Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Take the C from him and see how he reacts. If he doesn't respond to that then we are screwed for years with that contract.

I don't think that's a bad idea, but probably for an entirely different reason than you. When we stripped Vinny of his captaincy he said that took a huge load off of his chest and he was able to let loose and perform better. A lot of people point towards the leg injuries Stamkos suffered as what has been holding him back, but lest we forget, that is also when he became captain. His mistakes are by and large mental. Will never happen, but I'd prefer a guy like Girardi or Callahan be the captain in the interim. Sometimes younger guys don't react well to the captaincy.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think that's a bad idea, but probably for an entirely different reason than you. When we stripped Vinny of his captaincy he said that took a huge load off of his chest and he was able to let loose and perform better. A lot of people point towards the leg injuries Stamkos suffered as what has been holding him back, but lest we forget, that is also when he became captain. His mistakes are by and large mental. Will never happen, but I'd prefer a guy like Girardi or Callahan be the captain in the interim. Sometimes younger guys don't react well to the captaincy.

I think that's the same reason a lot fo us had for the idea. His game was much simplier away from the added responsibility. There are guys who naturally embrace the role like MSL, where as Lecavalier and Stamkos really felt forced. I wouldn't mind an interm veteran like McDonagh because he's here for term, Hedman or even Point because I don't think it'd effect any of their games. I just think a lot less can go wrong if you give it to the hardest working player(s) on a nightly basis.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Despite his cannon, our Captain sure can be an anchor when he’s off his game.

Hoping that with performances like last night, he can right the ship and be an effective player despite his peg leg.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stammer was great tonight, IMO, despite going scoreless. He shot the puck pretty much every chance he got, and it kept Ottawa on their heels. If he can keep playing like this, good things are gonna happen for both him and the team.
Agreed. He was strong on the puck and taking good shots.

86, however...

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Stammer was great tonight, IMO, despite going scoreless. He shot the puck pretty much every chance he got, and it kept Ottawa on their heels. If he can keep playing like this, good things are gonna happen for both him and the team.
:nod::nod::nod:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Just need this play to last, which has always been the issue. Playing like this should be standard for him, not us having to bring it up and praising him for it because he did it once every 5 games.

If he's like this and a threat on his own, we'll be fine. That toedrag shot was vintage Stamkos, it's rare these days you see Stamkos have a good game and Kucherov a bad one. Kuch for some reason can't embrace that he's the best forward on this team and always needs to default to someone.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So, these last three games have been kind of awesome. As a fan, I mean. We hear a lot about players playing "the right way," and I think this is "the right way" for Stamkos. I don't care if he flubs the occasional pass/play so long as he's shooting 90% of the time. Right now it feels like his entire game is based around finding a way to get the puck on net, and he's soooooo much more effective in this mode.

The warts on his game only start to show up when he starts to over-think things, which happened a lot in the last 11-12 months, and the majority of the last 5 years.

I know it's only been three games. But it does kind of feel like Nashville was a wake up call for him. Maybe somebody on the coaching staff finally had a tough conversation with him. Because he talked about shooting more, and then, lo and behold, he actually did it. And then he kept doing it for the next two games. Let's hope he keeps it up until June.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
But it does kind of feel like Nashville was a wake up call for him. Maybe somebody on the coaching staff finally had a tough conversation with him.

Agree totally. That or he's reading our boards but it seems like he realized he was hurting more than helping the team and went back to basics...which for him means skate and shoot!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Can he just keep this up? I have no idea how many points he has the past 3 games but that's the point, it shouldn't matter if a guys playing well people notice.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Can he just keep this up? I have no idea how many points he has the past 3 games but that's the point, it shouldn't matter if a guys playing well people notice.
For the record I think he has 6.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

No points in the middle game, but he was great in that one too.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm trying to think of one where he looked this good at both ends of the rink, and I'm drawing a blank.

He had a 5 point game last year right before he hit the wall. I think there've been a few sporadic games that've been close. But I don't know that I remember him being clearly and by far the best player on the ice, for either team, like this. Especially on a night where we played well as a team.

I hope this isn't just him getting our hopes up again. He does that once a year it seems. But the sign I think is really good is how well he's playing even when he's not scoring. Like, there's been a game or two where he's been a little invisible in this stretch, but we're at a point where we can actually say he's just having an "off" night rather than "this is what he is most of the time." So yeah. Fine. My hopes are up.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I member him absolutely dominating in a playoff game against the Habs a few years back. But my memory might be playing tricks on me here. He didn’t get much points but he was flying in all three zones IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad