Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 3

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Bauer officially releases Nexus ADV, or the stick with a hole in the blade we’ve seen some NHLers using. I’ve seen Jake DeBrusk, Pierre Luc dubois and William Nylander use it.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Any advice on getting a stick for floor hockey. We play in a school gym. I use this stick: CCM Street Hockey Stick but I feel like with the wooden shaft it's too heavy to stick handle well.

Unfortunately composite and wooden blades are not allowed. Also no slapshots, so my options seem pretty limited when going to Sportchek/Canadian Tire.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Some advice needed on sticks. I am not a big guy -- 5'8" / 165lbs -- but I have been breaking sticks with regularity. The cracks start either at the heel or the hossel after just 3-4 hours of use. I've tried Bauer and CCM sticks. I use an 85 flex, which I need cut down a few inches so effective flex is 95. I've had 3 sticks break in 2020 alone.

Am I using too stiff of a stick?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Some advice needed on sticks. I am not a big guy -- 5'8" / 165lbs -- but I have been breaking sticks with regularity. The cracks start either at the heel or the hossel after just 3-4 hours of use. I've tried Bauer and CCM sticks. I use an 85 flex, which I need cut down a few inches so effective flex is 95. I've had 3 sticks break in 2020 alone.

From your size, my opinion is, yes you're using too stiff a stick. BUT, I'm not so sure it's the reason your sticks are breaking. Though, if you're slamming the heel of your stick down like a hammer in an attempt to flex your stick when you shoot, because you can't flex it any other way, that could explain why cracks start at the heel.

For reference, Gaudreau is 5'9 165lbs and uses a 55 flex in the NHL. Ovi uses an 85 flex and Matthews uses an 80 flex, both are 6'3 and 235lb and 223lbs respectively. You're 7 inches shorter and at least 58lbs lighter, not just in mass but probably in muscle, and using an 85 flex.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
From your size, my opinion is, yes you're using too stiff a stick. BUT, I'm not so sure it's the reason your sticks are breaking. Though, if you're slamming the heel of your stick down like a hammer in an attempt to flex your stick when you shoot, because you can't flex it any other way, that could explain why cracks start at the heel.

For reference, Gaudreau is 5'9 165lbs and uses a 55 flex in the NHL. Ovi uses an 85 flex and Matthews uses an 80 flex, both are 6'3 and 235lb and 223lbs respectively. You're 7 inches shorter and at least 58lbs lighter, not just in mass but probably in muscle, and using an 85 flex.

thanks! I’ll try a 75

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Funny. I’m old school and still use the PMP Sherwood woody. I’ve tried the high tech sticks and always go back to my Sherwood. That and they are 40 bucks

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sportchek has their buy one, get one half price sale on sticks starting today if anyone is interested. Just picked up a couple Trigger 2's @ a 65% discount from their regular retail price as they were already marked down.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
How noticeable is a change in kick point? I understand the concept but I'm just wondering if it's been like "night and day" for anyone who's messed around with different kick points.

I use a Vapor 2X team right now, and from my understanding is a low kick point. But I was thinking of switching to a Nexus for the mid kick point. I'm NOT one of those guys who has a blazing snap shot and typically play defense but jump in the rush quite a bit.

Anyone? Thanks.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
How noticeable is a change in kick point? I understand the concept but I'm just wondering if it's been like "night and day" for anyone who's messed around with different kick points.

I use a Vapor 2X team right now, and from my understanding is a low kick point. But I was thinking of switching to a Nexus for the mid kick point. I'm NOT one of those guys who has a blazing snap shot and typically play defense but jump in the rush quite a bit.

Anyone? Thanks.

I'm not sure I'd say it's 'night and day' but I definitely notice a difference. Trying to load up on a big slapper with a low-kick stick feels weird to me. In the NHL you'll see most defenseman who are Bauer guys use Supreme or Nexus because of the higher kick which lets them load the shaft more for more powerful and consistent slap shots. Don't see a lot dman using Vapor or low kick sticks.

I usually op for low-mid kick because I take a lot of snap shots and loaded wristers, not many slappers. I also like the puck feel on lower kick sticks, I feel like you feel the puck more, sometimes hard passes are harder to catch because it flexes the stick though.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I'm not sure I'd say it's 'night and day' but I definitely notice a difference. Trying to load up on a big slapper with a low-kick stick feels weird to me. In the NHL you'll see most defenseman who are Bauer guys use Supreme or Nexus because of the higher kick which lets them load the shaft more for more powerful and consistent slap shots. Don't see a lot dman using Vapor or low kick sticks.

I usually op for low-mid kick because I take a lot of snap shots and loaded wristers, not many slappers. I also like the puck feel on lower kick sticks, I feel like you feel the puck more, sometimes hard passes are harder to catch because it flexes the stick though.

Thanks!

I'll try and find a cheap mid range Nexus.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Found a Team Nexus stick for $110. It feels comparable to the Vapor 2x team, weight wise.

I’m anxious to try out the mid kick instead and maybe cut the stick so it’s a tad longer than my others.

Out of curiosity, where do you guys cut your sticks? I’ve experimented with a wide range of lengths. Right now I’m using a shorter stick than I normally do. Probably somewhere between my chin and mouth. My puck handling and passing are much better but shot is absolute crap.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I generally prefer a bit of a longer stick (near my
Nose with skates on) with a higher lie angle (so the blade still sits flush against the ice/tile despite longer length).

I like being able to control the puck further away from my body and having the extra reach

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Out of curiosity, where do you guys cut your sticks? I’ve experimented with a wide range of lengths. Right now I’m using a shorter stick than I normally do. Probably somewhere between my chin and mouth. My puck handling and passing are much better but shot is absolute crap.

Between chin and collarbone.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Found a Team Nexus stick for $110. It feels comparable to the Vapor 2x team, weight wise.

I’m anxious to try out the mid kick instead and maybe cut the stick so it’s a tad longer than my others.

below my chin on feet and collarbone on skates. pretty short

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Went my to my LHS today to try and pickup an Alpha DX3 because I heard it's a really solid stick for the price point...manager there said he didn't have any but got me to buy the Alpha Force pro, which I never even heard of for $100.00.

felt pretty light, reading up on it now though, think i might regret it.

Warrior does some weird and backward things...such as the Alpha DX Pro being a lower model than the Alpha DX, which is totally backward from other manufacturers.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

I'm an inch taller and 15lbs heavier and I use Ribcor trigger 3D 65 flex. You will likely have a better shot with a lower flex.

If you are worried about breaking them, I have a 65 flex Trigger 2 thats 4 years old and is in perfect shape. I'm a center that takes most of my teams draws and drive the net and corners often. I had a bad run prior to the Ribcors, constantly hollowing out toes and cracking heals.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Sportchek has their buy one, get one half price sale on sticks starting today if anyone is interested. Just picked up a couple Trigger 2's @ a 65% discount from their regular retail price as they were already marked down.

Trigger 2 PMT is what got me hooked on the Ribcor lineup, such a good stick.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad