Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 3

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Looking to either purchase the CCM RBZ FT1 or the True A5.2 with the deals going on now. I had the CCM RBZ2 and the Super Tacks and loved them both but they both broke on me within a year of purchasing them and I never break sticks. True has me intrigued though. Any pros and cons between the two?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Looking to either purchase the CCM RBZ FT1 or the True A5.2 with the deals going on now. I had the CCM RBZ2 and the Super Tacks and loved them both but they both broke on me within a year of purchasing them and I never break sticks. True has me intrigued though. Any pros and cons between the two?

I own a RBZ Stage 2, and Ultra tacks and a True A6.0. If I was to compare the three, the biggest difference is the blade. I love the pingy-ness of the RBZ for passing. I love the stiffness of the Ultra tacks for shooting accuracy. The True BRT+ blade is my least favorite of the 3. Not really pingy, not really stiff (a little bit stiff), not really dampened, just kinda a blah with no real outstanding properties. Doesn't make it a bad blade, just if you really prefer a certain type of blade, the BRT+ is a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none sort of blade.

Reactions: AIREAYE and JaeTM

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
So looking into the RBZ FT1 more and watching a video they said it was just over 440 grams. That seems a bit on the heavier side for a top of the line stick, no?

Is the difference between 440 and 420 (which I normally see the elite sticks go for) that big of a difference?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So looking into the RBZ FT1 more and watching a video they said it was just over 440 grams. That seems a bit on the heavier side for a top of the line stick, no?

Is the difference between 440 and 420 (which I normally see the elite sticks go for) that big of a difference?

Generally speaking....no. For anything below 480 grams...balance is key. As long as the stick is well balanced, after one or two skates with the stick, you can't tell the difference.

I go between 470 and 420 with the sticks I buy. The weight is completely negligible. All about the balance. Especially after it is taped.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Maybe I'm old school but I only ever use the 5030 Coffey curve.

My wrist shot with that stick could probably kill someone

You are old school, but you aren't wrong, either.

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
Any thoughts on the Sher-wood EK15? My local store currently has the Vintage (wooden stick graphics) EK15 on sale in my area. The graphics look pretty sick. Just wondering how the stick is. I've heard that Sher-wood hasn't really kept up with it's competitors in terms of stick technology.

Also similar question but any thoughts on the Warrior Dynasty HD1? It's on sale as well.

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
The EK 15 is amazingly light, it's not particularily amazing at anything, but very good at alot of things.

KingNothing4

Sep 10, 2009
Basement of Staples
I'm looking for opinions on a mid-tier stick that works well for slap shots and is durable. I play D and have a decent slap shot, so I'd like to look for a stick more geared toward slap shots. I've always just bought what I think is a decent stick on sale/clearance/old stock on Hockey Monkey. I don't tend stick handle a whole lot, I use wrist shot and backhand fairly often. What sticks should I be looking at? I'd prefer to stay in the $150 range if possible, but I don't even know if that's the right range or not.

ETA: I never really looked too much into flex, curve, lie and such, so is there any better for slap shots? I usually went with a...less aggressive curve to keep the puck knee high, and a mid flex like 85. From what I've read, at 6' 200lbs, 85 flex should be about right?

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm looking for opinions on a mid-tier stick that works well for slap shots and is durable. I play D and have a decent slap shot, so I'd like to look for a stick more geared toward slap shots. I've always just bought what I think is a decent stick on sale/clearance/old stock on Hockey Monkey. I don't tend stick handle a whole lot, I use wrist shot and backhand fairly often. What sticks should I be looking at? I'd prefer to stay in the $150 range if possible, but I don't even know if that's the right range or not.

ETA: I never really looked too much into flex, curve, lie and such, so is there any better for slap shots? I usually went with a...less aggressive curve to keep the puck knee high, and a mid flex like 85. From what I've read, at 6' 200lbs, 85 flex should be about right?
Thanks for providing and knowing exactly what you're looking for in a stick; it makes reccs much easier!

I would first start to look at a stick's kickpoint. For slapshots, you should target a stick family that features a mid-kick (i.e. CCM Tacks, Bauer Nexus etc.). Please check out the Guide in the first page of this thread for more details!

Regarding pricepoint, that's a perfect price range where you will be able to find prior years' top end stick models on sale, as well as current upper-mid end models provided you can't find what you're looking for on sale.

Regarding flex, curve and lie, unfortunately that's a bit tougher to pinpoint. It really is personal preference for people. 85 flex sounds about right, and if it worked for you before with good slappers, why change that aspect? Maybe at some point you could experiment with 95-100 flex to see if that works better. For curve, what have you used previously and did you like it? Regarding lie, that ties in with stick length and curve. Do you have a preference for length? Please also consult the guide for more details.

With that said I've pulled a few sticks you may like. I think the CCM Super Tacks 2.0 should fit you, but consider the others too.

CCM Super Tacks 2.0: CCM Super Tacks 2.0 Grip Composite Hockey Stick - Senior | Pure Hockey Equipment

The Super Tacks 2.0 was a previous year's top end Tacks model and emphasizes their mid-kickpoint to optimize slappers. The CCM sticks are generally more durable. I suggest the 85 flex and P30 curve, which should be the mid-curve you said you prefer.

CCM Tacks 7092: CCM Tacks 7092 Grip Composite Hockey Stick - Senior | Pure Hockey Equipment

This is the model one below the top end Super Tacks 2.0, so still a high end performance stick. This model is a bit heavier than the top end but that comes with the benefit of slightly more durability in the shaft. Same recommendations at a lower price point.

Warrior Dynasty HD1: Warrior Dynasty HD1 Grip Senior Hockey Stick Senior Clearance Hockey Sticks Clearance Hockey Sticks Clearance Outlet

A top end model from a few years ago, this is also a mid-kick stick at a very good price! Look for the W88 curve.

Overall I would suggest the sticks listed in order from top to bottom, though I can't imagine you'd go wrong with #2 or #3!

KingNothing4

Sep 10, 2009
Basement of Staples
Thank you for the extensive reply! I'm pretty dumb for not looking at the first page, didn't realize it has been updated and is current... Unfortunately I'm RH so looks like almost all 3 of the sticks you mentioned are only available for LH. I did find the CCM ST2.0, but with a 95 flex, so I might just try that. I didn't know about the mid kick point for slap shots. I've heard of kick points and such, just never really looked into how it effects the stick's use. I'm going to look around at some more mid-kick sticks. Also, after looking a little more into lie, I believe all mine are 5's and the heel tape wears out, so it sounds like I should try a 4 if I was reading that other thing right. I feel like I have a bit of a better idea of what I need to look for now, thanks again!

ETA: Found a Pro Stock CCM ST2.0 in 85 flex for $170. Might work, I'm just having a hard time Googling the 91 and 92 blade pattern for CCM. Don't really know much about Pro Stock sticks either. Also, for a new Bauer Supreme 2S that claims it's it's a mid kick and good for slap shots, are these any good? Right at $150.

CCM Super Tacks 20 Pro Stock Hockey Stick Pro Stock Sticks Composite Hockey Sticks Sticks Shafts amp Blades Equipment

Bauer Supreme 2S Team Grip Senior Hockey Stick Senior Composite Hockey Sticks Composite Hockey Sticks Sticks Shafts amp Blades Equipment

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
The thing about pro stock sticks though, is you never really know what you're getting. Even though a pro stock stick may look like a particular model on the outside, that particular player may have had his/her own modifications on the specs made to it to customize it. For example, even though it may look like a Super Tacks 2.0 on the outside, it may be constructed to have a low kick, a thicker shaft, a smaller blade etc.

HM doesn't do a good job summarizing the various curves, but if I were to guess, the P92 may refer to Bauer's P92, which is a more aggressive mid-toe curve, and the P91 would be a heel wedge-like curve. Neither curve seems to be what you're looking for. Prostockhockey.com specializes in pro stock gear, and would have better descriptors for their products, maybe give that a peruse? Also, pro stock sticks offer no warranty (standard retail is 30 days from purchase day).

Personally, I had a Bauer Supreme MX3, which was the top end Supreme a couple generations before the 2S. It was the first year Bauer switched the kickpoint of their Supreme stick family from mid to mid-high and to be honest, coming from the Supreme One95 (one of Bauer's best sticks ever made imo) which I loved for slap shots, I simply couldn't get used to the newer mid-high kickpoint. However, I have no idea how the 1S or 2S sticks have been doing, so I would try to search for reviews for the 1S, 2S, 190, and S190. The 2S Team is not the top end model, but, like the 7092, the more durable but heavier one-below model. Good value!

KingNothing4

Sep 10, 2009
Basement of Staples
Interesting, I will skip the Pro Stock stuff then, I don't want to even try that. Can't seem to find a RH CCM 7092 anywhere. I've found some just over $100, but all LH. Really wish I could find one at that price, seems like a good stick. Might just end up trying that 2S Team stick and hope it's decent... Thank you for your help.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Maybe I'm old school but I only ever use the 5030 Coffey curve.

My wrist shot with that stick could probably kill someone

Barstool Sports

I grew up on the 5030 in P77.
I also recommend trying the Sher-wood PMPX 9950. So much fun playing with that twig. I can really step into clappers with it.
Nowadays joined the composite crew rocking P14, PP28, or the trusty P77.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Just purchased Warrior Alpha QX for $120, 75 flex. Never tried a stick w/ that flex (usually do 85. I'm 5'11, 180 lbs), but I've been wanting to cut my sticks down an inch or so for better stick handling. Hockeymonkey just had it for $110 on their daily deal so it was too hard to pass up for that price. Hope I like it lol.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Just purchased Warrior Alpha QX for $120, 75 flex. Never tried a stick w/ that flex (usually do 85. I'm 5'11, 180 lbs), but I've been wanting to cut my sticks down an inch or so for better stick handling. Hockeymonkey just had it for $110 on their daily deal so it was too hard to pass up for that price. Hope I like it lol.

Was it the QX top of the line one? I just bought the QX Pro off eBay for $120, I thought it was the top one, Qx. I didn’t realize there was a QX Pro. It turns out it’s a little heavier, 460 grams. So that’s kind of a bummer.

I’m coming off a CCM Super Tacks 2.0. So I hope the extra weight isn’t a problem.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
Was it the QX top of the line one? I just bought the QX Pro off eBay for $120, I thought it was the top one, Qx. I didn’t realize there was a QX Pro. It turns out it’s a little heavier, 460 grams. So that’s kind of a bummer.

I’m coming off a CCM Super Tacks 2.0. So I hope the extra weight isn’t a problem.

Yup same thing happened to me. Didn't realize and was super excited. Oh well.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Has anyone tried the Sher-Wood Rekker EK365? I’m debating between that and a Warrior Covert QRL.

The Sher-Wood is crazy light though at 380 grams I believe. I’m wondering if it’s a solid higher end stick at a decent price.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Has anyone tried the Sher-Wood Rekker EK365? I’m debating between that and a Warrior Covert QRL.

The Sher-Wood is crazy light though at 380 grams I believe. I’m wondering if it’s a solid higher end stick at a decent price.

I have not, but, I believe the QRL is one of the best sticks ever made. It is also surprisingly durable for a light, top of the line stick. I used to jump all over the place when it came to buying sticks, as I play a ton of hockey, and break way more sticks than I would like to. In the last five years, I have probably used a non-Warrior stick 10-12 times total. There's a reason their stick share in the NHL is through the roof right now. They have absolutely nailed it with their last 3-4 generations of sticks. IMO, go with Warrior. You won't be disappointed. ESPECIALLY with the QRL.

Last edited:

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Anyone have experience with Fishcer ice hockey sticks? The owner at a local rink was telling me how great they are at a cheap price. Know nothing about them but am curious.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone have experience with Fishcer ice hockey sticks? The owner at a local rink was telling me how great they are at a cheap price. Know nothing about them but am curious.

Might be tough to get feedback on Fischer sticks but Ice Warehouse has some review videos and there are comments on the Youtube page for each video that might give you some feedback that way.

Fischer Composite Hockey Sticks - Ice Warehouse

Reactions: lilphildub
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
So Easton is no longer around, but do some manufacturers just take some old stick models and reproduce them with different logo/lettering?

I wish I was able to get a picture a stick one of the players was using at my game last night. It looked like the Easton Synergy ST (2010 model), but the manufacture logo looked like a blend of True/CCM lettering. The ST model was one of my favorite sticks back in the day

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
Broke my trusty Vapor APX2 stick last night - had it for about 5 years and loved everything about it. I suppose I'll jump up to a 1X Lite now that the 2X's are about to come out. The 1X Lite still show about $224 on "clearance". Will that drop even more when 2X sticks finally become available and any idea when they will be?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Just got back into hockey after a 12 year layoff,it's a relic's league (50+). I'm looking for a composite stick with the least curve. Everything seems to be much more extreme than what I'm used to. It's a no slapshot league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad