Speculation: Stevie Y coming home???

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I hope there is nothing personal that is forcing this. Seems really out of nowhere?

True. Hopefully it’s something that he’s not seeing eye to eye with ownership or something. Can we slide Holland up after this year to make Stevie the GM next season?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This is a mind-blowing revelation today, I can't understand why.

I am not assuming Detroit has any impact on these plans, but I'd be pretty jazzed if he came home.

Reactions: TheMule93

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I thought there was no way he would return anytime soon, but I’d gladly eat crow to see him come back.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Reactions: Fynn

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
This is all very strange timing. Hopefully it's not health related.

But let's assume it's not...the only way it makes sense to me is if:

1) Brisebois was garnering interest from other teams.
2) Tampa didn't want to be left without either of them so gave Yzerman the option to either sign long term with them, or step aside so Brisebois can have the job now
3) Stevie didn't want to stay long term.

After that the question is why did he not want to stay long term. And the only two answers I can think of are he doesn't want to be a GM at all anymore, or he wants to come back to Detroit.

Reactions: Hugh Mongusbig

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Hope it isn't health related.

That was my first thought as well. No matter how anybody feels about whether Yzerman should or shouldn't come to Detroit, I definitely don't want the guy to have to deal with a serious health issue, whether for himself or a loved one.

Here's the TSN article on the announcement, by the way:

https://www.tsn.ca/report-yzerman-steps-down-as-bolts-gm-1.1171171

Yeah, the timing seems off. Why make this decision a week before training camp starts? Seems like there is more to this story than has been made public yet. Stepping down for family/health issues maybe.....

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Not shooting the messenger, but Custance really didn't say anything there. Not at all a surprise that the underlings would like to know their status, with Holland likely departing after this contract.

Should be an interesting 4pm presser...

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Well he isn't coming back if he intends to stay on as an advisor.

He's staying on as an advisor to fulfill the balance of his contract - that's just through this year.

It would make a lot of sense for him to "step down" in that role with the Lightning for '18-'19, making any leave for a GM position in Detroit less controversial. As an advisor, he wouldn't have the final say in any TBL decisions. As a GM, he would (with the blessing of his owner, of course). Being an advisor reduces the potential appearance of any collusion with Detroit in the event that Yzerman, as GM in a final pre-Detroit year, made a decision that was ultimately to the detriment of Tampa, or at least had the appearance of being so.

Also, Seattle aims to play for the 20-21 season. Vegas announced the signing of their GM in July of 2016 despite not being actively involved (sans the Duke et al signings) in the NHL season until essentially a year later. There's no reason to think the Illitch family, after his quarter century with Detroit, wouldn't give Holland the opportunity to speak with Seattle reps if he so desired. Considering Detroit is almost certainly not going to make the playoffs, Holland should have some spare time post-March to discuss his options with Seattle. And with Yzerman not having a contract with Tampa beyond the end of this season, he'd be available shortly thereafter, or perhaps even around the same time, depending on the nature of his advisorship.

Very interesting situation all around and little reason to think this doesn't point towards a reign in Detroit absent any outstanding personal issues. Tampa has every chance to be a contender this year. No reason Yzerman shouldn't want to be the current GM for a potential Cup winning team if he didn't think he was sacrificing something big to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->