Prospect Info: Stockton Heat & All-Purpose Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
That list really doesn’t sell our development system well or is a good example for us graduating current prospects.
I mean, yeah, it wasn't supposed to. The point was only that generalizing and evaluating a group of prospects based on a 1990's mentality doesn't work anymore. We're no longer in an era where 'throw some darts at the wall and hope one hits'; you actually have to evaluate prospects individually now.

We have one top 4 defenceman from that group. NYR have one top 4 D from it. We have a #5 on the cusp of more and a #7. Montreal has 6/7 from it and the last is AHL fodder.
No question the Flames' development and management system suck but that's still 5 NHL defensemen. In a cap world, drafting and developing a Kulak or Kylington for the 5/6/7 spots is better than overpaying someone in free agency or throwing away picks to fill that role. Similarly, having a Gawdin or Pospisil emerge as bottom six depth is better than bringing in trash like Nordstrom, Simon, Leivo or overpaying a Lucic/Ryan/Brouwer.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I mean, yeah, it wasn't supposed to. The point was only that generalizing and evaluating a group of prospects based on a 1990's mentality doesn't work anymore. We're no longer in an era where 'throw some darts at the wall and hope one hits'; you actually have to evaluate prospects individually now.

No question the Flames' development and management system suck but that's still 5 NHL defensemen. In a cap world, drafting and developing a Kulak or Kylington for the 5/6/7 spots is better than overpaying someone in free agency or throwing away picks to fill that role. Similarly, having a Gawdin or Pospisil emerge as bottom six depth is better than bringing in trash like Nordstrom, Simon, Leivo or overpaying a Lucic/Ryan/Brouwer.

Actually, I'll argue the bolded. We've lost very few prospects in the last few seasons. The bigger issue is that we are graduating prospects too fast and that we are spending very little in currency to backfill many of these graduated prospects.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Guys like Zary, Pelletier, Mangiapane, Valimaki, Andersson, Hanifin, Dubé and Tkachuk give me hope that a rebuild wouldn’t be as bad as it could be.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Guys like Zary, Pelletier, Mangiapane, Valimaki, Andersson, Hanifin, Dubé and Tkachuk give me hope that a rebuild wouldn’t be as bad as it could be.
If we hadnt moved those three picks for hamonic it would be looking really good. as it stands now, no D or RW (actually I think Philips makes it), its going to be a few years to rebuild. I think Gio and Backs gotta go somewhat soon.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Kind of hoping that the WHL BC division doesn't come back. Zary-Ruzicka-Phillips seems like a fun line.

This line has a combined 8 points tonight. Zary has 2G 1A and 6 shots on net. Ruzicka has 3 primary points.

Zary's now at a point/game pace with some time left in the 3rd.

Although their 3rd goal was clearly offside lol

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

Not sure what you are trying to say....prospects weren't evaluated individually before 1990?
Another thing with your example is you list a handful of Dmen that played NHL games over 6 drafts where we focused on Dmen....there's a good list of guys from those drafts that didn't make it too.
For the record, I totally agree with what you're saying about the need to fill out the depth with graduated draft picks instead of overpaid FAs...I never argued that. I only pointed out that we as fans, have always thought "our prospect pool looks great, look at all these guys that will soon play in the NHL!"

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Ruzicka now with 3 games back to back to back with 3 points. Hopefully he keeps this up for the year and makes an impact next year.

First 2 games vs a Toronto team that had already played a few games they were outscored 12-2
Next 3 games we have outscored opposition 16-4

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Is Zary allowed to play in AHL because of Covid and some special rule? He's under 20 and drafted from WHL

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Is Zary allowed to play in AHL because of Covid and some special rule? He's under 20 and drafted from WHL
The WHL currently isn't underway so they don't have the power to deny someone the ability to play in the AHL. This is why Wolf was able to be on the team for a short time before his first teams training camp started up. The WHL is now getting up and running so Zary has a week before he is going to be sent down

Reactions: Kahvi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad