Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm still not sold on him being a winger.
With the brief exception of the Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov line, his EV offense has always been reliant on the rush. His speed isn't what it used to be, he's never been great on the cycle game.

Our offensive zone is pretty positionless - it just feels like he's not engaged enough on the cycle, instead still looking to get in quiet spots for shots instead of maintaining possession.

IDK - I don't think the position matters as much as he doesn't really fit the playstyle of the team 5 on 5. It also doesn't help that we don't have a great puck distributor on that line, but there's no way he can supplant Point on the top line now.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
His skating kills me. He has the turning radius of an 18 wheeler. He just loops around and around. Totally takes himself out of plays by doing so. Not sure if that's cause he's injured but he's done this in the past. No stops and starts in his game. Barely gets open, defers his shots for stupid passes and loses probably 90% Of his board battles. If he was not Steven Stamkos, former 60 goal scorer, Johnson would be playing in his spot. He's doing nothing 5v5 and on the powerplay he's sending every shot attempt into orbit. I just shake my head when the guy misses a shot, passes it into a stick or loses a board battle. So damn frustrating to watch.
He's always needed like 3 or 4 slappers to adjust his bomb sights enough to really nail one. I think it's a bit more noticeable now just because he gets fewer shot attempts.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Might still be hurt?

He's still dangerous on the ice because one clean shot and he'll beat you, but I think Coop might have to tweak some of the lines a bit.

He's still lethal on the PP, he still commands the respect of other teams players off name alone.

I thought he played fine in the Florida and Carolina series.

He's playing 4th line minutes at 5v5. I think he is.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I said it in another thread but Stamkos doesn't matchup well against the Idlanders style of hockey that we are battling.

He look solid in the Florida and Carolina series. Still a threat on the PP. I can understand why his minutes are down this round

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I noticed that eddy O gave him second star in the game and said he was noticeable all over the ice. I only had an eye on the game cause of work, was that accurate?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think he’s clearly still nursing an injury.

I don't think so. This is our first series that feels like an ugly playoff series (or, well, a typical series), and he pretty much looks like he has always looked in that case. He struggles when there's no space.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I mean he had some good defensive plays but nothing 2nd star worthy. I'm just glad he's not being a complete liability out there, that's what cheesed me off more than the decreased scoring was when he'd just dog it defensively.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
His speed has diminished greatly and he doesn’t go to the scoring areas anymore. The torque he gets on his non slap shots isn’t what it used to be but isn’t the reason why he’s a shadow of his former self

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
His speed has diminished greatly and he doesn’t go to the scoring areas anymore. The torque he gets on his non slap shots isn’t what it used to be but isn’t the reason why he’s a shadow of his former self
I just posted a long summary of my thoughts on him on the main board. I disagree that he is much slower than 2009-2013. I actually still see some explosive skating from him. And if you disagree on that point, I would say that, however you define explosive, he is not that far off from his past. His biggest problem, and it has been a problem for several years, is that he should be a volume shooter. He never has been able to drive the play. That is because, under pressure, he has stone hands (compared to other elite scorers). He regularly coughs the puck up under pressure. He should watch tape of Brett Hull in St. Louis and try to emulate him. If he focused on finding the quiet areas in the offensive zone and putting as much rubber on net as possible, he would be an immensely better player. And yet he wants to try and forecheck and cycle (which is fine) until the perfect opportunity arises. If you have an elite skill, you need to use it as much as possible. And he only seems to realize he can use it on the power play. This flaw has always revealed to me that he does not have high hockey IQ.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I just posted a long summary of my thoughts on him on the main board. I disagree that he is much slower than 2009-2013. I actually still see some explosive skating from him. And if you disagree on that point, I would say that, however you define explosive, he is not that far off from his past. His biggest problem, and it has been a problem for several years, is that he should be a volume shooter. He never has been able to drive the play. That is because, under pressure, he has stone hands. He regularly coughs the puck up under pressure. He should watch tape of Brett Hull in St. Louis and try to emulate him. If he focused on finding the quiet areas in the offensive zone and putting as much rubber on net as possible, he would be an immensely better player. And yet he wants to try and forecheck and cycle (which is fine) until the perfect opportunity arises. If you have an elite skill, you need to use it as much as possible. And he only seems to realize he can use it on the power play. This flaw has always revealed to me that he does not have high hockey IQ.

Agreed that he plays better away from the puck, he would benefit from playing with a real playmaker. Cirelli and Killorn aren't really giving him that many looks, they play behind the net and he doesn't really have a choice when it comes to playing the cycle. Every line has to play that way in the playoffs, especially when you play a team like the Islanders.

To me he is noticeably slower. He can get up to close to full speed, but the strides required take a lot of energy. It used to be effortless for him. But he really hasn't had the benefit of a full offseason to get back to full strength, there wasn't much turnaround time after the core surgery.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Respectfully, I disagree - just watched every one of his goals in the 60 goal season. There is no difference in speed. The biggest difference is: (1) he was a volume shooter, and (2) he was willing to go to the front of the net. He lost that a long time ago and only has that mentality on the power play now. It is an easy fix. Having Killorn and Cirelli as linemates is not a problem. The team just needs to work on not making the last cycle and finding him for a quick shot, even if not perfect, while trying to get him to shoot 10 times a game. North and south game. Simple game. Put pucks on net.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Respectfully, I disagree - just watched every one of his goals in the 60 goal season. There is no difference in speed. The biggest difference is: (1) he was a volume shooter, and (2) he was willing to go to the front of the net. He lost that a long time ago and only has that mentality on the power play now. It is an easy fix. Having Killorn and Cirelli as linemates is not a problem. The team just needs to work on not making the last cycle and finding him for a quick shot, even if not perfect, while trying to get him to shoot 10 times a game. North and south game. Simple game. Put pucks on net.

How can you watch the goals from that 60 goal season and think that he hasn't lost a step or two? He was very, obviously faster, being able to keep up with St. Louis and getting inside on defenders. Granted that wasn't how most of his goals were produced, but several were, and those are goals we just don't see from him anymore. I do agree with you that his volume shooting is way down, but I think the main reason is that he doesn't go to the scoring areas consistently any more where shooting the puck makes sense. The vast majority of his goals that year were from the hashmarks in, and like you pointed out now he just sets up shop at the right circle for that one timer.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
So funny enough his speed hasn’t really went down that much. Maybe his agility has?

when they do MPH tracking stammer is at the top of the team.

All in all he has declined and it would be nice to dumb his contract

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
So of course he’s declined, but we’ve seen that coming over the past 3 years.

I’m Just happy that he finds a way to sneeze points, while not being a liability on the ice.

Reactions: berlin

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
So funny enough his speed hasn’t really went down that much. Maybe his agility has?

when they do MPH tracking stammer is at the top of the team.

All in all he has declined and it would be nice to dumb his contract

Is the MPH tracking his one timer or his wrist shot? I would be very surprised if his wrist shot is still what it used to be, I just don't see the same high velocity laser accurate shot from his prime years.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Still lights it up in the regular season to help us get here. currently at a PPG. Still has one of my top favourite tampa moments all time with that goal in the cup final last year.

Still love the guy

His style just doesn't match well with the Islanders it seems. He's not aggressive or great in those dirty areas/board battles like Point/Gourde/Palat/Killorn. But if he gets a shot there's a good chance its dangerous for the opposing team

Reactions: NatoGhost

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I remember when Stamkos used to shoot a lot more the problem was if he missed it would ring around the boards so hard that it became an odd man rush the other way half of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad