Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Different player than pre-Nashville game/post leg-break. This is the first half of 2013 Stamkos for the past 35~ games, completely night and day, I doubt anyone thought he could get back to this level but he's done it. Contract looks amazing right now.
I'm not gonna say I told ya so buuuuuuuuuuuut.................;)

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Sure I did, I just always believed that he could turn it around. And he has. Its fantastic. Not trying to get into an argument over it btw.

You and a couple other posters had his back during his tough days. Great to see him play elite hockey again.

Reactions: Master P

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not gonna say I told ya so buuuuuuuuuuuut.................;)

In Sky's defense I don't think there was any way we ever could have predicted he would resurrect his career like this. None of us would have ever marked our calendar for 11/3/2018 as the night Stamkos got his swag back. These are 35 great games versus probably 100 bad ones he had between his leg break and knee injury.

Reactions: Master P

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This might be the best stretch of his career, including the glory days. His two-way game is better now and he's a better playmaker. And the goal-scoring is pretty much back in full, post-Nashville game.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
This might be the best stretch of his career, including the glory days. His two-way game is better now and he's a better playmaker. And the goal-scoring is pretty much back in full, post-Nashville game.

Agreed, his game is really complete this season, I'm really impressed by his defensive game, which in my mind has improved from previous years.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

That Nashville game could've possibly been one of the worst of his career and this is before that turnover that lead to the GWG. Guy seriously looked hard in the mirror after that game.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That Nashville game could've possibly been one of the worst of his career and this is before that turnover that lead to the GWG. Guy seriously looked hard in the mirror after that game.

Can't help but wonder if somebody talked to him. Maybe Halpern, given that he's in charge of forwards, and the new guy on staff. Like, Stamkos didn't gradually get back to form. He just came out next game playing like a more complete version of his old self.

The truly amazing thing is that this happened AFTER Point developed into a legit #1 C, probably top-10 in the league, which gives us two elite Cs when a lot of teams spend a decade looking for one.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Can't help but wonder if somebody talked to him. Maybe Halpern, given that he's in charge of forwards, and the new guy on staff. Like, Stamkos didn't gradually get back to form. He just came out next game playing like a more complete version of his old self.

The truly amazing thing is that this happened AFTER Point developed into a legit #1 C, probably top-10 in the league, which gives us two elite Cs when a lot of teams spend a decade looking for one.

Yeah I remember, he came out shots firing the game right after - I mean it just confirmed what all knew. It was a mental issue.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It is obvious that he has gained confidence back on his shot. Last year he would have definitely looked for a pass there. His two-way play right now is imo at the same level as pre-broken leg.

The dead plays and turnovers aren't there anymore. At least not at the ratio they were pre-Nashville. I used to literally get disappointed when I saw Stamkos breaking in with the puck, because nothing good ever came of it, and often something bad happened. Now I get an adrenaline rush, because he's a constant threat. Even when he does cough up the puck now, which is rare, it doesn't really matter because the majority of the time, he's making good plays. And that's all the expectation ever was.

This is a really crazy season. Stamkos, Johnson, and Killorn returning to form; Point stepping into the elite tier; Kucherov finding more consistency; McDonagh and Cernak being legitimate upgrades to the D, and major ones.

It's like we stood pat in the off-season and wound up with a vastly improved team anyway.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
24 goals since December 1. Leads the NHL. If he can put together a few more great games, it could become a genuine, old school OV and SS battle.

Stammer looks unreal. I pray he can replicate in the playoffs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
24 goals since December 1. Leads the NHL. If he can put together a few more great games, it could become a genuine, old school OV and SS battle.

Stammer looks unreal. I pray he can replicate in the playoffs.

I have a lot of hope for that, really. His playoff troubles have always been an amplification of his regular season troubles--over-passing, bad turnovers, bad decisions in general. Those really aren't part of his game anymore.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
I have a lot of hope for that, really. His playoff troubles have always been an amplification of his regular season troubles--over-passing, bad turnovers, bad decisions in general. Those really aren't part of his game anymore.
Agreed - unmistakably a different player. He looks more poised then when he was in Sarnia. Such an unexpected improvement for a player beyond the mid-point of his prime.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
He reminds me of Yzerman when the wings started winning cups with his two way play.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
That's two open ice moves where he's made a guy look silly in like... a week.

That was never really one of the tools in his tool box before.
Cogliano is trending on Twitter, in part because the Wiki entry is hilarious. I honestly never thought that Stammer would be responsible for something like this. This was supposed to be Drouin’s role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad