Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
He reminds me of Yzerman when the wings started winning cups with his two way play.
Except Yzerman just started to play more responsible hockey and focused on his leadership under Scotty’s tutelage. He didn’t discover new offensive powers passed the mid-point of his prime.

His face-off proficiency indeed has been amazing this year, though. He still has defensive lapses here and there. But he is much improved in this area.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Except Yzerman just started to play more responsible hockey and focused on his leadership under Scotty’s tutelage. He didn’t discover new offensive powers passed the mid-point of his prime.

His face-off proficiency indeed has been amazing this year, though. He still has defensive lapses here and there. But he is much improved in this area.

Yeah, he's really not playing like Yzerman. He's playing like his old self, but possibly/probably better.

The move on that second goal was disgusting.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013

Worked late and then fell asleep at the end of the first watching the recording.

Thanks for this post, that was a beauty.

The good ones never stop learning but I think Stamkos was so gifted with his speed and shot he relied on it. He had injuries, lost some speed and his shot wasn't the same. Obviously lost some confidence. Now his game is evolving and I think he's learning new things... He is making plays in ways he never really did before. Probably learning quite a bit from Kuch. His confidence is obviously back. It's a thing of beauty.

Bring us a cup Stammer! Want to see you succeed when it counts as our Captain.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I gave him crap earlier this year and last offseason for trying to be Sidney Crosby type playmaker as it was pretty obvious that he was trying to become more of a playmaker. Didnt think he would ever get this good at it. Maybe just maybe while he was working on that part of his game the rest of his game suffered but since now its come together he has become the more rounded player he set out to be. I dont know if thats the reason for the poor play after the injuries but trying to get back from injuries definitely played a part in it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I gave him crap earlier this year and last offseason for trying to be Sidney Crosby type playmaker as it was pretty obvious that he was trying to become more of a playmaker. Didnt think he would ever get this good at it. Maybe just maybe while he was working on that part of his game the rest of his game suffered but since now its come together he has become the more rounded player he set out to be. I dont know if thats the reason for the poor play after the injuries but trying to get back from injuries definitely played a part in it.

I disagree, there's way too large of a sample size that proves he isn't an elite playmaker. His whole game elevates when he's confident in his shot because that's how he backs up defenders or makes them second guess, his game will live and die by his shot which has been that way pretty much his entire career. He had 59 assist last year, not even half the player he is currently.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I disagree, there's way too large of a sample size that proves he isn't an elite playmaker. His whole game elevates when he's confident in his shot because that's how he backs up defenders or makes them second guess, his game will live and die by his shot which has been that way pretty much his entire career. He had 59 assist last year, not even half the player he is currently.

I would agree with that and maybe that's the realization he came to. I just hated how he tried to be a playmaker when most of his passes were way off. This year it has been much better. Was just speculating that maybe he figured this part out as well but I think you are right, his shot opens everything up.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think as long as shooting is his first option, everything else falls into place. When teams start getting desperate to stop him from shooting, it opens up other options. He's not trying to force it anymore. It's coming to him naturally, which I think is because he's always looking to shoot.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think as long as shooting is his first option, everything else falls into place. When teams start getting desperate to stop him from shooting, it opens up other options. He's not trying to force it anymore. It's coming to him naturally, which I think is because he's always looking to shoot.

This. Stamkos is best when his shot sets up the pass. I've never seen emptier nets than when Stamkos looks like he is going to shoot and then passes. Kucherov probably has the exact opposite effect, goalie anticipates a pass and then dies to a quick wrist shot.

...I don't think it is the worst thing in the world to reunite then now.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This. Stamkos is best when his shot sets up the pass. I've never seen emptier nets than when Stamkos looks like he is going to shoot and then passes. Kucherov probably has the exact opposite effect, goalie anticipates a pass and then dies to a quick wrist shot.

...I don't think it is the worst thing in the world to reunite then now.

I'd save it for when we need a shake-up. Point-Kucherov creates a lot of offense, and seems to keep Kucherov a little more in shooting mode. Stamkos is playing lights out. I don't even want to breathe on this chemistry, for fear it'll fall apart. I can't remember a time when we've run on all cylinders like this. I mean, it feels like Ondrej Palat is the only guy you can say is having a bad year.

Reactions: Hockey4Life91

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Well, the bulk of Stamkos's success has come on the PP with Kucherov, at even strength has steadily produced whomever his linemates were.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well, the bulk of Stamkos's success has come on the PP with Kucherov, at even strength has steadily produced whomever his linemates were.

I don't know if we've ever seen that from him before. Up until Kuch came along, it felt like MSL or bust. But now he's finding success with a lot of different combinations. I think we should keep Stamkos-Kuch in the back pocket for now. It's most successful in short spurts.

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I don't know if we've ever seen that from him before. Up until Kuch came along, it felt like MSL or bust. But now he's finding success with a lot of different combinations. I think we should keep Stamkos-Kuch in the back pocket for now. It's most successful in short spurts.

Save it for later in the playoffs. When the other team doesn't want to see it or expect it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Apparently his jock strap was never claimed in lost and found.

Stammer is just on his game so strong now. If he is this way in June, then....:D

Seriously. 2015, 16, and 18 all saw Stamkos as a shadow of what we're seeing now. He's on such a different level from recent years that it's like we've upgraded our center ice position drastically, even if it's the same players. Between Stammer 3.0 and a more mature Point, we finally have the lethal 1-2 punch we always had on paper.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Seriously. 2015, 16, and 18 all saw Stamkos as a shadow of what we're seeing now. He's on such a different level from recent years that it's like we've upgraded our center ice position drastically, even if it's the same players. Between Stammer 3.0 and a more mature Point, we finally have the lethal 1-2 punch we always had on paper.
Steven Stamkos 3.0. Love it. We indeed have hashed this out enough: But he is a new and improved player. I think you were steadfast that the bottom was Nashville in November - it was somewhere around there. His confidence has consistently increased (without any plateau) since. I actually am very excited to see Stamkos 3.0 for a full season in his prime next year. Never again will we see Mr. 60 goals. But if he plays an entire season like the past couple weeks, another 50 goal and perhaps his first 100 point campaign is not off the table. Incredibly, if we had this conversation 12-18 months ago, we both would have laughed about the sideways reality in which we were living.

Reactions: DFC and DaBolts

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Steven Stamkos 3.0. Love it. We indeed have hashed this out enough: But he is a new and improved player. I think you were steadfast that the bottom was Nashville in November - it was somewhere around there. His confidence has consistently increased (without any plateau) since. I actually am very excited to see Stamkos 3.0 for a full season in his prime next year. Never again will we see Mr. 60 goals. But if he plays an entire season like the past couple weeks, another 50 goal and perhaps his first 100 point campaign is not off the table. Incredibly, if we had this conversation 12-18 months ago, we both would have laughed about the sideways reality in which we were living.

Many of us pinpoint the Nashville game, but it's not only because of Stamkos's play. If you look up the next game's GDT, there's a quote from Stamkos, and it's pretty clear from that quote that he realizes there's a problem in his game and he wants to fix it. Well, that same game, he fixed it, and hasn't looked back.

Last edited:
Reactions: NatoGhost

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Many of us pinpoint the Nashville game, but it's not only because of Stamkos's play. If you look up the next game's GDT, there's a quote from Stamkos, and it's pretty clear from that quote that he realizes there's a problem in his game and he wants to fix it. Well, that same game, he fixed it, and hasn't looked back.
And we all wonder how it took him this long to realize it when it was so obvious to everyone.

Reactions: Hockey4Life91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad