Confirmed with Link: Steve Yzerman did a thing: Shayne Gostisbehere signs for one year

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
That is not true. He wasn't ready, he said it himself it took him till midseason to get used to the speed of the game in the NA and how different it was. In the preseason he was way to casual on his blueline, assuming he has more time and made a lot mistakes. If you want to compare his play in the preseason and aat the end of the season it was different, he was way more coposed and dealt better with forecheck. Now you can argue that Chiarot sucks and despite those mistakes, Edvinsson was still a better player, but is it always better for their development?
I don't see any necessity to pencil Kasper or Mazur already into line up - what happens if they are not ready and you basically have no Plan B? I think just to hope they will make it is bad planning and bad management.
Ed being better later in the year doesn't change the fact he was our 4th best defenseman in training camp.

Development can happen in the NHL. Happens every year. Young kids get better.

Slotting in kids doesn't have to be a necessity, but blocking them with $2M vets that won't get waived in October also isn't a necessity.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Ed being better later in the year doesn't change the fact he was our 4th best defenseman in training camp.

Development can happen in the NHL. Happens every year. Young kids get better.

Slotting in kids doesn't have to be a necessity, but blocking them with $2M vets that won't get waived in October also isn't a necessity.

Players who are supposed to block those kids are on 1-year contracts, they can be easily dealt during the season.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I hope not, there has been. nothing to suggest Rasmussen is a center.
Im sure it will change 10 times between now and October. That’s what’s being projected at the moment though. Not saying it’s what I want.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Players who are supposed to block those kids are on 1-year contracts, they can be easily dealt during the season.

It seems to be a somewhat logic, that the they want to compare the kid against NHL regular.

And if the kid is better, then the regular will be pushed (and traded) out.

If the kid can't push the regular out, he'll need more development time.

Also, some injuries are on the play, in this Seider-Gostisbehere-Edvinsson case.

For sure, Edvinsson is gonna take that PP duty on some day. At GR he had 1st PP, 2nd PK role at last season. So it looks like they are planning him more for the PP, than PK.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
One thing I’ll never understand from last season is breaking up Maatta and Hronek. That pairing worked so well together and was perfect for the second pair. None of that matters now that he’s gone.

Anyone know why Stevie wanted to trade Hronek? I don’t recall reading any reason why he traded him.

One thing I’ll never understand from last season is breaking up Maatta and Hronek. That pairing worked so well together and was perfect for the second pair. None of that matters now that he’s gone.

Anyone know why Stevie wanted to trade Hronek? I don’t recall reading any reason why

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Anyone know why Stevie wanted to trade Hronek? I don’t recall reading any reason why he traded him.

Imo, Hronek was too mistake-prone and not maybe the size Yzerman likes to prefer. Lost battles on own end and wasn't that strong net-front.

Of course, smallish Pellikka was drafted with the 1st Hronek netted, but he is different player, better skating guy, offensive ES transition dynamo. Maybe more modern defenceman.

Think also Hronek's next contract will go very high, thanks to earlier high production. Think Stevie just didn't want that to our books. Hronek is gonna get 6-7 million on his next deal, and if we are planning the PP for Seider and Edvinsson, he would just not fit on the plan.

You want that high-money going to main producers (Edvinsson, Seider), or they have to be McDonagh-level shut-down guys. Hronek could not have been either on Red Wings long-term plans.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006

Anyone know why Stevie wanted to trade Hronek? I don’t recall reading any reason why

Steve sold Hronek as his value was high. He was getting too expensive for being offensive defenseman, who you need to babysit on a second pairing . Before letting him go for nothing after next season, you sell high on him. His upside somewhat limited due to his size, skating and defensive hockey IQ, his downside you was able to admire in 2021-22 season.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sometimes you find some stats you could never believe. This is one of them:

1689754017779.png

Gostisbehere is 6th best point producer from his draft class. :O

As a defenceman.

With points per game, he is 4th and slightly better than Morgan Rielly.

1.Forsberg 0.830
2.Teräväinen 0.684
3.Hertl 0.677
4.Ghost 0.578
5.Rielly 0.575

Last edited:

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think signing Gostisbehere is maybe the best move of the off season for its 3D chess factor.

This signing was absolutely required to make sure we don't inappropriately give Sieder #1 PP Time. Sieder is capable of using #1 PP time, and that will drive his points to around 50 at least.
Considering how good Sieder is in other situations, you are looking at a 7-9 Million dollar player.

IMHO giving Gostisbehere #1 PP time is more appropriate, he is better at it. And this makes sure to limit Seider's points on the PP. This could make Seider more of a 6M dollar player. If this theory is correct, Detroit will wait till the end of the season to sign Seider's extension, thus giving them more evidence of Seider's "lower" production.

This is technically also how you would want the wings structured if one day we put Pellika in Gostisbehere's role.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I think signing Gostisbehere is maybe the best move of the off season for its 3D chess factor.

This signing was absolutely required to make sure we don't inappropriately give Sieder #1 PP Time. Sieder is capable of using #1 PP time, and that will drive his points to around 50 at least.
Considering how good Sieder is in other situations, you are looking at a 7-9 Million dollar player.

IMHO giving Gostisbehere #1 PP time is more appropriate, he is better at it. And this makes sure to limit Seider's points on the PP. This could make Seider more of a 6M dollar player. If this theory is correct, Detroit will wait till the end of the season to sign Seider's extension, thus giving them more evidence of Seider's "lower" production.

This is technically also how you would want the wings structured if one day we put Pellika in Gostisbehere's role.

You’re overthinking it. Yzerman isn’t trying to make anyone on an offense-starved team score less to keep their cap number down. That idea on this board needs to die a swift death. That’s how you LOSE your best players. Seider at 6 means you lose him to UFA for undervaluing him. Seider at 8+ is commensurate with other young top D.

Yzerman signed Ghost because Ghost can and often does play RD, a position Detroit is weak at.

Additionally, the loss of Hronek means they had less offensive punch back there. Ghost fills that need as well.

Third, Walman is a fine defenseman but not going to make a team’s second power play a threat. Ghost does this.

And finally, it’s a one year deal. If Detroit is out of the postseason they can trade Ghost for a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a prospect.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You’re overthinking it. Yzerman isn’t trying to make anyone on an offense-starved team score less to keep their cap number down. That idea on this board needs to die a swift death. That’s how you LOSE your best players. Seider at 6 means you lose him to UFA for undervaluing him. Seider at 8+ is commensurate with other young top D.

Yzerman signed Ghost because Ghost can and often does play RD, a position Detroit is weak at.

Additionally, the loss of Hronek means they had less offensive punch back there. Ghost fills that need as well.

Third, Walman is a fine defenseman but not going to make a team’s second power play a threat. Ghost does this.

And finally, it’s a one year deal. If Detroit is out of the postseason they can trade Ghost for a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a prospect.
That and Ghost's "better at it" in regards to the PP begins and ends with "let Giroux run the PP" (from '11 through '19 Giroux had more PP points than anyone in the NHL). Mo has more PP points than Ghost since Ghost left Philly...

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That and Ghost's "better at it" in regards to the PP begins and ends with "let Giroux run the PP" (from '11 through '19 Giroux had more PP points than anyone in the NHL). Mo has more PP points than Ghost since Ghost left Philly...

He played for Arizona which has a PP worse than the Wings.

Seider is better at keeping the puck in the zone, but Ghost is more creative. In the long run, my bet is on Ed anyways.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He played for Arizona which has a PP worse than the Wings.

Seider is better at keeping the puck in the zone, but Ghost is more creative. In the long run, my bet is on Ed anyways.

Seider keeps the puck in the zone better than any wings defenseman since Lidstrom. He’s plenty creative, but the bigger problem is the two forwards who were most dangerous on the power play were Perron and Larkin. Seider was also getting less PP1 minutes to start the year because Hronek.

I think it’s just a matter of time before we see Seider become a 60+ point defender that can put opponents through the boards. And with our additions I think it could be this upcoming season.

Reactions: norrisnick

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023

He didn't want to sign him for 7M+ for 7 years which is probably what it would have taken, as Hronek is still very much a one-way player.

If Seider signs for 6M it's because they bridged him for a year or two. If he's signing long-term, he's getting 8M if he gives the Wings a massive discount or he's getting 9.5M if he's getting market value (Re: Werenski, Nurse, Jones)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Individual PP points/60 from last 2 seasons:

1.Debrincat 5.52
2.Larkin 5.49
(Kubalik 5.17)
3.Raymond 4.94
4.Berggren 4.93
-----------------Top4 forwards, then Gostisbehere as best Point-D.
5.Perron 4.74
6.Sprong 4.72
(Hronek 4.72)
--------------------
7.Gostisbeher 4.60
8.Seider 4.37
--------------
9.Fabbri 4.16
10. Veleno 4.15
11.Compher 3.36

1st unit
-----------
Perron - Larkin
DeBrincat - Raymond
Gostibehere

2nd unit
----------
Compher - Fabbri
Sprong - Berggren
Seider

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He fits in so well with this team, I hope we extend him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad