Confirmed Trade: [STL/BUF] Ryan O'Reilly for 2019 1st, 2021 2nd, Patrik Berglund, Vladimir Sobotka, and Tage Thompson

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I think this trade would’ve been decent without Berglund included. Now they have an anchor of a player/contract for 4 years.

I also thought at the time that Buffalo could’ve done better or at least gotten better assets by taking on cap dumps.

It’s hard to understand how they went from asking Montreal the 3rd overall pick to this.
My guess is the deal didn't initially include Bergy but BUF held out. But the Blues signed Bozak on July 1, necessitating the movement of another contract to make the money work.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
My guess is the deal didn't initially include Bergy but BUF held out. But the Blues signed Bozak on July 1, necessitating the movement of another contract to make the money work.

Or maybe they absolutely wanted Berglund in the deal since they knew they were signing Bozak as well

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The pick is top 10 protected, but the Blues have looked so bad in every facet so far...I’m not sure it’s going to be late even if they recover a bit.
Even if they don't right the ship this year and end up with a top 10 pick they'll have one more year of growth for their young guys like Kyrou and Thomas and a chance to improve their goaltending in the offseason. Buffalo will be lucky if that pick lands in the top half of the 1st round next season. I just don't see it. The Blues have some organizational holes that need to be filled, but there is a lot of talent on that team.

Reactions: thedustman

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Or maybe they absolutely wanted Berglund in the deal since they knew they were signing Bozak as well
Its possible, but Armstrong has said the talks broke down on June 30th-early July 1, I think that's when he pulled the trigger on his backup option in Bozak. The Bozak contract sure seems like a panic move when he didn't think he was going to get ROR and he needed to upgrade at center (or it was a $15m bluff).

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
So based on the first few games, do Buffalo fans think Berglund is worse than Sobotka? Blues fans were always pretty divided on which one frustrated them more. I always liked Sobotka's hustle and tenacious play, although in recent years he lost his physical edge and his effort doesn't translate into points very often. It seems like you dislike Bergland more, just curious what other Sabres fans think.

For the record, I liked what I saw from Thompson last year at times but he just wasn't ready to be a full-time NHL player. Maybe he is feeling more pressure to do something since he was the main part of the package for such a well-known player. Hope he turns out to be good for you guys. Also, I don't think that first will be so late based on how the Blues look this year.

Given the division stl is in i feel the pick will be 13-19. The draft cut of usually is top 20 from top 6/top 2--3 Dman and 3rd line 4th-5th dman

I havent seen enough games yet. Check back after 30 Sob missed a couple with injury.

I think at this years deadline buffalo can retain the remainder this year and get a 2nd on sobotka

Betgland is a manageable buyout in 2020. I could see if becoming a player/coach given the young swede players buffalo has. Dahlin, olafsson, asplund, davidsson, and others

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Its possible, but Armstrong has said the talks broke down on June 30th-early July 1, I think that's when he pulled the trigger on his backup option in Bozak. The Bozak contract sure seems like a panic move when he didn't think he was going to get ROR and he needed to upgrade at center (or it was a $15m bluff).

I don’t know, you may be right. One thing is sure DA needed to act and he did. Once this team is back on track they should be able to secure a playoff spot quite easily.

The left side of the D and G remains a mystery but I doubt it will hurt them too much. Too much talent up front

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The unanswered question.

I could see bergland being part from the start to bslance out salarys znd buffalo was willing given he is swede and buffalo has a bunch of swede prospects.

SobTka could have been added after Bozak. By adding him it could have changed the compensation elsewhere like a 3rd to a 2nd

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
The unanswered question.

I could see bergland being part from the start to bslance out salarys znd buffalo was willing given he is swede and buffalo has a bunch of swede prospects.

SobTka could have been added after Bozak. By adding him it could have changed the compensation elsewhere like a 3rd to a 2nd
Absolutely, I'm just saying I think the proposed deal was different on June 30th than what it ended up being.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Given the division stl is in i feel the pick will be 13-19. The draft cut of usually is top 20 from top 6/top 2--3 Dman and 3rd line 4th-5th dman

I havent seen enough games yet. Check back after 30 Sob missed a couple with injury.

I think at this years deadline buffalo can retain the remainder this year and get a 2nd on sobotka

Betgland is a manageable buyout in 2020. I could see if becoming a player/coach given the young swede players buffalo has. Dahlin, olafsson, asplund, davidsson, and others

I wouldn't be surprised to see him or Skinner get moved at the DL, but there's no way Sobotka returns a 2nd. I imagine him getting a 4th/conditional 3rd at best.

Let's hope for a 10th place finish for STL and a 16th place for Buffalo, with Buffalo moving up to the top 3 with their pick and knocking St. Louis down to 11th overall.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
Even if they don't right the ship this year and end up with a top 10 pick they'll have one more year of growth for their young guys like Kyrou and Thomas and a chance to improve their goaltending in the offseason. Buffalo will be lucky if that pick lands in the top half of the 1st round next season. I just don't see it. The Blues have some organizational holes that need to be filled, but there is a lot of talent on that team.
What an amazing user name

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
I wouldn't be surprised to see him or Skinner get moved at the DL, but there's no way Sobotka returns a 2nd. I imagine him getting a 4th/conditional 3rd at best.

Let's hope for a 10th place finish for STL and a 16th place for Buffalo, with Buffalo moving up to the top 3 with their pick and knocking St. Louis down to 11th overall.
The odds on that scenario are exceptionally long!

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
So the Blues are last in their division? Has locker room leader Ryan O’Reilly broken out “I have to be better” yet?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
ROR has been fantastic for the Blues - he’s one of the top 3 talented players on the team; unfortunately for him (and the Blues), Yeo is still coaching the team, and the team has continued their downward spiral from last season; but, it’s been 7 games.

It sounds like Berglund and Sobotka are playing as advertised from Blues fans, but Buffalo fans should expect Berglund to go on some mini-tears where he scores 5 goals in a handful of games - I’m still a Berglund fan.

Thompson has so much potential, but he should really be in the AHL.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Blues got the best player and a low end 1C more suited as a high end 2C who will give you 60 points and dominate at the dot if you give him 20+ mins.

The Sabres are happy because it was the only possible culture change move they could make and it has already paid dividends. The Sabres were of course never trading Eichel and trading anyone else would not jolt the room. Trading one of the highest paid players in the game who at one time had the largest contract in Sabres history would and did jolt the room. Thompson should be in the AHL but he has done enough to not hurt us on the ice hence why he is still up. After this trip I expect him to be sent down soon and brought up later. Sobotka has been a nice add, we have sorely needed a pest. Berglund has been real close to scoring, and I anticipate 15-19 goals.

And of course a 1st and 2nd, a 7.5 mil roster bonus not paid by Buffalo and getting out of a 7.5 mil aav deal that is half a decade long for a player nearing the end of his prime is the real asset for Buffalo.

The Sabres were never above .500 a single time in RoRs tenure as the Sabres 1C/leader/most expensive player. They did not win their 4th game last year until November 2nd, game #13. It is mid October, game 8 and we just got #4.

And not just that it opened up room to bring in Skinner (legit 30 goal high end winger) and allowed Jack Eichel to become the face of the franchise and finally get that C on his sweater.

I wish nothing but the best for RoR and the Blues. Except when we play each other and also this season where I hope you guys end up finishing with the #11 pick this season :laugh:

This is a trade where both teams will end up being happy. Blues get their coveted top 6 C, Sabres add a high end young player, a 1st, a 2nd and some decent vets. Sobotkas deal is too short to be a true cap dump and Berglund makes less then 3.9 mil per and if he continues his 15-20 goal average then that is fair value.

If you want to see a true albatross and real cap dump look at Kyle Okposo. 6 mil AAV for HALF A DECADE. He is slow, cannot pass, fans on half his shots and cannot even do basic things like keep the puck in on the PP (where he plays on the top unit. And still cannot produce).

So call Berglund and Sobotka cap dumps all you want. They are decent middle 6 vets and can still play. A real cap dump are bums like Okposo, Eriksson and Lucic.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Sabres got fleeced.

Berglund was recently a healthy scratch and Sobotka is a dime a dozen guy.

Thompson doesn't belong in the NHL at the moment.

Hated this deal from day 1 and still do.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Blues got the best player and a low end 1C more suited as a high end 2C who will give you 60 points and dominate at the dot if you give him 20+ mins.

The Sabres are happy because it was the only possible culture change move they could make and it has already paid dividends. The Sabres were of course never trading Eichel and trading anyone else would not jolt the room. Trading one of the highest paid players in the game who at one time had the largest contract in Sabres history would and did jolt the room. Thompson should be in the AHL but he has done enough to not hurt us on the ice hence why he is still up. After this trip I expect him to be sent down soon and brought up later. Sobotka has been a nice add, we have sorely needed a pest. Berglund has been real close to scoring, and I anticipate 15-19 goals.

And of course a 1st and 2nd, a 7.5 mil roster bonus not paid by Buffalo and getting out of a 7.5 mil aav deal that is half a decade long for a player nearing the end of his prime is the real asset for Buffalo.

The Sabres were never above .500 a single time in RoRs tenure as the Sabres 1C/leader/most expensive player. They did not win their 4th game last year until November 2nd, game #13. It is mid October, game 8 and we just got #4.

And not just that it opened up room to bring in Skinner (legit 30 goal high end winger) and allowed Jack Eichel to become the face of the franchise and finally get that C on his sweater.

I wish nothing but the best for RoR and the Blues. Except when we play each other and also this season where I hope you guys end up finishing with the #11 pick this season :laugh:

This is a trade where both teams will end up being happy. Blues get their coveted top 6 C, Sabres add a high end young player, a 1st, a 2nd and some decent vets. Sobotkas deal is too short to be a true cap dump and Berglund makes less then 3.9 mil per and if he continues his 15-20 goal average then that is fair value.

If you want to see a true albatross and real cap dump look at Kyle Okposo. 6 mil AAV for HALF A DECADE. He is slow, cannot pass, fans on half his shots and cannot even do basic things like keep the puck in on the PP (where he plays on the top unit. And still cannot produce).

So call Berglund and Sobotka cap dumps all you want. They are decent middle 6 vets and can still play. A real cap dump are bums like Okposo, Eriksson and Lucic.

Opened up room for Skinner? We saved basically no cap for the first 2 years on the ROR trade. We could have brought in Skinner regardless.

This team would look 10x better with ROR right now.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
you could watch a game and see what is going on, but that sounds difficult
The only way some Buffalo fans can justify trading ROR to St. Louis' for essentially spare parts and a couple lotto tickets is to peddle the narrative that Ryan was a raging locker room cancer who's excessive brooding and dour demeanor was sapping the joy from Buffalo's locker room. It's utter nonsense but a comforting narrative nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad