Confirmed Signing with Link: [STL] F Jordan Kyrou signs extension with the Blues (8 years, $8.125M AAV)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I probably wouldn't have given Kyrou that kind of deal this early. I don't think Kyrou would have been any more expensive than 8x8 next off-season had he repeated his 2021-2022 season this year.

It's one thing to do it with 20 year old players like Hughes and Stutzle, who you're at risk of paying over $10 million if they progress like you expect. But Kyrou? I just don't see it with him. It seems like he would have gotten something similar next off-season, so why risk it from the Blues POV?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I probably wouldn't have given Kyrou that kind of deal this early. I don't think Kyrou would have been any more expensive than 8x8 next off-season had he repeated his 2021-2022 season this year.

It's one thing to do it with 20 year old players like Hughes and Stutzle, who you're at risk of paying over $10 million if they progress like you expect. But Kyrou? I just don't see it with him. It seems like he would have gotten something similar next off-season, so why risk it from the Blues POV?

Kyrou is one of the best wingers in the game today.

I'd argue he's better than Stutzle at this time.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Interested to see what it’ll be. Personally wouldn’t wanna go above 7M.
Much less proven young players are signing 8x8s. .

He’s clearly better than Stützle right now, of course he has several years head start

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Stutzle is 20 and the Sens may have to pay him $10+ million if he progresses like they'd expect him to progress. The gamble makes sense in their case. Same situation with Hughes, paying him $8 million prematurely makes sure they won't have to pay him $10.5 million down the line.

Here? How much more money would Kyrou get next off-season if he has a repeat PPG season? I just don't see it having a substantial impact, he'd still be coming in around $8 million. There's a huge difference between a player who is 25 when his deal starts and a player who is 21 when his deal starts.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Stutzle is 20 and the Sens may have to pay him $10+ million if he progresses like they'd expect him to progress. The gamble makes sense in their case.

Here? How much more money would Kyrou get next off-season if he has a repeat PPG season? There's a huge difference between a player who is 25 when his deal starts and a player who is 21 when his deal starts.

I dunno, but locking up their best forward makes sense for St Louis.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Well if players who haven’t even posted a PPG season yet getting 8x8 for potential I’m sure he will get 8 x 10

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

same--I would have offered a bridge of 2 years and then gave this deal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Much less proven young players are signing 8x8s.

But the gamble with those young players make sense because they could be at risk of paying them way more if they don't lock them up to those kind of deals.

I just don't think this deal makes sense from a risk/reward POV for the Blues. He only has 1 season of elite play and doesn't really strike me as the guy with huge money upside (meaning they're not at risk of paying him $10+ million if they don't sign him now). The Blues aren't really getting a discount here, they're basically just paying him what he would have cost next off-season if he had another PPG season this year.

Honestly, I feel kinda the same way about Thomas' contract as well. But with Thomas, he's also a center and an absolute hulk of a player, so I'm less concerned about that than Kyrou.

Reactions: Holy Slapshot

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Kyrou easily has the talent to become better than stutzle in my opinion.. hughes being a center is important.. but kyrou can be that good

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I dunno, but locking up their best forward makes sense for St Louis.
Kyrou is not STL's best forward. Not even their best young forward - that would be Thomas.

On the one hand, it will be good for STL to lock up a young player for the rest of their prime. OTOH, he only had one good year - it wasn't great, but good, 45th in the league in scoring- and has scored 122 pts. total in his career.

Salaries are clearly going up around the league. If Kyrou gets close to Thomas's 8M deal, then what does a guy like Pastrnak get?

Last edited:
Reactions: Falco Lombardi

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Am I the only one that's scared of paying players for "potential" vs "production"?

Not taking anything away from Kyrou or anything, but looking at who has received this massive extensions this offseason compared to their body of work over more than a single season is shocking.

I get trying to save money if they become a star and demand more later (ala Drai), but in the same breath, these are anchor contracts should production plateau or percieved potential isn't reached (ala OEL).

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I remember when Kyrou was considered bordering bust territory in 2019-2020 and was brought up on a 1-for-1 swap with bordering bust Logan Brown.

Not sure if it had any actual traction in real world but I was vehemently against it :laugh:

Since then, Senators have a complete rehaul of their Centers with 0 from that team 3 years ago left on the current roster. Turnover in 3 years can be nuts after a rebuild.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Am I the only one that's scared of paying players for "potential" vs "production"?

Not taking anything away from Kyrou or anything, but looking at who has received this massive extensions this offseason compared to their body of work over more than a single season is shocking.

I get trying to save money if they become a star and demand more later (ala Drai), but in the same breath, these are anchor contracts should production plateau or percieved potential isn't reached (ala OEL).
Paying for production is how you get into trouble.

Reactions: SenzZen and Chose

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Stutzle is 20 and the Sens may have to pay him $10+ million if he progresses like they'd expect him to progress. The gamble makes sense in their case. Same situation with Hughes, paying him $8 million prematurely makes sure they won't have to pay him $10.5 million down the line.

Here? How much more money would Kyrou get next off-season if he has a repeat PPG season? I just don't see it having a substantial impact, he'd still be coming in around $8 million. There's a huge difference between a player who is 25 when his deal starts and a player who is 21 when his deal starts.

I understand the comparison but team context needs to be at play here too, Kyrou has simply produced in limited ice time on a stacked Blues forward group and most likely would have had Stutzle like numbers given the ice time and role he had with the Sens.

Kyrou is a core piece of the blues future and worth an 8 X 8.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Sure, but Kyrou is 4yrs older than Stutzle... AKA about 25-35% further into his career.

I think this is a reasonable deal for Kyrou, but you can't really compare it to Stutzle's deal and get any meaningful info.

Norris, Cirelli, Thomas, Fiala, and Suzuki are probably the guys to compare to. The only one he will likely make notably more than is Cirelli, and that's the least comparable situation given that it involves Tampa.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
With Perron gone this season and Tarasenko most likely gone next season this will put Kyrou on the fast track to top 6 minutes. He put up a Point per Game last season in his sophomore season. He is also more productive points wise in his first two full seasons than Tarasenko was in his first two full seasons. Tarasenko was rewarded with 7.5mil over 8 years at 23 going on 24 in 2015. So Kyrou would be getting 500k more than Tarasenko at the same age with a tad higher production and cap ceiling increases in the past 7 years.

Reactions: bert

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I remember when Kyrou was considered bordering bust territory in 2019-2020 and was brought up on a 1-for-1 swap with bordering bust Logan Brown.

Not sure if it had any actual traction in real world but I was vehemently against it :laugh:

Since then, Senators have a complete rehaul of their Centers with 0 from that team 3 years ago left on the current roster. Turnover in 3 years can be nuts after a rebuild.
By who? No reasonable Blues fan had him in bust territory.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
same--I would have offered a bridge of 2 years and then gave this deal
If/when the cap goes up in those 2 years, you aren't getting him for this deal, though.

I think now with the flat cap is the best time for teams to lock up young talent. Any long term deal has risk, but there's also a bigger chance of these deals being considerably under market as the cap starts to go back up.

Reactions: Voight

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

The comp here doesn't make sense since the comp OEL contract would be the one he signed in 2013, which was great value. OEL's bad contract was when he was an established vet with the contract taking up his 30s.

Reactions: Regal

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2