Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Spy

Spy vs Blades
Jun 26, 2008
Hi guys, Habs fan here. I just had a quick question on Stamkos.
Was he your number one center after trading Namesnikov? Was it basically Miller, Killorn... etc that rotated on LW with Stamkos and Kucherov? Or did Miller play some center as well?

Thanks! :cheers:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Was he your number one center after trading Namesnikov? Was it basically Miller, Killorn... etc that rotated on LW with Stamkos and Kucherov? Or did Miller play some center as well?

Miller started taking faceoffs but Stamkos was still the center.

Reactions: White Spy

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

... What would Namestnikov have to do with Stamkos being our #1C? And as far as usage, yes he was (although there is a cognizable argument that Point was our better Center).

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

White Spy

Spy vs Blades
Jun 26, 2008
... What would Namestnikov have to do with Stamkos being our #1C? And as far as usage, yes he was (although there is a cognizable argument that Point was our better Center).

Did Namestnikov not line up between Kucherov and Stamkos prior to being traded?

White Spy

Spy vs Blades
Jun 26, 2008
Names had good chemistry with Kuch. He wouldn't have normally been there otherwise.

Definitely fair. It was more a response to the question of what it has to do with Stamkos and the number one center position.

Anyways, thank you all for your help :cheers:

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Stammer should play LW IMO. After the injury his skating hasn't been the same. Also I prefer centers being playmakers. Just put Stamkos - Point - Kucherov on the ice and watch what happens.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
You have Point and Johnson as your top-6 C's, how much more depth do you need.
Point-Johnson would be pretty underwhelming compared to Stamkos-Point. Also Johnson wasn't that great of a 2C until Point came along.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Johnson has a 70-point upside, I think he'd be just fine playing those 2nd line minutes as a center.
Johnson has scored 38, 45 and 50 points in his last three seasons. He's not going to be a 70 point player again. He missed a handful of games in those 38 and 45 point seasons but 50 point player is what he is. He can be a 2C but I'd much rather have depth down the middle and not put our top three forwards on one line.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Johnson has scored 38, 45 and 50 points in his last three seasons. He's not going to be a 70 point player again. He missed a handful of games in those 38 and 45 point seasons but 50 point player is what he is. He can be a 2C but I'd much rather have depth down the middle and not put our top three forwards on one line.
Agreed, tho I believe he's still in his prime an could bounce back. Stamkos - Point - Johnson is an excellent depth in the middle and hey, if it's not broken, don't fix it! I'm just flirting with the idea of Stamkos playing LW.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

He looked really good on the wing. Had a lot of chances. I think luck played a part in things, given the shooting % dip. If he shoots his normal 13-14% next year, on Brayden Point's wing, I think he could have a very good year. He's always been prone to blowing chances, even going back to his big year, where he started the season getting a billion chances and failing to cash in before TKO came together.

His 70 point days are very likely over. He seems to be a lot more conscious of staying healthy in the regular season now, and I ain't mad at it. If our stars show up in the playoffs, and Johnson's giving us 0.5 ppg at even strength (emphasis on even strength), we're gonna be tough as hell to beat.

He played like a 5m player last year. I think sometimes we still group him in a tier of players he's not part of, even if he's had flashes of it, so our expectations get out of whack. He's a support player, and whether he's doing his job or not is pretty much inconsequential if the stars don't show up when it matters.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah I'll bet on Stamkos not scoring 90 points again after not being able to do that last year with a substantial lead on the competition and 44% of that in the first 21 games.

Stamkos was sub ppg for the last 50 games of the season and right around his production level of his previous full seasons.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
If he's playing with Kuch again this season I could see him getting 80 (low 80's) again. 70's for sure.

God I wish he would just shoot the puck from everywhere, like he used to, like he did in 2010 and scored 60. Ovi still does it and wins the Rocket every year!

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Stamkos is such a confusing player. Numerically he is an offensive beast and he shows signs as a two way center at times he just can’t do both at once. Kinda like Eberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad