Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 3

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I just bought a True 6.0 Marner Curve 85 Flex Lie 6. I got an extension put into it. I use it for one game of pick up shinny and notice after the game there is a sound as if a pebble is inside the stick. Its an awesome stick but the pebble like sound is very annoying. Any thoughts or concerns, comments? Thanks boys!

It's probably just a piece of leftover resin that shook loose. Nothing to worry about. If you take out the end plug, you can probably shake it out.

I had the same thing happen to me with a A-series 5.2 after just two games. @puckpilot is dead on, just a loose piece of resin from the manufacturing process.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
If he's using a graphite blade, he won't be able to customize the end piece to remove the excess width to make it fit. So his option then is to cut the shaft up to where the tapered portion begins. Which on my A.6.0 is roughly about where the "T" is. Well my stick is 57 inches and cutting is off at that point I'm left with roughly half a stick. What good is a 40 inch stick?

I'm really short (5'4), and I feel like I have more control with a shorter stick when it comes to floor hockey. I've tried using sticks that go at the 'typical' length (below nose/chin) and I don't have much success with it.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Seems like a common issue with TRUE sticks, I've heard of multiple people telling me this.

I don't think it's exclusive to any single manufacturer. I've seen this pop up in other brands too.

I'm really short (5'4), and I feel like I have more control with a shorter stick when it comes to floor hockey. I've tried using sticks that go at the 'typical' length (below nose/chin) and I don't have much success with it.

I'm 5'5 and cut to the sternum is where it's at, Daddy-O.

They may laugh an snort when they go short. :p Ok I'll stop now.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Sorry if I got your hopes up, but I just went and checked, and the places I usually go are now out of stock. I could have sworn they had some around Christmas time, but any way. These are the only places I could find that had any Grafs left.

Pro hockey life is the only place I have ordered from and can vouch for, but they don't have the G45, just the G95. I don't have any experience with API hockey other than browsing their site a few times in the past.

GRAF G95 REVOLT GRIP INT HOCKEY STICK

Graf G45 Revolt Hockey Stick - Intermediate
Thanks for the links. I've only ever ordered online from HockeyMonkey and Total/Pure Hockey, so most other sites look a tad shady to me. Might be time to give it a shot, though :D

puckpilot said:
From my limited experience, they'll flex similar but not exactly the same. As you go from top to bottom price points, the stick tends to get a bit softer in feel. For the most part my experience in this is limited to the Warrior QRL line and the CCM Ribcor line. Those are the only sticks I have in multiple price points.
Also good to know. I've always wondered about what was really different between all the sticks in a product line. I feel like I'm not good enough to really notice the difference on the ice, and since all sticks are going to break one day, I feel a lot better spending $50 on clearance than $300 for what is, to me, the same thing :)

And I mean, my latest Warrior stick (one of the too-floppy ones) is noticeably lighter than my Graf until I'm on the ice, but it's not enough to even enter into my mind when I'm skating around; I mean it's not like one is five pounds and the other is a couple ounces or something :D

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I'm only 5'8, and until the past couple years, used an abnormally shorter stick for ice hockey so see where you coming from.

But looking at my True 6.0, if I cut the stick right above where the taper starts (to my eye anyways) you'd be left with a stick that would roughly be the height of a those sticks you see 5-6 year olds using, so even at 5'4 and a preference for a shorter stick, I think it would be unusable for you.

As the kick-point isn't much of a concern if your using it for ball hockey, I'd just put the blade in the butt end and away you go, you'd still have a pretty awesome stick for ball hockey.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I feel a lot better spending $50 on clearance than $300 for what is, to me, the same thing :)

There's a difference but at the same time there isn't one. What I mean by that is it's all about how the individual feels about their stick. If they find the stick comfortable and it allows them to do what they need to do in a game then it doesn't mater how much it costs. A $300 stick that doesn't feel good to you might as well be garbage. Any stick that feels just right to you is gold.

Reactions: Fremitus Borealis

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
You're absolutely right, thanks!

No problem.

Also a couple more additions.

The top end stick for 2018 for the Bauer Nexus line is called the 2N Pro as the 2N is 1 level lower. Likewise the supreme for 2018 is the 2S pro.

TRUE released their Gen II A6.0 SBP (mid kick) in 2018. They also released the A6.0 HT (low kick) in 2018 as well.

Sher-wood released their Project 9 (mid kick) in 2018.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
No problem.

Also a couple more additions.

The top end stick for 2018 for the Bauer Nexus line is called the 2N Pro as the 2N is 1 level lower. Likewise the supreme for 2018 is the 2S pro.

TRUE released their Gen II A6.0 SBP (mid kick) in 2018. They also released the A6.0 HT (low kick) in 2018 as well.

Sher-wood released their Project 9 (mid kick) in 2018.
I haven't updated for the second half of 2018 yet, so I'll get that done soon, and put up 2019s stuff as well.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Guys i stopped playing hockey like 5 years ago because of a gym injury, still can't do much but went and tried to go play inside rink f***ing around with only stick, skates, gloves, helmet. I was always a stick whore and a sucker for toe curve. My favorite curve is by far the Crazy Ovi, i still have an intact stick, but due to the injury i've lost almost 30lbs and wanted to buy a lower flex stick. i used to use a 85flex cut, im fairly small at 5'9 and even back when i was 180lbs i was considering dropping flex, i wanna buy a 70-75 he'll even considering a 65 to try. Pretty sure the Crazy Ovi is discontinued and was wondering how different is the Crazy Ovi to the P28/W28/E28? also seen some W71 etc, or else is there a pattern out there exacly like the crazy ovi?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Hmm... one of the local shops has a "Miken Accuflex 2.0" in like my exact length and flex, which is something I've never seen before (I always have to cut them down at least a little). I almost pulled the trigger just out of sheer surprise, but didn't because I'd never heard of the stick (or brand) before. And now that I'm home, the interwebs aren't really telling me much, either.

Any input?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Miken was a baseball gear company that ventured unsuccessfully into hockey in the early 2010s. Modsquad has some reviews from members from back then; that's probably your best bet. Overall, nothing special.

Reactions: Fremitus Borealis

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Well....in my entire hockey career I have broken two sticks TOTAL in game - last night I doubled that amount by breaking two sticks in the same game. Needless to say I need a new stick. Any suggestions for something that won't break the bank but is still pretty solid? I have a Warrior QRL Pro right now as my backup, the two sticks I broke were CCM Supertacks 2.0 and Sherwood T120 - I will likely stay away from Sherwood as the stick lasted me about 45 days before breaking.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well....in my entire hockey career I have broken two sticks TOTAL in game - last night I doubled that amount by breaking two sticks in the same game. Needless to say I need a new stick. Any suggestions for something that won't break the bank but is still pretty solid? I have a Warrior QRL Pro right now as my backup, the two sticks I broke were CCM Supertacks 2.0 and Sherwood T120 - I will likely stay away from Sherwood as the stick lasted me about 45 days before breaking.

Strictly from a value stand-point, and ignoring clearance deals from previous years models and pro stocks, the 2019 True A-series 4.5 and 5.2 are about as good as it gets value-wise.

Reactions: thedonger

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Strictly from a value stand-point, and ignoring clearance deals from previous years models and pro stocks, the 2019 True A-series 4.5 and 5.2 are about as good as it gets value-wise.
I have been intrigued by True sticks but haven't pulled the trigger on one up until this point - I'm thinking I will go with Bauer, Warrior or True, but will keep an eye out for those specific ones.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I have been intrigued by True sticks but haven't pulled the trigger on one up until this point - I'm thinking I will go with Bauer, Warrior or True, but will keep an eye out for those specific ones.

I'm more of a CCM guy, but the True sticks are solid. I see guys all over rec hockey in my area rocking the Aseries 4.5 as the have a lot of the features of the top of the line A series 6.0 at half the price.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Agree with the above suggestions. Over the past few years, manufacturers have really upped the value of their sticks one-tier below the top end. This is your QRL/QX Pros, CCM Jetspeed Pro, Tacks, or Bauer Supreme "Team" sticks. This tier is intended for performance athletes/teams buying sticks in bulk that need the performance and affordability while also being durable. Think your Jr B, poorer Jr A squads. These sticks typically retail between $140-$180.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I used to break 2 Ribcor sticks per season, usually Pro or Trigger but i went with much cheaper 64k this time and it's still my only stick since September.

Yeah it's slightly heavier but i only noticed it in the shop when i was actively thinking about it.

More material - weight makes it more durable?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I used to break 2 Ribcor sticks per season, usually Pro or Trigger but i went with much cheaper 64k this time and it's still my only stick since September.

Yeah it's slightly heavier but i only noticed it in the shop when i was actively thinking about it.

My understanding is the lower the price-point the stick in a particular line, the more fibre-glass it has in proportion to the lighter but more brittle graphite. The higher proportion of fibre-glass adds the additional weight, and the fibre-glass is more durable.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
My understanding is the lower the price-point the stick in a particular line, the more fibre-glass it has in proportion to the lighter but more brittle graphite. The higher proportion of fibre-glass adds the additional weight, and the fibre-glass is more durable.
Correct

Reactions: BruinDust

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

I'm looking for something similar to the Trigger2. How does the 64K shoot compared to it? I have always splayed with light sticks, so I would like to keep the weight down, but open to options if there are big cost savings.

Is there anything else that has a similar kick point?

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I'm looking for something similar to the Trigger2. How does the 64K shoot compared to it? I have always splayed with light sticks, so I would like to keep the weight down, but open to options if there are big cost savings.

I didn't notice any difference, it works just as good.

55 grams heavier than Trigger.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

The Trigger line of sticks features a low kickpoint. Other families that have a low kickpoint are Bauer Vapor and Warrior Covert. I highly highly recommend the Warrior Covert line, the QRL was the previous generation (QRE is current) and should be on clearance everywhere. I have 2 of them as my mains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad