Value of: (Stl-TB) Shattenkirk

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I thought his return date was a lot more vague than that? 4-6 months leaves a lot of room. I wouldn't move forward on the assumption we're going to get him back before the playoffs.

Guess it will depend on what the doctors say come late February. That's why I'm a saying the deal is proposed under assumption that Stamkos looks like he is about ready to play, could be the opposite.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Guess it will depend on what the doctors say come late February. That's why I'm a saying the deal is proposed under assumption that Stamkos looks like he is about ready to play, could be the opposite.

Yeah, if we're assuming we'll have to get through a minimal number of games without Stamkos, then it makes it a tough decision. I think I'd be for moving Filppula, if he's still producing by then (is it just me, or is he actually getting better as the season rolls along?), and thus retaining value.

Johnson is a very tough decision though, because, whatever he's doing in the regular season, he's been an elite-level producer in the past two playoffs. I still wonder what might have been if Stamkos had been playing like Stamkos in 2015, and not a shadow of himself.

I still wonder though, if we want to move on from Johnson, maybe it would be better to trade him in the off-season, which would help free up some money to take a run at Shattenkirk as a UFA.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah, if we're assuming we'll have to get through a minimal number of games without Stamkos, then it makes it a tough decision. I think I'd be for moving Filppula, if he's still producing by then (is it just me, or is he actually getting better as the season rolls along?), and thus retaining value.

Johnson is a very tough decision though, because, whatever he's doing in the regular season, he's been an elite-level producer in the past two playoffs. I still wonder what might have been if Stamkos had been playing like Stamkos in 2015, and not a shadow of himself.

I still wonder though, if we want to move on from Johnson, maybe it would be better to trade him in the off-season, which would help free up some money to take a run at Shattenkirk as a UFA.

If it can be done for Filppula instead of TJ, that would certainly be preferable. I think talk about TJ being a 40 point center is garbage. His latent ability is far better than anyone gives him credit for. I see him as a consistent 25 goal 40 assist guy with great intangibles. At the end of the day, I just believe Shattenkirk would be a big enough addition to make up for the loss of TJ and then some.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If it can be done for Filppula instead of TJ, that would certainly be preferable. I think talk about TJ being a 40 point center is garbage. His latent ability is far better than anyone gives him credit for. I see him as a consistent 25 goal 40 assist guy with great intangibles. At the end of the day, I just believe Shattenkirk would be a big enough addition to make up for the loss of TJ and then some.

Yeah, even this year, he's on pace for 25 goals, and he's either been playing with slumping linemates or no linemates at all for most of the year. The place where he's really down has been in the assist column. I think he needs to play with legit finishers in order to rack up assists. He's a good playmaker, but he's not a guy who's going to gift-wrap goals for people. His speed and shot, on the other hand, make him good for 25 goals regardless of linemates.

Looks like we're trying him out with Drouin tonight, which could make things interesting. Definitely a step up from Johnson's regular linemates of late, both of whom (actually, his last three regular linemates...) are AHL players on temporary call-ups.

So I guess I mean, has he struggled this year? Absolutely. But the deck has been stacked against him a little bit too. He's really not a guy I'm in a hurry to get rid of when his numbers get down, considering what he's done in the playoffs, and especially without a replacement groomed and ready.

EDIT: Johnson back with his AHL linemates. Coop gon' Coop.

Last edited:

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
There's one week left. Which team is going to make a push to get Shattenkirk for the playoffs???

I'm sticking with Boston as my front runner.

Lauzon + 2017 1st

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Eklund says TB is his guess for where Shattenkirk lands. You can cross TB off the list for Shattenkirk.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think these two teams make great trade partners, and a win-win trade can be made.

Best pieces available:
Tyler Johnson
Alex Killorn
Valterri Filppula
J Drouin
Jason Garrison
Slater Koekkoek
Vladamir Namestnikov
Futures

A trade centered around Tyler Johnson and Jason Garrison for Shattenkirk I think would be great for both sides, with other pieces moving to smooth out the value. Lightning can retain 50% on Johnson to make #'s work.

Lightning get a right handed PMD who is a perfect fit on the PP. Blues swap the extra top 4 RHD for a top 4 LHD on a good contract, and get a great center under team control.

1. It's Vladislav not Vladamir
2. Why would we trade Johnson for Shatty? I'd do Boyle plus Paquette plus a 2nd/3rd.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yeah, even this year, he's on pace for 25 goals, and he's either been playing with slumping linemates or no linemates at all for most of the year. The place where he's really down has been in the assist column. I think he needs to play with legit finishers in order to rack up assists. He's a good playmaker, but he's not a guy who's going to gift-wrap goals for people. His speed and shot, on the other hand, make him good for 25 goals regardless of linemates.

Looks like we're trying him out with Drouin tonight, which could make things interesting. Definitely a step up from Johnson's regular linemates of late, both of whom (actually, his last three regular linemates...) are AHL players on temporary call-ups.

So I guess I mean, has he struggled this year? Absolutely. But the deck has been stacked against him a little bit too. He's really not a guy I'm in a hurry to get rid of when his numbers get down, considering what he's done in the playoffs, and especially without a replacement groomed and ready.

EDIT: Johnson back with his AHL linemates. Coop gon' Coop.

I mean, TJ has like 17 goals (didn't check)

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
I think these two teams make great trade partners, and a win-win trade can be made.

Best pieces available:
Tyler Johnson
Alex Killorn
Valterri Filppula
J Drouin
Jason Garrison
Slater Koekkoek
Vladamir Namestnikov
Futures

A trade centered around Tyler Johnson and Jason Garrison for Shattenkirk I think would be great for both sides, with other pieces moving to smooth out the value. Lightning can retain 50% on Johnson to make #'s work.

Lightning get a right handed PMD who is a perfect fit on the PP. Blues swap the extra top 4 RHD for a top 4 LHD on a good contract, and get a great center under team control.

Is the intention for Tampa to try to keep Shattenkirk? Would he sign there? Why not have Shatty negotiate with Tampa, then sign an 8 year deal with St. Louis prior to the trade?

Tampa and then make the trade Stralman + Boyle for Shattenkirk signed for 8 years. Tampa gets to keep all of their young forwards (for now) and locks in their top 2 defensemen for the next 8 seasons. Tampa's PP becomes seriously scary!!!

Stralman has 2 years to run. St.Louis gets a very good player who can help with the transition of Parayko into the top pairing. It would hurt Tampa fans to lose Stralman, but you are getting a very good player in return. If you still think you need to move salary I'm sure you will find takers for Garrison and Filpula elsewhere.

Fez Whatley

Jun 7, 2015
Is the intention for Tampa to try to keep Shattenkirk? Would he sign there? Why not have Shatty negotiate with Tampa, then sign an 8 year deal with St. Louis prior to the trade?

Tampa and then make the trade Stralman + Boyle for Shattenkirk signed for 8 years. Tampa gets to keep all of their young forwards (for now) and locks in their top 2 defensemen for the next 8 seasons. Tampa's PP becomes seriously scary!!!

Stralman has 2 years to run. St.Louis gets a very good player who can help with the transition of Parayko into the top pairing. It would hurt Tampa fans to lose Stralman, but you are getting a very good player in return. If you still think you need to move salary I'm sure you will find takers for Garrison and Filpula elsewhere.

Army would be tarred and feathered for this.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Pietrangelo is already all the mentor Parayko needs. It wouldn't make sense to trade Shattenkirk for another semi-expensive RHD as the main piece. It doesn't fill any need for the Blues.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am going to make myself very unpopular with my fellow Blues fans. I have zero interest in Tyler Johnson. We have enough small forwards in our top six.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I am going to make myself very unpopular with my fellow Blues fans. I have zero interest in Tyler Johnson. We have enough small forwards in our top six.

I 100% agree... I dont think he is our solution to the Center issue we have. I would rather get a 1st(possibly top 5) from NJD and maybe Henrique or a prospect if it could be done.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I 100% agree... I dont think he is our solution to the Center issue we have. I would rather get a 1st(possibly top 5) from NJD and maybe Henrique or a prospect if it could be done.

Why would NJ Trade their lottery ticket?

IF TJ was could be had, he would be excellent. Fast and dynamic. He's proven

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Why would NJ Trade their lottery ticket?

IF TJ was could be had, he would be excellent. Fast and dynamic. He's proven

I disagree. I think NJ would trade their lottery ticket to get a signed Dman that they need. It would require the "sign and trade" scenario which is rare I do understand. We would have 12-13M tied up in 2 2C's...It isnt the solution we need. I like TJ as a player but I think the NYR Fans approach with Shattenkirk is best with TJ. Wait and see if he is available after the season for the 5-6M AND have the assets from the Shattenkirk trade. If he isnt then use that $ for Parayko.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I disagree. I think NJ would trade their lottery ticket to get a signed Dman that they need. It would require the "sign and trade" scenario which is rare I do understand. We would have 12-13M tied up in 2 2C's...It isnt the solution we need. I like TJ as a player but I think the NYR Fans approach with Shattenkirk is best with TJ. Wait and see if he is available after the season for the 5-6M AND have the assets from the Shattenkirk trade. If he isnt then use that $ for Parayko.

Tyler Johnson is a RFA. Do you plan on offer sheeting him?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eklund says TB is his guess for where Shattenkirk lands. You can cross TB off the list for Shattenkirk.

Yzerman recently stated he has no interest in a rental. Which makes sense. If your team is struggling to make ground in the standings why risk the future for a current season that can easily end out of a playoff spot.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Well, now what do we do? I don't know what to do in a Shattenkirk thread when it doesn't devolve into Shatty is destined to be in New York, we'll just sign him as a free agent, or we'll give you pennies since we can just sign him anyway.

LOL maybe people will stop going with the whole we will just sign him for a reasonable amount in free agency anyways since there are about 5-10 teams who are after him :naughty:

Honestly though a Johnson Shattenkirk trade makes the most sense for both teams and probably maximizes return value for both. With that being said in the trade that OP had posted as a 7.35 to a 7.5 cap exchange type of a situation, where does this leave us to resign Parayko? I'm going to go ahead and guess that He's going to get around a 4.5 deal for maybe like 5 years or so. Will we have that kind of cap space? Or is this a situation in which maybe just maybe Armstrong realizes that he has to get rid of Lehtera for nothing which is completely fine with me as long as we can keep Barb, love the way that kid has been playing a strong two-way game since he has been up.

Steen - Stast - Tarasenko
Schwartz - TJ - Perron
Fabbri - Barb - Paajarvi (or literally anyone who looks like they know where they are)
Upshall - Brodz - Reaves

Pietro - Garrison
Parayko - JBow
Schmaltz/Bort - Eddy ( if kept)

I mean you can flip flop the lines however you want but that looks pretty solid to me. Could maybe use a RW for the second line but I'm not complaining with that sort of a roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad