Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman stepping down as GM | Julien BriseBois promoted to GM

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Wonder who gets the Syracuse GM spot now. Verbeek is the other AGM right now, but also Director of Player Personnel, which involves him in scouting & the draft I believe.

Stacy Roest is Director of Player Development, which is maybe more related to his current role, although he'd be seen as the new #2.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Sounds likely that he's going to the Red Wings. No sour grapes here, this stings but he has every right to live near his family. I always figured he'd want to finish what he started, but I guess with one year left on his contract there was pressure to decide on extending long term.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
if he wants to go home keep family together their ages etc.. it makes sense so wont mind if he took a detroit job honestly... I hope all is well its yzerman like we would know if things were bad smdh. but for what he has done etc.. i am sincerely truly happy for us here

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The bright side is the majority of the heavy lifting is done for a while. We have the majority of our studs locked up long-term. Point, Sergachev (assuming he doesn't get moved for Karlsson), and Vasi pretty much locks in the entire core for the long haul. I know JB has it in him and I don't feel this is devestating in the least. SY did a great job for us. Now it's time to turn the page.
The Lightning are in a way different place from when Yzerman joined, and part of building the yearly contender is to deal with turnover in your organization. Yzerman started that, but we can also attract just about anyone now.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Horrible, very bad, not good news. :(

Yes, JB will do a terrific job but this is Steve Fricking Yzerman!!

Hope to heavens it's not health related.

BTW, Detroit fans, can you just leave off the gloating in our own fricking forum and let us mourn in peace for a while??? :ha:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh Mongusbig

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I don't doubt JB will have a handle on managing day to day things but Steve Yzerman is a huge selling point in name alone whether it comes to trades, FA's or contract negotiations. Yzerman playing hardball with you is one thing because of his status, JB won't be able to replicate that.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
What a huge punch in the gut to the fanbase. Wow....this is brutal.

Trading for EK would definitely be something to soften the blow.

This is Urban Myers all over again. Hes gonna claim he wants to go home to be with family. Lay low for a year then take his dream job in Detroit.

Man......

Reactions: Hugh Mongusbig

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I'm thankful we had him but that's a huge blow to the org. Terrible to announce right before the season starts. Wtf. Classless IMHO.

Reactions: ultra63

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Is it bad that this feels like your going through a long term break up.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I'm thankful we had him but that's a huge blow to the org. Terrible to announce right before the season starts. Wtf. Classless IMHO.

Pretty sure I want to hear at the presser what the reason is (if given - may be a private matter) before I'd start throwing around words like "classless". Does it suck? Abso ****** lutely it does but how 'bout we wait and hear first.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I’m guessing they were gonna lose brisebois, and Stevie didn’t wanna do him like he got in Detroit.

Hopefully he stays. Let brisebois handle the day-to-day.

As a Detroit fan, this is what I immediately thought. He knew it was time to let someone else have the reigns, unlike what Holland did in Detroit.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
At least he gave you guys one last parting gift by signing kucherov before he left

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Out of nowhere...

Seems out of character for Yzerman to do this just before training camp for no reason. I'm guessing it's family issues at play here.

Well, this is your team now Brisebois. You've got enormous shoes to fill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad