Speculation: Stevie Y coming home???

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by datsyukfan, Sep 11, 2018.

1. CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash Registered User

TB fan here. Pretty much everybody in TB says hes going back to Detroit as GM. I think deep down most of us knew it would happen eventually. He was the face of that franchise for years. He had great years in TB as a GM but nothing gets close to the level of legendary status he has in Detroit. Also his family lives there. Makes too much sense. Just dont beat TB when you play us. :)

2. A II R

A II R Registered User

McKenzie was asked about Stevie Y and Edmonton today on the radio. Here was his response:

“Yeah, see - the Yzerman thing, my take on this,” inserted McKenzie. “And again, I’m definitely not reporting this, so I’m not getting radioed on this. I said this on my podcast before. I’d be the most shocked guy in the world if Yzerman doesn’t end up with the Detroit Red Wings as soon as his contract is done with the Tampa Bay Lightning, and I believe it’s up on July 1.

“So I don’t have specific knowledge of that happening. Sometimes the most obvious thing in the world is the thing that will happen. I kind of feel that way as an opinion-based thing, that Yzerman is going to end up back in Detroit.

“And on top of everything, Yzerman left his job at arguably the best team in the National Hockey League, one of the best franchises in the National Hockey League, because he wanted to be closer to home, family considerations. With a team in Tampa, a farm team in Syracuse, a home in Detroit, an offseason home in Ontario, Muskoka - it was a little too much running around and splitting things with his family and what have you.

“So how would Edmonton ever fit into that equation - and it wouldn’t.”

Larkin2AA and StargateSG1 like this.
  3. Bench

Bench Orange Safety Mesh

If July 1st comes and Holland is still kicking tires on free agents, my disappointment will be immeasurable and my day ruined.

4. TheMule93

TheMule93 On a mule rides the swindler

Duh. He had everything in Tampa - elite team, awesome weather, not under the scrutiny of some crazy hockey market. Yet none of that mattered, he quit to come back to his family in Detroit.

If he had all that in Tampa, why on earth would he go freeze his ass of in Edmonton. Not only is it very isolated from his family just like Tampa was, but its also freezing cold, in the middle of nowhere, and their hockey club is a disaster.

5. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era RIP Fugu

I am not sure he will be the acting GM right away in all honesty.

I think he will rejoin the organization and have a ton of power this summer, but they might stagger that takeover and let Holland see out next year on his contract. Remember Yzerman himself has endorsed Holland seeing out his contract publicly. Yzerman would have an ultimate veto would be my guess, but people might just be stuck up in titles and complaining even though the Wings have figured out the direction and reporting within the organization.

I also feel that Tampa will release Yzerman from his obligation as an advisor after one of two events. Their season ends or should they really be playing their cards close to their vest the draft. Though I would think in his advisor role Yzerman will not see the drafting or July 1st plans in Tampa. This isn't exactly a secret, my guess is there is an exit strategy in terms of when his obligations end in Tampa and when they would allow him to move forward towards the Wings. While Yzerman has been stellar with UFAs, I don't think Tampa can use him as the pitch man this summer so I don't see reason for him to stay on beyond the draft in Tampa.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Ezekial, Electric Eric and jkutswings like this.
  6. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

when was Seattle talking about having their GM in place? Was it 2020?

7. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era RIP Fugu

I think Holland might have a little more competition than the original thought process on this.

I think Dreger just said it on NBCSN but Kelly McCrimmon and Mark Hunter have a lot of steam there because of their ability to draft and their knowledge of the running organizations from a junior level with NHL experiences just not in the lead role. I understand them making a ton of sense for an expansion team especially McCrimmon who has gone through the process with Vegas.

I am still hopeful they can talk Holland into Devellano's role and put Jimmy D out to pasture. But we will see.

Electric Eric likes this.
  8. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

I don't know, I don't want to see fewer Jimmy D interviews. The guy's always good for something nuts. They should make him in charge of handling the press :D

I'd be leery if handing an expansion franchise to a guy without experience. I think the ideal situation would be Holland stepping in for a couple of years and then ceding to Hunter or McCrimmon. Or maybe acting as a President of Hockey Ops and being the guy over the GM's shoulder out there. I'm just not sure Holland is really in the mood to move entirely out of the day to day decision stuff.

9. Voodoo Glow Skulls

Voodoo Glow Skulls Formerly Vatican Roulette Sponsor

Try "The Mcallan". 18 year is great, but 12 will do.

10. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

Yzerman as GM
    Holland as Executive Consultant
    Devellano as Media Liason Extraordinaire

11. Voodoo Glow Skulls

Voodoo Glow Skulls Formerly Vatican Roulette Sponsor

I think Detroit should make Holland a consultant.

Gives him the freedom to move within the org. at whatever role he wants to take.

By being a consultant, he can do whatever the org needs.

12. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

Like Bowman's old role before he went to Chicago?

13. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    What I think will happen:

- Holland has a contract until 2020
    - Yzerman has a contract until 2019.

I think Holland will be the GM for 2019-20.

Because, if Yzerman is released from Tampa at June 30 2019, he doesn't have much time to hire a new head coach or building the scouting staff/other personnell etc.

I think there will be a 1-year transition period, where Stevie could be on the management with some kind of Vice President duties, and he can patiently interview and build his own front office ready for the next season 2020-21. Then he has bigger and better group to hire more people he likes.

Holland keeps doing daily GM job for his final season 2019-20, of course together with Yzerman especially on long-term decisions.

Then, at end of the 2019-20 season, Yzerman takes the charge as GM and Holland is relieved for his Seattle challenge.

Holland would still have a full year to scout players for Seattle expansion draft, which is still as far as at summer of 2021. McPhee did same with Vegas, he had one year to scout the players before the draft.

Zetterbeer likes this.
  14. Fire Ken Holland

Fire Ken Holland into outer space

15. A II R

A II R Registered User

16. Dotter

Dotter RIP Fugu

Home Page:
    Sure seems like it.

17. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
  18. StNickFan

StNickFan Registered User

So far, I’ve had 2 second source stories of someone with a direct tie to Stevie claiming he told them he’s coming back to the wings.

Anyone else got more?

19. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

I don't think anybody is arguing to the contrary. It's just a question of in what capacity, and at what time.

Does Holland either head to Seattle or take another position within the organization, allowing Yzerman to immediately jump into the GM job? Or does Yzerman act as a consultant for a year while Holland's deal expires?

hkydave04 likes this.
  20. StNickFan

StNickFan Registered User

Sorry, wasn’t meant to be a serious post. Just trying to see if anyone else has heard some rumors like mine. All in good fun.

TheMule93 and jkutswings like this.
  21. JustJokinenAround

JustJokinenAround just get the puck out

yzerman and quenneville to wings and a cup in 2022, book it!

22. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    Funny Yzerman fact is that he made 56 trades a Tampa GM since May 2010 to June 2018.

8 years, 56 trades = 7 trades per season.

Since he let the GM vacancy, Tampa has made only one trade with Julien Brisebois as a GM. That happened in january 2019. They didn't make any trades at the deadline.

It was Koekkoek+5th for Rutta+7th with Chicago.

23. NEWing

NEWing Registered User

56 trades or 56 players?

24. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    Trades.

He aquired 51 players and traded away 53 players.

Still, I don't see much value won on those trades overall. It's just crazy and entertaining trade-fest.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019