. We have a #5 on the cusp of more and a #7. Montreal has 6/7 from it and the last is AHL fodder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad