Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 3

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Just got back into hockey after a 12 year layoff,it's a relic's league (50+). I'm looking for a composite stick with the least curve. Everything seems to be much more extreme than what I'm used to. It's a no slapshot league.
Maybe look for a PM9(Bauer) or equivalent

Reactions: BNHL

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Does anyone know anything about the Alpha QXT Pro sticks that ProStock Hockey is selling? I can't easily find information about it online. (Right - Alpha QXT Pro Team 70 Flex Intermediate Stick - W01)

I'd love to know how much it weighs, since weight is a big factor for me.

Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation for a bargain on an intermediate right handed stick around 70 flex with a PM9 equivalent curve? I just broke a QRL Pro, which I mostly liked.

Thanks.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Question for anyone who knows alot about sticks.

I'm currently using a Warrior Alpha QX Pro with an 85 flex that was cut down 3 inches, so I assume its now about ~100 flex. I'd like to get some more power on my shots and don't feel like I'm utilizing the flex enough.

I was thinking of getting a Vapor 2X Team Grip with a 77 flex. I would not need to cut as it comes in 60 inch length.

Will this be to whippy? I don't have any shops locally so I can't test it out.

Thanks.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Will this be to whippy? I don't have any shops locally so I can't test it out.

Thanks.

Whether it's too whippy or not depends on how strong you are, your mechanics, and what your preference is.

I can say this. At 85 flex you're using a heavier flex than Matthews. He uses an 80. From what I've heard in videos, the trend in the NHL is for flexes 85 and below. The lightest flex stick I've heard an NHL player use is a 55 flex used by Gaudreau.

So, comparatively speaking, a 77 flex isn't all that whippy, especially for a no-pro athlete.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Whether it's too whippy or not depends on how strong you are, your mechanics, and what your preference is.

I can say this. At 85 flex you're using a heavier flex than Matthews. He uses an 80. From what I've heard in videos, the trend in the NHL is for flexes 85 and below. The lightest flex stick I've heard an NHL player use is a 55 flex used by Gaudreau.

So, comparatively speaking, a 77 flex isn't all that whippy, especially for a no-pro athlete.

I use a 65 flex and it has made my shot harder with less efffort. The bighest thing is how fast the puck comes off the blade. It took some getting use to, but once you get it, its amazing.

In the past Ive gone from 100, to 95, to 85, to 75; I could flex all of them, it was just a matter of effort. Each time I went down in flex my goals went up. Most people like the ego trip of, "I use a 100 flex", even if it hurts their game. Personally id rather score goals.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I use a 65 flex and it has made my shot harder with less efffort. The bighest thing is how fast the puck comes off the blade. It took some getting use to, but once you get it, its amazing.

In the past Ive gone from 100, to 95, to 85, to 75; I could flex all of them, it was just a matter of effort. Each time I went down in flex my goals went up. Most people like the ego trip of, "I use a 100 flex", even if it hurts their game. Personally id rather score goals.

Your story is quite similar to mine, except, I'm kind of small, so I kept going down. I'm actually using a 50 flex junior now. And I actually keep a 40flex stick I use to practice my slapshots with. It's like loading a slingshot, and even with such a low flex, my shots on average clock faster on the radar.

The only thing that's stopping me from actually using such a low flex is I'm a center and 50 is as low as I can go before it's impossible to battle for it in the dot.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I was 5'10" 150lbs and not all that strong but I had been using an Intermediate 65 flex stick many years ago. It broke eventually at the flex point just taking wristers and the usual game stick-checking stuff. Not sure I'd go that low again.

I recently bought an All-Black-Hockey-Stick and they come in 71 flex for Senior to start. They're not top tier but pretty good for the price. Senior - All Black Hockey Sticks

Last edited:

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
I'm about 5'7 to 5'8, 150 pounds (without equipment). I use 65-70 flex sticks. It's cut down so the actual flex is probably a little higher then 65-70, but so far it's been pretty good. Haven't broken any sticks due to flex so far. Mainly just blocked shots/slashes that caused breakage.

But yeah there does seem to be a common misconception among newer hockey players that intermediate sticks are meant only for teenagers.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
some adults use intermediate sticks to get that balance of smaller flex with a shorter stick, those are usually novice players though. the slimmer shaft is a downside though.

Warrior makes senior sticks in 65 flex.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Just a quick update:

I got the Bauer Vapor 2X Team stick (mid range stick) in a 77 flex and tried it last night....I was blown away.

Everything felt effortless. My passes and shots were strong and accurate. I absolutely love the V taper, it makes the stick feel less bulky for me.

After the game, I was like "I guess I've been using the wrong kind of stick for 15+ years" lol.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Just a quick update:

I got the Bauer Vapor 2X Team stick (mid range stick) in a 77 flex and tried it last night....I was blown away.

Everything felt effortless. My passes and shots were strong and accurate. I absolutely love the V taper, it makes the stick feel less bulky for me.

After the game, I was like "I guess I've been using the wrong kind of stick for 15+ years" lol.

Came here to ask this anyway, so your post was a good introduction: What’s the difference between the “regular” sticks and the “team” version? The design is usually a tiny bit different (e.g. the 2X Pro has yellow accents, the Team does not), but what are the differences when it comes to actual stick technology, weight, etc.? Does anybody know?

I’ve also noticed that they look or are named differently depending on stores. So sometimes the Flylite appears to have yellow accents, sometimes the one with yellow accents is labelled 2X Pro, though I’m guessing that’s due to shops’ errors. But in general, what’s the difference between the “team” version and the most expensive retail one?

Last edited:

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I thought at least one brand (Bauer?) had intermediate sticks with senior girth?

I use Bauer intermediate sticks, 60-67 flex. As far as I know the girth is as per senior sticks. I am 5’11” and 11 stone 7 pounds. The uncut length suits me well.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Getting a new stick soon (broke one last year and my only one feels a bit cracked on the blade).

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a ~6’0”, 185-pound 17-year-old? I take almost exclusively snapshots, and do a lot of battling and protecting the puck rather than dangling.

For the record I see this as in investment, in a way. I’m buying one stick, probably a high-end one and keeping it until it breaks. Currently I have a 1X Lite (P88, 87 flex) and previously have had an XCore9 and a 1S. I’ve liked all three for different reasons.

The XCore9 was probably my favourite- the puck control you have with that thing is ridiculous. The 1X Lite, obviously is a bit quicker, but I also found it had the downside of being a bit easier for defenders to knock away. I probably won’t get a FlyLite. The 2S- I dunno, I seemed to score when I used it. Could’ve been a coincidence, but I felt like I finished plays better. I’d probably want something more similar to the True though- maybe even go back to the XCore9.

I’ve seen some ads, from True and Warrior especially, about new sticks coming out soon that I would definitely look into- curious if anyone knows anything about these and of course, if anyone has any suggestions.

EDIT: Btw I’ve been looking at the Alpha QX and Dynasty HD1 Warrior sticks and of course, the XC9 ACF/XCore. But I’m open to ideas.

Captain Charisma

Jan 18, 2019
Managed to find the ever-elusive Easton Stealth CX at my LHS. Can't wait to try it out on the ice.

Just picking it up, it feels a little bit blade heavy. Anyone else have any experience with the Stealth CX and what are your thoughts?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So, I now have to ask this question. Why would anyone use a non-Warrior stick? Seriously. Best release. Best pop. Best puck feel. Best durability... And cheaper, to boot. Those $100 QRL Pro's from prostockhockey? Absolute STEALS.

Warrior has blown every other stick manufacturer out of the water. And I say this as a guy who has no budget for his sticks, and gets a lot of sticks for free/dirt cheap.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
So, I now have to ask this question. Why would anyone use a non-Warrior stick? Seriously. Best release. Best pop. Best puck feel. Best durability... And cheaper, to boot. Those $100 QRL Pro's from prostockhockey? Absolute STEALS.

Warrior has blown every other stick manufacturer out of the water. And I say this as a guy who has no budget for his sticks, and gets a lot of sticks for free/dirt cheap.

I use a Bauer Supreme 1S, never had any problems with it.

Last time I owned a warrior, (2 Warrior Widows), the blade snapped right off, almost in the same place. I understand it was years ago when that stick was released but I'm skeptical.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
some adults use intermediate sticks to get that balance of smaller flex with a shorter stick, those are usually novice players though. the slimmer shaft is a downside though.

Warrior makes senior sticks in 65 flex.

Anyone have one of the Warrior 65 flex seniors? Thinking about getting one, but I'm wondering just how different it is than their 70 flex.

Additionally, anyone try the QRE SL?

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I recently got a Bauer Vapor 2X Team in Intermediate, 65 Flex. It was awkward as hell in warmups but got used to it and ended up scoring 3 goals lol. For me that’s a lot since I never score.

Wrist and snap shots were much faster, slap shot was trash so I’ll need to play with it a bit.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Where do y’all buy longer sticks. My son wants a longer stick but I can’t find anything longer than a 61 or 62.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Where do y’all buy longer sticks. My son wants a longer stick but I can’t find anything longer than a 61 or 62.
I just ordered a Vapour Fly Lite with a 4 inch extension online.. I believe it's 64. I could be wrong but I think for the most part you have to get them custom. The downside is they apparently take 30-35 days to be shipped.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I was able to get him a pro stock from the Stars and put the composite extension on it. Should work great. It was a little longer than the stock sticks Pure Hockey has here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad