Proposal: STL/ARI: Brayden Schenn for Ekman-Larsson

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I'd say Keller for Schenn, but I think the 7 year age gap is just too much. Maybe if we also included Goligoski and Dunn. Keller+Goligoski for Schenn+Dunn?
Pass on Goligoski. How about Schenn+Dunn for Keller+Chychrun?

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Okay, he isn’t a HOF player but he is currently a SC Champ. A guy that scores, hits and fights is a gamer to me, despite his trend of playoff struggles.
I like him he's for sure a good player but gamer makes him seems like he has a big history of stepping up in big game and that's just not true with that said he was very good in the finals

Reactions: Bluesguru

Yakupov64

Dec 25, 2017
Even thou Keller is from St Louis, he is just an above average player, at this point not worth the money he is making. Also the Blues will have to pay for Jaden Schwartz and Robert Thomas next year. You can not pay everyone 6-8 million per year.
Well I would argue that Schwartz is a bigger gamble than keller is at this point. I'd rather risk overpaying keller than offering 5 or 6 million to Schwartz and take my chances. Keller is not only younger but I think IF there actually were any team where he could really shine, it's his hometown. Especially after coming off a cup win and maroon coming home and setting the bar. As gifted as Schwartz is, that's just a gamble I'd be willing to take but that's why I'm not a gm.

The whole point of all of this is to say I'd include Schwartz in a trade if you're really worried about having to pay him the following year. Why not, schenn and Schwartz for OEL and keller? Could that work?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well I would argue that Schwartz is a bigger gamble than keller is at this point. I'd rather risk overpaying keller than offering 5 or 6 million to Schwartz and take my chances. Keller is not only younger but I think IF there actually were any team where he could really shine, it's his hometown. Especially after coming off a cup win and maroon coming home and setting the bar. As gifted as Schwartz is, that's just a gamble I'd be willing to take but that's why I'm not a gm.

The whole point of all of this is to say I'd include Schwartz in a trade if you're really worried about having to pay him the following year. Why not, schenn and Schwartz for OEL and keller? Could that work?
Say whatever you want about overall fit or team need, OEL and Schenn have extremely similar trade value. Your proposal is that Arizona should trade Keller for a pending UFA?

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

We would lose an awful lot of grit in that scenario. And before the "grit doesn't matter in the new NHL" comments come in, grit was a big part in the Blues winning the Cup.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Say whatever you want about overall fit or team need, OEL and Schenn have extremely similar trade value. Your proposal is that Arizona should trade Keller for a pending UFA?
Forget Keller. I'm not interested. (Some of my fellow Blues fans are going to roast me for that). I do admit, if, (it's a big if), Pietrangelo does not re-sign, then an OEL for Schenn swap does make sense from a perspective of team needs and contracts.

Yakupov64

Dec 25, 2017
No. There can be plenty more to add if need be. I'm saying that's a decent starting point. If Arizona gave up keller for anyone, I think Schwartz is a pretty good replacement. Add a prospect(not named kyrou or kostin) or a pick or something

Yakupov64

Dec 25, 2017
No. There can be plenty more to add if need be. I'm saying that's a decent starting point. If Arizona gave up keller for anyone, I think Schwartz is a pretty good replacement. Add a prospect(not named kyrou or kostin) or a pick or something

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We would lose an awful lot of grit in that scenario. And before the "grit doesn't matter in the new NHL" comments come in, grit was a big part in the Blues winning the Cup.

It seems you're just in the pocket of "big grit".

Seriously though, I don't know where that mentality comes from. Of course grit has its place in the game. What doesn't is the idea that grit beats all other aspects.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It seems you're just in the pocket of "big grit".

Seriously though, I don't know where that mentality comes from. Of course grit has its place in the game. What doesn't is the idea that grit beats all other aspects.

I don’t disagree. But the Blues style of play is strongly based around bird play and a heavy forecheck. Schenn fits this team very well.

I don’t think this proposal is bad by any means. But right now and based on how well the core of our team has bought into the system, it’s hard to imagine something around the two could work, mainly due to Schenn having flexibility on the wing as well.

If Pietrangelo were signed OEL is definitely something I’d like for Armstrong to persue. However, I think the piece that would make it favorable for us going back the other way would be Faulk with additions. Which I’m not so sure is something that Arizona would be interested in. Unfortunately those additions would more than likely have to include Steen or Allen as well to make it all work cap wise.

If Pietrangelo walks, this proposal may make more sense on our end as I don’t know if Faulk can carry a Gunnarsson like Pietrangelo can.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don’t disagree. But the Blues style of play is strongly based around bird play and a heavy forecheck. Schenn fits this team very well.

I don’t think this proposal is bad by any means. But right now and based on how well the core of our team has bought into the system, it’s hard to imagine something around the two could work, mainly due to Schenn having flexibility on the wing as well.

If Pietrangelo were signed OEL is definitely something I’d like for Armstrong to persue. However, I think the piece that would make it favorable for us going back the other way would be Faulk with additions. Which I’m not so sure is something that Arizona would be interested in. Unfortunately those additions would more than likely have to include Steen or Allen as well to make it all work cap wise.

If Pietrangelo walks, this proposal may make more sense on our end as I don’t know if Faulk can carry a Gunnarsson like Pietrangelo can.
Perhaps I overstated the "grit" thing. I can actually see OEL being a fit with the Blues. Especially if Pietrangelo walks. Keller, however, could have a rough time under Berube.

rt

May 13, 2004

Not sure why the trade would require a salary dump to make it work? OEL’s caphit is only 1.75m higher than Schenn’s. It’s not nothing, but it’s not wanting for an offset the size of Steen or Faulk, either. Seems like a secondary, much smaller move down the road is more appropriate than trying to fix that with this one trade.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Not sure why the trade would require a salary dump to make it work? OEL’s caphit is only 1.75m higher than Schenn’s. It’s not nothing, but it’s not wanting for an offset the size of Steen or Faulk, either. Seems like a secondary, much smaller move down the road is more appropriate than trying to fix that with this one trade.

How bout we keep schenn you keep oel

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Sorry which hypothetical scenario are you outlining?

The only way I see the trade of Schenn for OEL being something that should be heavily considered would be due to Pietrangelo walking.

Our defense has in general been stout enough that moving out a top6 guy who fits the playstyle of our make up should not be considered esp in a scenario in which we take on extra salary to do so.

We are ultimately up against the cap if Pietro stays which I really hope he does. Not only does he require a raise, Dunn also requires a nice raise too. Blais I’m sure will receive a raise. I’m just not too sure how much or one.

The main scenario I outlined in which we would have to send cap back would be a trade based around Faulk and OEL. As to be honest with you, as long as Pietrangelo stays that’s the only sort of deal I can see making legitimate sense on our end.

Spending presumably
9? Per year on Pietrangelo
8 on OEL
5.5 on Parayko and
6.5 on Faulk doesn’t make much sense on our end given the general usage and typical partner Parayko is deployed with.

if Pietro does walk though. There could be a legitimate need in which sending a top 6 player for a defensemen could be necessary.

rt

May 13, 2004
what if we did Schenn and Faulk for OEL and Stepan 50% retained

The whole point is to have a D-core of OEL,Petro, Scandella,Parayko, Dunn, Bortz, Perunovich

New lines(obvi next year)
Schwartz-Thomas-Tarasenko
Sanford-ROR-Perron
Blais-Stepan-Kyrou
Barbs-Sunny- MacMac

Scandella-Petro
OEL-Parayko
Dunn-Bortz
Perunovich

If we were to add OEL, then one of Dunn or Perunovich has to go. A future LD consisting of OEL-Dunn-Perunovich scares the heck out of me. There has to be at least one defensively responsible player on the left. Maybe Mikkola can be that guy. Possibly a re-signed Scandella.

Pass on Goligoski. How about Schenn+Dunn for Keller+Chychrun?

To STL
OEL
Keller
Stepan-50%

To ARI
Brayden Schenn
Jaden Schwartz
Vince Dunn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad