Pre-Game Talk: Still Pre-Season ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And THAT is the best part. JR has not put this team in any danger by panicking and giving bad term or an idiotic NTC or anything like that. Good situation to be in.
indeed. He's being patient. Obviously we'd like to have better centers right now. But he knows we're better off waiting for the right choices instead of just taking the best that's available even if it's not a good deal.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
indeed. He's being patient. Obviously we'd like to have better centers right now. But he knows we're better off waiting for the right choices instead of just taking the best that's available even if it's not a good deal.

Yep. Everyone agrees our bottom 6 centers are the big question mark. But we have cap space. We have assets. We have a GM who understands our identity and understands the need. 4C might be easy to pick up at the deadline (Hell even Cullen could be available if the Wild end up sucking). 3C is the big one and JR is clearly aware. It's not ideal right now, but the time to whine and complain is not all summer and October.

It's what we need to fix. We all know it. It's not like the Pens are making excuses and saying we are fine.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
It sucks that the ignore lists got wiped, but I'm more rattled about not being able to ignore threads. Not out of anger or anything like that, but pure laziness--I just don't want to have to scroll down past several of the stickied threads. :laugh:

Ignore lists didn't get wiped, they're even better now because you can't even see the posts of the people you have on ignore when other people quote them. You just have to click on their name and hit ignore.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
And THAT is the best part. JR has not put this team in any danger by panicking and giving bad term or an idiotic NTC or anything like that. Good situation to be in.

This team is signicnatly worse than the team in June. It's hard to put the team in "danger" when you do so little.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This team is signicnatly worse than the team in June. It's hard to put the team in "danger" when you do so little.
So what moves should JR have made. What bad moves did he make?

Also, are you ignoring how much better our defense is with Letang back? Yeah, our bottom center spots are worse, but our defense is WAY better.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Did you read what you just wrote? Seriously? The team, at the beginning of the regular season, is worse than a team who went to the Cup Final. I am shocked. Very shocked.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ignore lists didn't get wiped, they're even better now because you can't even see the posts of the people you have on ignore when other people quote them. You just have to click on their name and hit ignore.

But the previous contents of the ignore list have to be added all over again. Or at least I had to add people to the ignore list again.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also, the Pens have finished with a stronger team than they started the season with the last two seasons running. Player development and AHL promotions are just as valid a way to strengthen a team as trade, and trades can happen during the season as well too. If we're weaker now than when we won the Cup then... okay? Once again, we'll be looking to strengthen during the season.

Although I have to agree with Ogrezilla - any comparison of where the team stood in July and where the team stands now has to factor in that Letang is fit again (and hopefully stays that way).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So what moves should JR have made. What bad moves did he make?

Also, are you ignoring how much better our defense is with Letang back? Yeah, our bottom center spots are worse, but our defense is WAY better.

Stop humoring him. Everyone has tried to reason with him all summer but to no avail.

His reply will be:

1. Resign Bonino - even though after hearing Bonino's comments on Nashville, it doesn't sound like they had much of a chance to do so. He ignores how bad of a contract $4mil/yr for 4 years could be considering the relative impact of Bonino.

2. Sign Dominic Moore. He didn't want to wait for Cullen who was a far superior 4C to decide. He believes Moore would have been a significantly better 4C than anything inside.

3. Not traded for Reaves, draft Kostin despite there be zero indications that the Pens would have even drafted him.

Everything is a hindsight cry fest.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
2. Sign Dominic Moore. He didn't want to wait for Cullen who was a far superior 4C to decide. He believes Moore would have been a significantly better 4C than anything inside.

I can't wait to see how he spins this if Moore ends up on waivers or if the Penguins get him somehow. He'll still complain about something JR did :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sorry but I don't think manamgent should get praise for re-signing RFA's or not re-signing crap players like Kunitz.

What has management done proactively this summer to make the Pens better? I guess I can agree Hunwick was a decent decision. But he certainly doesn't make up for the center disaster.

I'm just not impressed with responses like JR was smart because he didn't re-sign x player or he was brilliant since he re-signed RFA player x.

So you can't judge management on 90% of the moves they did make, but only on the 10% of moves that you didn't like?

Sounds like you're perfectly capable of being unbiased and fair in your assessments, for sure.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Did you read what you just wrote? Seriously? The team, at the beginning of the regular season, is worse than a team who went to the Cup Final. I am shocked. Very shocked.

Cole, I find your lack of urgency surprising and disappointing . . . the playoffs start in 28 weeks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Cole, I find your lack of urgency surprising and disappointing . . . the playoffs start in 28 weeks.

The Stanley Cup is decided on October 1st. I don't understand why you people don't realize this? This is the Pens' roster. They're not allowed to make changes over the next 6 months. What we see now is the team we will see come playoff time.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Stanley Cup is decided on October 1st. I don't understand why you people don't realize this? This is the Pens' roster. They're not allowed to make changes over the next 6 months. What we see now is the team we will see come playoff time.

Exactly. It's over. Cole's head is in the clouds.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So now Letang playing is enough to overcome the pathetic bottom centers?

Yikes, that's an interesting take I guess?

Just because I think the Pens had a poor off season doesn't mean I don't like them or that I'm not a fan. You don't have to a blind homer. I'm sure management would tell you that they have quite a bit to do before they are satisfied.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Just because I think the Pens had a poor off season doesn't mean I don't like them or that I'm not a fan. You don't have to a blind homer. I'm sure management would tell you that they have quite a bit to do before they are satisfied.

Has anyone here suggested otherwise?

HINT: What's been suggested is that there are over 6 months until the playoffs start, so there's time to make the right moves instead of rushing to make the wrong ones.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Has anyone here suggested otherwise?

HINT: What's been suggested is that there are over 6 months until the playoffs start, so there's time to make the right moves instead of rushing to make the wrong ones.
I've suggest that Letang back goes a long way to making up for the loss of the bottom 6 centers if he's comparing today's team to the one we had in June.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Today I learned bottom 6 center >#1D.

What evidence do you have that management is satisfied with the current roster and will no longer look for moves to make?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've suggest that Letang back goes a long way to making up for the loss of the bottom 6 centers if he's comparing today's team to the one we had in June.

We'll see how long the way is, but I don't see what's unreasonable about that. Yeah, regular season, there's a big drop from Bonino to McKegg, but there's a gain from Daley to Letang. You didn't even say it fully makes up for it, for heaven's sake.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Today I learned bottom 6 center >#1D.

What evidence do you have that management is satisfied with the current roster and will no longer look for moves to make?

I'm actually confident that management knows they need to make drastic changes. I just wish we had done something this off-season, whether that's acquire an established 4C or a legitimate 3C. I don't want to handicap ourselves for a large part of the season which two jokes playing center.

JR said repeatedly that he had a half dozen trades line up. We don't need to permanently solve the 3C before the season, but we needed to do something. Inviting McClement to camp wasn't enough and here we are.

I also wouldn't criticize JR if he acquires Moore IF he's our fourth line center. I don't like Downey so it's not that hard for me to be happy with a replacement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad