Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the best game I've ever seen Stamkos play was just a few games before the broken leg, also against the Cats. Pretty sure he went 3-1-4 that night.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think the best game I've ever seen Stamkos play was just a few games before the broken leg, also against the Cats. Pretty sure he went 3-1-4 that night.

I remember that one. He had a PPG, ESG and SHG. The swagger he would play with was just unreal. By the end of the first week of November a 50 in 50 didn't feel impossible

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
He’s been playing really well for a couple weeks. I missed the game last night but it sounds like he found another level (or an old level). Having stammer as another driving force would be huge!

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He’s been playing really well for a couple weeks. I missed the game last night but it sounds like he found another level (or an old level). Having stammer as another driving force would be huge!

He's confident in his shot again, I think, which makes every other facet of his game better. Even his passes are better when he's not 100% planning to pass the moment he gets the puck. Teams are having a tougher time reading him lately too.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I don't think that kind of play is sustainable from Stammer but it sure was fun to watch last night. He definitely has played with a lot more confidence lately.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
I don't think that kind of play is sustainable from Stammer but it sure was fun to watch last night. He definitely has played with a lot more confidence lately.
Yeah I don't think anybody thinks hes going to be putting up 4 points every night but he has looked better as of late and it was nice to see him absolutely run the game last night

I think he will finish PPG but hopefully he finishes with around 85 points and then proceeds to get his name engraved on lord Stanley's mug :thumbu:

Edit: missed a letter in proceeds

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
It's almost rather funny that we can practically pinpoint the moment when Stamkos got his swag back. His goal in Montreal and he said "I haven't felt that release in a long time" and it seems like since then hes gotten better. I think that moment he screwed up the Nashville game really stuck with him because Montreal was the next team we played after.

Whatever it is just keep doing it. And keep playing Louie Louie along with having Marty in the house ----especially in the playoffs

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's almost rather funny that we can practically pinpoint the moment when Stamkos got his swag back. His goal in Montreal and he said "I haven't felt that release in a long time" and it seems like since then hes gotten better. I think that moment he screwed up the Nashville game really stuck with him because Montreal was the next team we played after.

Whatever it is just keep doing it. And keep playing Louie Louie along with having Marty in the house ----especially in the playoffs

Yeah, I think it was that first Nashville game was a huge wake up call. He pretty much single-handedly cost us that game, and I think he realized it. His quote the next game was about getting back into a shooting mode. He's been great since.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
https://www.tsn.ca/just-the-stats-sabres-and-leafs-hot-stamkos-is-cold-1.1213525

Was just reading this article and it reminded me about how last year at American thanksgiving Stamkos was leading the league in points but then cooled off later. I wonder if this year he has taken a new approach and decided instead of starting off hot and finishing cold he'll start cold and finish hot instead :laugh:

The article also still refers to him as a sniper when i'm pretty sure most people refer to him as a playmaker now. I mean he still has that shot on the power play and what not but I think he should be classified as a playmaker until he scores more than 30 goals. What do you guys think?

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Forget the points he got last night. Here’s to hoping he continues to play this well in all areas of game!

Was it the new lines combinations? Was it because Marty was in the house? Was it because of the goal he scored in Montreal?

Here’s to hoping it’s not just a one off.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Forget the points he got last night. Here’s to hoping he continues to play this well in all areas of game!

Was it the new lines combinations? Was it because Marty was in the house? Was it because of the goal he scored in Montreal?

Here’s to hoping it’s not just a one off.

He's got a proper bell curve, has been slowly elevating his play for about a month now

Reactions: mjtm777

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Knocking Petrovic on his ass while keeping control of the puck.

Looked like f***ing Forsberg. He never keeps the puck in those situations.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
There is no real mystery to Stammer's rebirth... obviously he reads HF, saw everyone talking $h*t about him being done, declining, and all that and said "I'll show them". Take a bow guys, you'll motivated the return of "STOP, Stammer Time!!" :)

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This is the first time in five years, even when he's played well, where he hasn't had to depend on linemates to create opportunities for him. He looks like a guy who could be the main playmaker on his line (making plays by attacking the net, mainly) and have that line be successful. Which would open up a toooon of depth options for us.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
After nearly a decade in the league, it is safe to conclude that Stammer will likely not play like he did against the Cats most nights. Except for one-off games like Wednesday, Stammer is not calm with the puck and rarely creates opportunities for himself like a Crosby. Don't misconstrue my pessimism, I would LOVE to be wrong. But after 686 games, Stammer is what he is. Some of you will disagree, but, in my opinion, he didn't even create space for himself like elite players during the 13-14 broken leg season.

My secret hope is that Stammer recently asked MSL to break down film with him after every game. And now he is a player who views the game a bit differently.

In any event, Stammer still isn't shooting enough.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
After nearly a decade in the league, it is safe to conclude that Stammer will likely not play like he did against the Cats most nights. Except for one-off games like Wednesday, Stammer is not calm with the puck and rarely creates opportunities for himself like a Crosby. Don't misconstrue my pessimism, I would LOVE to be wrong. But after 686 games, Stammer is what he is. Some of you will disagree, but, in my opinion, he didn't even create space for himself like elite players during the 13-14 broken leg season.

My secret hope is that Stammer recently asked MSL to break down film with him after every game. And now he is a player who views the game a bit differently.

He's been very good-to-great since the disaster against Nashville (1st game). The last game was a mix of him just having a good night and the Panthers' D doing a bunch of Sustr and/or Carle impressions. Nobody can play like that every game, but if he stays on this current level, we could see it from time to time, when the stars align.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa

I was joking to myself that Stammer was wearing an earpiece with MSL talking in his ear during the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad