Confirmed Trade: [STL/CAR] Justin Faulk (14% retained), 2020 5th for Joel Edmundson, Dominik Bokk, 2021 7th

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This is actually incredible asset management by the Canes. Most teams would've let Faulk go for nothing during the UFA season. Instead, the Canes acquired Gardiner and locked him into a bargain contract and flipped Faulk before his contract year for a 1st-round caliber prospect. Essentially turned a pending UFA into young assets while improving the team.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Carolina has really set themselves up nicely moving forward. Good team loaded on defense with a nice prospect pool.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think this is a good return for Carolina all things considered, the players they get back and this puts them under the cap nicely with a 23 man roster.

Edmundson felt like the odd man out in St. Louis for a while.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not likely.

Nino-Aho-Svech
Foegele-Staal-Teravainen
Dzingel-Haula-Necas / Gauthier
Martinook-Wallmark-McGinn

Not really a spot for him this year.
Given the depth we have in the organization I'm starting to wonder if we have a logjam with those middle to bottom 6 prospects.... There doesn't seem to be enough room for everyone we're stockpiling right now.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't like trading a position of strength (D) and the best piece you got back is a D man... more firepower up front would've been better.

Ideally that would be better, but who's going to give up a player of that caliber? The "more firepower" forward would have to be better than:

Nino, Aho, Svech
Foegele-Staal-Teravainen
Dzingel-Haula-Necas

Adding a forward that doesn't improve on that line-up doesn't really help much.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
This is actually incredible asset management by the Canes. Most teams would've let Faulk go for nothing during the UFA season. Instead, the Canes acquired Gardiner and locked him into a bargain contract and flipped Faulk before his contract year for a 1st-round caliber prospect. Essentially turned a pending UFA into young assets while improving the team.

I too am very impressed.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't like this from a Canes perspective I'm not gonna lie.

Last year:

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
DeHaan-TVR

This year:
Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Edmundson-TVR (once TVR is back, anyway)

It's really not all that much different if you believe Gardiner is roughly equal to Faulk (which I think most people would agree on). I'm sure Edmundson is probably a bit of a downgrade from De Haan, but not a huge downgrade and he's just a one-year placeholder anyway.

Meanwhile they've shed salary (Gardiner is cheaper than Faulk and Edmundson is cheaper than De Haan), acquired a forward prospect and freed up some long-term lineup spots for rookies coming in the next 2-3 years (Bean, Priskie, Sellgren)

I feel like the Canes have played this situation perfectly, and I was a fan of Faulk.

Reactions: HisIceness

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Given the depth we have in the organization I'm starting to wonder if we have a logjam with those middle to bottom 6 prospects.... There doesn't seem to be enough room for everyone we're stockpiling right now.
I don't think you can have too many good prospects. Keep in mind, it's likely that some of these kids won't make it

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If Faulk is your #3 on the right side, it's a very good right side. We aren't relying on him to play the minutes he did in Carolina. He'll just be in the Shattenkirk role when he was here.

Hop in your time machine and go back to 2015 when Faulk was actually a good PP guy and you might on to something. He's not that kind of player anymore.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Short term, this move alone is a degrade on defense. That said, not sure that Gardiner/Edmundson is a degrade at all over de Hann(particularly coming off his injury) and Faulk.

Long term, the Canes weren't signing Faulk to that deal.
Is it a degrade on defense? Edmundson is a good defenseman and clearly superior defensively.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't think you can have too many good prospects. Keep in mind, it's likely that some of these kids won't make it

Yeah, the Canes have a bit of a luxury right now to take a chances on boom or bust prospects. They have a very young team, a deep prospect pool, just had 12 picks in the last draft and already have two 1sts, two 2nds (likely) and two 3rds in this upcoming draft. If they take a chance on a guy and he busts, it's not a big deal.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If Faulk is your #3 on the right side, it's a very good right side. We aren't relying on him to play the minutes he did in Carolina. He'll just be in the Shattenkirk role when he was here.
I suppose. Faulk is decent at moving the puck out of the zone, but is terrible in his own end and is pretty slow. I know Rod used him a bunch last season, but I also know that Peters wanted him gone.
From a Canes perspective, getting Edmundson reduces the payroll and does add a little needed toughness. Bokk is a bonus.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Pretty fair deal but quite honestly, Faulk got sheltered being in Carolina's market. I am convinced if Faulk played in a market like Toronto (some others as well)- there is zero chance he gets the type of deal the Blues just signed him for.
Well he wouldn’t have got that type of deal in Toronto cause most their salary is tied up in 5 forwards.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I suppose. Faulk is decent at moving the puck out of the zone, but is terrible in his own end and is pretty slow. I know Rod used him a bunch last season, but I also know that Peters wanted him gone.
From a Canes perspective, getting Edmundson reduces the payroll and does add a little needed toughness. Bokk is a bonus.
Yeah, both defensemen leave a bit to be desired at times. Both teams did well. It's just the extension that I'm not thrilled about.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
No one is saying Faulk is amazing, but there really isn't a better right-side in the NHL IMO. Petro, Parayko, and Faulk is tough to beat.

I wasn't saying he's a bad player, I'm saying he's not a PP weapon anymore.

His game has changed. He's more of a two-way guy now. I like him and always have, I'm not ragging on him. All I'm saying is, you're not getting the type of player you think you are.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Is it a degrade on defense? Edmundson is a good defenseman and clearly superior defensively.

Superior at some aspects. He's worse when it comes to zone entries and exits and doesn't move the puck as well (which is key for the Canes style of play) and that's part of "defense". Faulk, despite what people think, played the 2nd most minutes on Carolina last year (among D), and wasn't sheltered at all. Faulk, IMO, is the better overall player.

Reactions: Blueston

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Yeah, the Canes have a bit of a luxury right now to take a chances on boom or bust prospects. They have a very young team, a deep prospect pool, just had 12 picks in the last draft and already have two 1sts, two 2nds (likely) and two 3rds in this upcoming draft. If they take a chance on a guy and he busts, it's not a big deal.

Yes, the Canes entire model for the 2019 draft was centered on going after high ceiling, low floor prospects. Honka/Fensore/Tieksola/Slepets all fit that concept to me, and Bokk is yet another example of this. I see their 2020 strategy being no different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad