Speculation: Stevie Y coming home???

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Figured he'd never leave Tampa. Play out his contract with TBL, hop on board as an assistant here next season and when Holland goes to Seattle he takes over. Or at least that's the hope.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

giphy.gif

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
His contract here would be GM....not assistant.

Holland would go to advisor or E-VP...or something.

Unbelievable.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Stevie see's the young talent coming.... Larkin, Mantha, Bert, Zadina, Cholo, Hronek, Mciisac, Berggren. Top pick this year. Not a bad opportunity to come to next season with a potential boatload of cap space.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
This would be pretty spectacular having Yzerman possibly take over a team that could have a top 5-10 pick next year, just came off an excellent draft this year, have a possible future new captain in Larkin, etc.. Set's up nice for the Wings and Yzerman.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Stevie see's the young talent coming.... Larkin, Mantha, Bert, Zadina, Cholo, Hronek, Mciisac, Berggren. Top pick this year. Not a bad opportunity to come to next season with a potential boatload of cap space.

It will fun times to praise Ken Holland's rebuild-moves of Yzerman's later success. :)

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If ownership had approached Yzerman about an extension and he declined or gave uncertainty, that could have precipitated this quick change.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, the timing seems off. Why make this decision a week before training camp starts? Seems like there is more to this story than has been made public yet. Stepping down for family/health issues maybe.....

Assuming it isnt health related, I would assume Tampa has been trying to extend him this off season since hes going into his last year and he decided he wanted to go to Detroit. They probably want Brisebois making the decisions if Yzerman isnt all in with the team, so they make him an advisor and he has to honour his contract. It means he cant hhelp Detroit, a team in the division this year, but doesnt have him making long term decisions for the team either if hes planning t go to Detroit

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
There has to be some sort of family/health thing or something else not hockey related going on. There is no way a gm would step down from a team that is a favorite to win the cup a month before the season starts

But regardless, the chances of yzerman becoming the next wings gm just went up substantially imo

Reactions: Fynn and BinCookin

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It will fun times to praise Ken Holland's rebuild-moves of Yzerman's later success. :)

I would much rather Yzerman be building the team going forward salary cap wise and negotiating contracts. Some of Hollands draft picks will play a major role, but I'm sure Yzermans use of cap space will allow for more depth when the team is contending again compared to Holland. Yzerman also wont be afraid to make a shrewd trade or two

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
This is going to be a shadow hanging over Holland all season. It will be interesting if he has any comments.

Seems like the plan all along was have Holland finish GM duties this year and have him transition into an advisory role the following season, much like Yzerman is doing now.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
There has to be some sort of family/health thing or something else not hockey related going on. There is no way a gm would step down from a team that is a favorite to win the cup a month before the season starts

But regardless, the chances of yzerman becoming the next wings gm just went up substantially imo
I think newfy's explanation is very reasonable

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Wings will give Yzerman keys to the franchise. I expect a role higher than simple GM. He'll have an executive roll as well. I wonder if he gets ownership percentage as well.

Holland moves up or to Seattle. I could see either with Holland. A chance build from the ground up is mightily appealing.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
If he's truly coming home I have some crow to eat. I honestly thought he wouldn't, mainly due to the fact that his reputation/legacy is cemented here. In Tampa he could and was building a new reputation/legacy as a GM.

Pretty excited regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad