Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Jordan Kyrou signs extension with the Blues (8 years, $8.125M AAV)

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Seriously if people are commenting on a deal that doesn’t start till next year on a player that is having a rough start to a season they need to get their head examined. What a joke this board is some time. FYI feel free to trade him to the TML for Nylander who makes 1 million less and is crushing it.....(this is a joke). But Doug if your listening please do it!
Realistically though last year was the highest scoring season since the early 90s and by every rational metric it wasn't expected to continue. Anyone who got paid based on a sudden career year last year is going to be a bad contract. We're already seeing it with JT Miller.

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
1 point in 6 games so far this season.
Yeah man, that is definitely irrefutable evidence that the contract is a bust, Kyrou is an awful hockey player and the Blues will be sorry for ever inking him to what is easily the worst contact in the NHL.

Thank you for providing such profound wisdom.

Reactions: Blueston

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
-15 and zero assists in 9 games. I haven’t seen him play this year, is it as bad as it looks?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Realistically though last year was the highest scoring season since the early 90s and by every rational metric it wasn't expected to continue. Anyone who got paid based on a sudden career year last year is going to be a bad contract. We're already seeing it with JT Miller.

Miller has 7 goals, 12 points in 12 games. It's the back half of his contract I'm worried about.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I don't watch a lot of Blues but I see a ton of their forwards are listed as natural Cs, including Kyrou. All of them can't play C at the same time. Perhaps Buch being out and Perron gone messed up their C/W chemistry a bit.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I mean Miller outscored the next Canuck by 30 points (so he wasn't dependant on others for his scoring). An 8 million dollar contract for a UFA guy who put up 100 points is great. It would be fair if scoring was lower and he put up only 80 points. Kyrou got more than him while scoring less and many of his years being RFA. I'm sure kyrou will start scoring so I won't say it's terrible, but neither is Miller's.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't watch a lot of Blues but I see a ton of their forwards are listed as natural Cs, including Kyrou. All of them can't play C at the same time. Perhaps Buch being out and Perron gone messed up their C/W chemistry a bit.
Kyrou hasn’t played center during his nhl career.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The guy is just a top notch offensive player and points earn you bucks. I have a feeling he’s always going to be a bit streaky and I don’t ever really see him being a two-way player but when he’s on he can absolutely win you games. You just kinda got to live with the warts.

This would be a disaster deal if he were like a 27/28 year-old impending UFA but he’s 24 so you’re gonna get solid value for at least half the contract I’d say. It’s not some sort of steal (considering Thomas is a more impactful all-around player on the same extension deal) but if you are the Blues you can sleep just fine having those two locked up through their primes.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
The guy is just a top notch offensive player and points earn you bucks. I have a feeling he’s always going to be a bit streaky and I don’t ever really see him being a two-way player but when he’s on he can absolutely win you games. You just kinda got to live with the warts.

This would be a disaster deal if he were like a 27/28 year-old impending UFA but he’s 24 so you’re gonna get solid value for at least half the contract I’d say. It’s not some sort of steal (considering Thomas is a more impactful all-around player on the same extension deal) but if you are the Blues you can sleep just fine having those two locked up through their primes.

I wondered if the Blues may have jumped the gun with Kyrou's extension, as I felt he hadn't proved as much as Thomas had up to that point, but those concerns have been mostly addressed at this point. Thomas is the better all-around player as you said, but he doesn't have the ability to take over a game on his own like Kyrou does. They showed a stat during last night's game that only McDavid and Thompson have more points than Kyrou since the middle of November.

The biggest concern for Blues fans is would Kyrou work to become more of a complete player, but he is a lot more engaged in other areas of the ice, which is great to see. He'll never be an elite 2-way player, but I think he can be more than adequate if he keeps improving.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I wondered if the Blues may have jumped the gun with Kyrou's extension, as I felt he hadn't proved as much as Thomas had up to that point, but those concerns have been mostly addressed at this point. Thomas is the better all-around player as you said, but he doesn't have the ability to take over a game on his own like Kyrou does. They showed a stat during last night's game that only McDavid and Thompson have more points than Kyrou since the middle of November.

The biggest concern for Blues fans is would Kyrou work to become more of a complete player, but he is a lot more engaged in other areas of the ice, which is great to see. He'll never be an elite 2-way player, but I think he can be more than adequate if he keeps improving.
Thomas had a 21 game stretch last season, where he had 35 points and 12 goals. Was only behind Gaudreau, Tkachuk, McDavid and Huberdeau who all either had 37 or 36 points, some had more games in that stretch though. I'd say he definitely has that ability in him too to take the game over. Like any really good playmaker that also possesses a good shot, he just doesn't shoot enough.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Thomas had a 21 game stretch last season, where he had 35 points and 12 goals. Was only behind Gaudreau, Tkachuk, McDavid and Huberdeau who all either had 37 or 36 points, some had more games in that stretch though. I'd say he definitely has that ability in him too to take the game over. Like any really good playmaker that also possesses a good shot, he just doesn't shoot enough.

Fair enough. They are both capable of putting up a lot of points, but I feel Thomas is more of a facilitator wheras Kyrou can be a one man wrecking crew that can make something out of nothing in a flash. But obviously it's nice to have both as they complement each other so well.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I've never understood our fanbase's obsession with getting down on offense-first players. We've had Tank for years. We know it's easy to knock him when the puck isn't going in the back of the net, because he doesn't do much on the other end. But it's like people forget there is another side to the coin.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Nothing has changed. Offensively talented, defensively caved. Wildly inconsistent. Flawed competitor.

The -16 is a really fair assessment of his net impact in spite of points.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Fair enough. They are both capable of putting up a lot of points, but I feel Thomas is more of a facilitator wheras Kyrou can be a one man wrecking crew that can make something out of nothing in a flash. But obviously it's nice to have both as they complement each other so well.

Yeah, definitely.

Thomas' greatest asset is certainly his hockey IQ and his ability to make everyone around him better.

Kyrou is the one that have the greater ability to go end to end, and have individual highlight reel moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad