The Sun: Steve Simmons on "Driving players out of town"

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
"The sky is falling" generally reads and writes differently than "everything is awesome". Reading here makes sense because it's a decent sample size of what's on the minds of Leafs Nation. Presser questions are likely geared towards that as well, and really, anything Leafs is of interest.

There's many different opinions and it'd be nearly impossible for any two Leaf fans to agree or disagree on anything 100% of the time. We all agree where it's important anyway - being Leaf fans ;). The team is going to do what it's going to do regardless of any outside factors.

But the players are effected by the outside factors. You don’t think it affected Kessel? Murphy. It looks like it is getting to Matthews. If it affects the play or how much he wants to be here etc. Then that is less success or a higher cap etc.

Again doughty said he wouldn’t want to come here for the media. Lowering our chance at exactly what we need in any way. Even if it is 1 percent. Is Simmons and. His idiocy worth it???

Our stupidity online feeds the media which has a negative effect on getting players here. Even if it is just a little effect. Is it worth it??

Reactions: Buds17

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
But the players are effected by the outside factors. You don’t think it affected Kessel? Murphy. It looks like it is getting to Matthews. If it affects the play or how much he wants to be here etc. Then that is less success or a higher cap etc.

Again doughty said he wouldn’t want to come here for the media. Lowering our chance at exactly what we need in any way. Even if it is 1 percent. Is Simmons and. His idiocy worth it???

Our stupidity online feeds the media which has a negative effect on getting players here. Even if it is just a little effect. Is it worth it??

As much distaste as I have for the media his playing style is what brought any wrath that existed against him into existence.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Management are the only ones who can trade, release or otherwise move players.

The media can't do it.
The fans can't do it.

If either the fans or media cause management to make a move based on them, you need new management.

Steve Simmons or anyone else can say anything they want. All their doing is killing forests. Real, virtual or otherwise. It should be irrelevant.

Reactions: Buds17

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
No accountability by the media days are overrrrrrr!!

The accountability on here is likely stronger for a young or new poster in a week or two depending on how stubborn of pig headed they are.

I would much rather read hockey here than a news paper. More ideas come up here and end up on the mainstream media than you can remember anyway

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
As much distaste as I have for the media his playing style is what brought any wrath that existed against him into existence.

Just like Matthews now? Another “no heart American?l” or Nylander ? Or Murphy? Or sundin?

There is a long list of successful people who the Toronto media ran out of town due to playing style.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No accountability by the media days are overrrrrrr!!

The accountability on here is likely stronger for a young or new poster in a week or two depending on how stubborn of pig headed they are.

I would much rather read hockey here than a news paper. More ideas come up here and end up on the mainstream media than you can remember anyway

Ya. But the media are the ones who ask the questions and piss them off after every game

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Sportcasters and writers are in the entertainment business. Simmons has just has to run his mouth trying to make as mark as being different and smarter than any one else. Simmons has really taken a different stance than most though, he goes attacks players personally. Not often but probably enough that he is just ignored by the Leafs. He really has no insider info.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
From his latest column:

Haven't read the article, but did come across a Twitter request to list superstars driven out by the Toronto media, with one proviso:

"And leave Kessel out."

So whether or not Steve Simmons is capable of acknowledging the media's role in creating the fish bowl of attention on the Toronto Maple Leafs is one thing...Insisting the prosecution excuse their lead witness, well...Your Honour:

Exhibit A.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

People wanted Kessel to be what he is not...that's where the problem is and it's arguably unfair...he carried this team offensively as a winger for all the years he was here, made Bozak look like a passable #1 C and even made Lupul an all-star one year...he's been playing the same way in Pittsburg and won 2 Cups with them, even challenged Crosby for the Conn Smythe one year, losing out only by a few points in voting. The media turned on Kessel time and time again and made him look alot worse than he really is.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Steve Simmons has been here so long he probably thinks he's a real factor and a big influencer on the fortunes of the team.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Toronto fans: Matthews should get more ice time
Toronto Media: Babcock Lost Matthews, There was No Trust Anymore

:laugh:

Simmons is foolish for suggesting the media is innocent. Don't forget the absolute garbage that came out about Kadri during his initial years. Kessel and the hot dogs. Reimer's health (directly contacting his mom).

Toronto has the most trash media in all of hockey. Straight up embarrassing.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
These days the Toronto media is full of muffins like Jonas Siegel, Mark Masters, Kristen Shilton, etc. They wouldn't dare say anything to drive players out of town, considering they are actually on the beat and talk to the players on a daily basis. It's not like it used to be when you had clowns like Simmons, Cox, etc. putting out gossipy, hot-take drivel in a pathetic attempt to lure in readers. Toronto is once again a great place to play, and other than the number of media they really have no impact on the players.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
These days the Toronto media is full of muffins like Jonas Siegel, Mark Masters, Kristen Shilton, etc. They wouldn't dare say anything to drive players out of town, considering they are actually on the beat and talk to the players on a daily basis. It's not like it used to be when you had clowns like Simmons, Cox, etc. putting out gossipy, hot-take drivel in a pathetic attempt to lure in readers. Toronto is once again a great place to play, and other than the number of media they really have no impact on the players.
Got news for you; most of these clowns haven't actually gone anywhere. They've just laid low for the last few years, as the team has been getting better and there wasn't a ton of negative stuff they could dredge up. But with the Leafs losing to the Bruins like in 2013, they're coming back out of hiding to try and claim that the "new" Leafs are the same as the "old" Leafs...

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
simmons "phil eats hotdogs". I felt reporters made it personal with phil. Look at him now. Thriving in pittsburgh and winning cups. I stopped watching TSN/sportsnet, listening to leafs radio, and reading articles years ago. I don't know what feschuk, simmons and those chuckleheads on overdrive have been up too the last couple years but during phils time they went after him and I won't forget it. A winning team is not good press. They want the leafs to fail.

Kessel is doing well because he’s essestially the third if not fourth wheel on the team(Matt Murray). Can’t really blame the media for Kessel not coming to camp in shape, the guy’s a great player but Mr Fitness he will never be.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Did anyone see the way Bergeron, Marchand and Pasternak competed? If we had gotten that from Matthews and Nylander, we would have trashed them.

Marchand say what you want was at times skating half on his ass, getting back up in mid stride and continuing. I love the guy, I want to trade Kadri and Nylander and Gardiner for him straight up.

Babcock is a weird guy yeah, he makes a lot of shit decisions, but I guarantee if Matthews and Nylander had brought the kind of compete we all wanted, we would kicking Tampa's ass right now.

Gardner? Still our best dman, like it or not. In most games. You want to excommunicate him? Go ahead.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
People don’t use the media for information, nowadays, they use it for confirmation. For, e.g. that’s how MSNBC and CNN can exist.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Leafs media earned their reputation. They choose to paint a negative story when they could just as easily paint a positive one. It's always been strange to me they run a decades long smear campaign against the team and sport than employs them all. You don't normally see that in other industries like I haven't seen Canadian Tire running commercials about how crappy their products are and how they will make you miserable if you buy them

Leafs media earned their reputation. They choose to paint a negative story when they could just as easily paint a positive one. It's always been strange to me they run a decades long smear campaign against the team and sport than employs them all. You don't normally see that in other industries like I haven't seen Canadian Tire running commercials about how crappy their products are and how they will make you miserable if you buy them
This is very true, during their playoff drought years there were so many games that the Leafs won, but the media would put a negative spin and say the Leafs didn't play well, their opponent played poorly. I'm sick of the media.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
This guy is a rat, scum of the media world. I cringe every time I hear his name or hear his voice or see his face. I do my part by never clicking his article and always changing the station.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kypreos is a liar basically. He wouldn't get near my dressing room if o was lou.

Kypreos is the biggest turncoat the players association had ever had that turned broadcaster.

He stumbles over his words alot also i notice. I wonder of he is trying to remember lies or is it brain damage.

What leaf hater he is. Don't watch their crap and dump their ratings is all you do.

Scott Morrison was the best non bias article in toronto papets for years. Good quality stuff. It was pretty rare that he got wound to tight.

Berger, Simmons and Cox and Feschuk were the very worst. They were and are Tabloid reporters.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is very true, during their playoff drought years there were so many games that the Leafs won, but the media would put a negative spin and say the Leafs didn't play well, their opponent played poorly. I'm sick of the media.

Heck even in the salute gate Days they wer above 500 and in a playoff spot when the media rode them like crazy and dummy fans were throwing jerseys

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Heck even in the salute gate Days they wer above 500 and in a playoff spot when the media rode them like crazy and dummy fans were throwing jerseys
yup Kessel would have led Toronto to multiple cups if it wasn't for the media keeping him down

and i still remember how we were first in the standings and yet our toxic fan base was throwing jerseys and waffles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad