Pre-Game Talk: Still Pre-Season ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Hindsight Cry Fest is my new festival name.

Nope, I've been expressing my beliefs all summer so that I wouldn't be told hindsight is 20/20. I was insulted when I expressed my concerns early in the summer because 1. We just won the cup! and 2. JR has all summer, he's not going into the season with the roster as is! He has plenty of time.

And here we are...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm actually confident that management knows they need to make drastic changes.

On the one hand this might be performance art, in which case it's been very successful. On the other, this person might just be very young.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Nope, I've been expressing my beliefs all summer so that I wouldn't be told hindsight is 20/20. I was insulted when I expressed my concerns early in the summer because 1. We just won the cup! and 2. JR has all summer, he's not going into the season with the roster as is! He has plenty of time.

And here we are...

That's nice and all, but when you shell out $50 to see Gobstopper, the Tri-State Area's (only) Best Jawbreaker cover band headline the mainstage on a field in the middle of Venango County, you'll know there can be only one Hindsight Cry Fest.

Get your 2018 Hindsight Cry Fest tickets today!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Pens x is extreme which is a bummer because behind his hyperbole is a legitimate perspective. That perspective gets buried behind the responses to the hyperbole.

Reactions: EightyOne and Peat

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There isn't much left to say really. You all do an amazing job spinning anything in favor of Rutherford. Many of you are extremely knowledgeable. I just don't like how I'm portrayed as a villain because I believe management has done poorly this off season. No one cares that we won the cup last year, it's a new season.

Let's go Pens - we can all agree to that

Last edited:

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Pens x is extreme which is a bummer because behind his hyperbole is a legitimate perspective. That perspective gets buried behind the responses to the hyperbole.

I just really don't understand the need to "call out" everyone for not whining enough about how horrible JR is, when if everybody on this board DID have a massive summer-long whine-fest about how horrible JR is...

...it would not have changed a damned thing.

Not only is his whole "your silence is damning in its tacit approval" act is old, tired, and serves no purpose whatsoever, but it also puts words in people's mouths that they haven't said. Nobody here (presumably) has any control over how JR conducts business.

Should JR have said that he had "multiple deals" that he could make "at any time" when it's now obvious that likely he did not? No. But going into multiple rants about it and getting angry that the rest of the board isn't ranting too? That isn't productive in the least.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
There isn't much left to say really. You all do an amazing job spinning anything in favor of Rutherford. Many of you are extremely knowledgeable. I just don't like how I'm portrayed as a villain because I believe management has done poorly this off season. No one cares that we won the cup last year, it's a new season.

I care that they won and intend to enjoy the season.

There is a pretty significant difference between knowing that they can't go into the playoffs with the pivots they have now, and wanting it solved asap because some fans can't deal with adversity/uncertainty.

I have no idea what all the hand wringing is about. JR isn't exactly one to sit on his hands all season when there is an issue that needs fixed. He will bring in a solution on his own schedule, not yours.

Relax.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa

You wouldn't have this oppinion if you were here for the Despres trade.........

Look, everyone else wants to see the center issues resolved, too. People are just tired of your shtick. No matter what anyone points out to you, you seem to believe that JR can make any free agent sign here for whatever JR wants to pay him. You also post as if any other GM will accept whatever trade JR offers. You, me, and everybody else have zero idea what players were offered what, or which GM's were offered which players for theirs. On top of this, there weren't a slew of free agent possibilities to begin with.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

If the extremist wasn't an extremist they'd have a decent point? It's more like he's overshadowing and undermining a perspective with the hyperbolic posts and ignoring everything that gets said to him,

I care that they won and intend to enjoy the season.

There is a pretty significant difference between knowing that they can't go into the playoffs with the pivots they have now, and wanting it solved asap because some fans can't deal with adversity/uncertainty.

I have no idea what all the hand wringing is about. JR isn't exactly one to sit on his hands all season when there is an issue that needs fixed. He will bring in a solution on his own schedule, not yours.

Relax.

And I maintain that the bolded should be the area of concern. Just how much he'll pay for whatever it is he wants that fits his schedule. JR will get someone because he's not a GM who does nothing, it's just a matter of if the value is good.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The problem is whatever perspective he has gets lost due to his hyperbole. Making a strong argument actually involves making a coherent argument, not just some vague complaint wrapped up in layer after layer of exaggeration.

He's the equivalent of someone saying Fleury is one of the worst goalies ever and is the reason this team hasn't won 10 straight Stanley Cups. Is the underlying perspective that Fleury had some playoff meltdowns legitimate? Sure, but when you deliver it with the hyperbole of saying he's the worst ever and the club would have won 10 Cups in a row if he didn't choke, it's no longer a "legitimate perspective" because the rationale being used is idiotic.

That's not even touching on the fact that's ALL he talks about. There's a reason why you and pixie don't get the flak he does. You and pixie engage in discussion that doesn't necessarily touch on the 3C spot, yet I'd say 99% of his posts somehow mention the "crappy off-season because JR didn't fill 3C". It could be a discussion that doesn't even involve the 3C position, and he'd somehow come back around to it. The discussion could be about whether Hunwick should play with Maatta or Cole, and he'd include JR not re-signing Bonino or not trading for a 3C as part of his reply to that discussion.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

You've made this post about 100 times and then you make it about 48 hours before you starting whining again about how bad JR's summer has been. Really good try. Buuuuuut i'm not buying it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hey guys, just wondering how Reaves has looked so far?

No matter what, I hope to see him beat the crap out of Tom Wilson this year.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017

Thoroughly meh. I really haven't noticed him when watching him at all. He's not Craig Adams level bad, but I really haven't seen him do anything positive so far.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I'd prefer to see the 3C situation sorted out sooner than later. I'd also prefer to not get a crap 3C, so I'm putting up with it.

IMO he's a wasted roster spot and objectively he has looked like every bit of that so far. He'll surely look better with more playing time and when he's trying to actually crush guys, but that still won't help us score goals, prevent goals or win games.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
If it doesn't help us score goals, prevent goals, or win games, how does it look any better?

He won't look quite as far behind the play and will make some hits at least? I'm still anti-Reaves having a roster spot, but he can only look better than he has so far.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd love to watch Reaves destroy Wilson. It's still pre season and he might get suspended AGAIN! I'd give Reaves untill Jan to get better, he has to learn our system and get some Sullivan training to play hockey and go for the hit, rather then just the hit.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Like i said, i don't mind Reaves on the roster but i'd prefer he be battling for that #12 spot.

When Horny comes back, i'd run:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Rust-G-Phil/Sheary
Hags-McKegg-Sheary/Phil
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves/Kuhn/Archie

I wouldn't keep Reaves locked in @ #12.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
The fourth line isnt going to be like our fourth lines the past two years, so I guess Im fine with Reaves on it. But then again, maybe the fourth line isnt going to be like it was because hes on it. A real chicken-egg feeling here.

Also, people need to stop putting Horny with Sid. For whatever reason it doesnt seem to be a thing as much as I want it to.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Things will change when Horny gets back and it's betweem Reaves/Kuhn and not Reaves/Archie. Archie's probably waived unless theres other injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->