The Sun: Steve Simmons on "Driving players out of town"

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
From his latest column:

Amazing the number of people who believe the Toronto media drives star athletes out of town. Like who? Mats Sundin chose to leave. Same for Borje Salming. Doug Gilmour was traded. Darryl Sittler was mercifully traded. Lanny McDonald was traded. Larry Murphy was booed out of town. Brendan Shanahan and Mike Babcock wanted no part of Phil Kessel.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
simmons "phil eats hotdogs". I felt reporters made it personal with phil. Look at him now. Thriving in pittsburgh and winning cups. I stopped watching TSN/sportsnet, listening to leafs radio, and reading articles years ago. I don't know what feschuk, simmons and those chuckleheads on overdrive have been up too the last couple years but during phils time they went after him and I won't forget it. A winning team is not good press. They want the leafs to fail.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Wasn't Simmons the guy that kept fabricating stories about Sundin? Suggesting that he was going to have career ending surgery, or that he was selling his house because he demanded a trade or something?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
LOL...the troll is riding on Babcock's coat-tail after he thanked all the media folks for doing a great job in his season's end press conference...Simmons trying to justify his Kessel article.

The media drives the fans' ire and fuels the fire...guess where do many fans get their info about players and how they are playing? From reading columns written by the media, or hearing it on TV, etc.. Guess what Kypreos made up about Babcock and Matthews and look where some of the fans are taking that to? There's at least 3 videos on TSN about the "rift" between Babcock and Matthews that never existed, all because Kypreos made some sh!t up.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There are always going to be many - and different - opinions surrounding this team (past, present and future). That won't ever change. I'd hope the decision makers would always do what they think is in the team's best interests, because it's impossible to please everybody all of the time.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Leafs media earned their reputation. They choose to paint a negative story when they could just as easily paint a positive one. It's always been strange to me they run a decades long smear campaign against the team and sport than employs them all. You don't normally see that in other industries like I haven't seen Canadian Tire running commercials about how crappy their products are and how they will make you miserable if you buy them

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
For all those who think that the media don’t read this forum and other fan base reactions and use them to cause controversy. This is perfect proof.

It is a main topic on this board all last week. And now steve Simmons just happens to write about it???? Coincidence? Come on

This will be 2013 all over again. Not because of the team but because of the fans and the media attacking the players.

Instead of just saying. “You know what, i made it personal with the players and have caused issues. I will work on actually providing real insigjt and content instead of TMZ click bait”. Nope..... it’s not my fault. The players love me......

What a joke

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
simmons "phil eats hotdogs". I felt reporters made it personal with phil. Look at him now. Thriving in pittsburgh and winning cups. I stopped watching TSN/sportsnet, listening to leafs radio, and reading articles years ago. I don't know what feschuk, simmons and those chuckleheads on overdrive have been up too the last couple years but during phils time they went after him and I won't forget it. A winning team is not good press. They want the leafs to fail.

Yup...everytime I turn on the radio, they had something bad to say about Phil...it was relentless. I listen to sports radio alot during my daily commute to/from work.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
For all those who think that the media don’t read this forum and other fan base reactions and use them to cause controversy. This is perfect proof.

It is a main topic on this board all last week. And now steve Simmons just happens to write about it???? Coincidence? Come on

This will be 2013 all over again. Not because of the team but because of the fans and the media attacking the players.

Instead of just saying. “You know what, i made it personal with the players and have caused issues. I will work on actually providing real insigjt and content instead of TMZ click bait”. Nope..... it’s not my fault. The players love me......

What a joke

Some of the smartest insights about the Leafs are in this forum by some of our posters, although most of us are just folks with our own lives, jobs and family, but we all care deeply about the Leafs in our own way...at the very least, there's more perspective than they could get from their sports analyst colleagues...this forum is a gold mine for ideas...good or bad.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The best is people refuse to believe it. I mean how many players reference the media as a factor in decision making.

We need one piece. A stud D (pref rh). We have the best D in the league coming to UFA who is quoted as saying he wants to play for TO but doesn’t know if he could deal with the media and fans.

Our team sets records. Takes a cup favorite to 7 and loses their first game 7 and we Savage them..... good job guys.

How many people here would work in a job where they have people making up and publishing stories and making them answer for every time they sneeze...... wouldn’t that affect you? Wouldn’t you choose to go somewhere else, where you can make the same money, have the same perks and without the garbage?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don’t know what’s worse:

That Simmons would think it was a good idea to write the hotdog story, that an editor would actually publish it, or the fact that it was completely disproven by other writers.....

And then he went on the air and tried to justify it by saying it happened but “a friend of his kid” gave him the wrong corner....
Imagine that. That’s your whole job. Confirm the story. How is that ok?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The best is people refuse to believe it. I mean how many players reference the media as a factor in decision making.

We need one piece. A stud D (pref rh). We have the best D in the league coming to UFA who is quoted as saying he wants to play for TO but doesn’t know if he could deal with the media and fans.

Our team sets records. Takes a cup favorite to 7 and loses their first game 7 and we Savage them..... good job guys.

How many people here would work in a job where they have people making up and publishing stories and making them answer for every time they sneeze...... wouldn’t that affect you? Wouldn’t you choose to go somewhere else, where you can make the same money, have the same perks and without the garbage?

Media will always be a constant here though. Highs will be high and lows will be low because so many people are interested in this team. All that's really in our control is that players want to come or stay here because they feel we give them the best chance to win.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
LOL...the troll is riding on Babcock's coat-tail after he thanked all the media folks for doing a great job in his season's end press conference...Simmons trying to justify his Kessel article.

The media drives the fans' ire and fuels the fire...guess where do many fans get their info about players and how they are playing? From reading columns written by the media, or hearing it on TV, etc.. Guess what Kypreos made up about Babcock and Matthews and look where some of the fans are taking that to? There's at least 3 videos on TSN about the "rift" between Babcock and Matthews that never existed, all because Kypreos made some sh!t up.

The same Kypreos that was the reason all the trade one of Nylander or Marner talk came up a way to premature.

Well he did get his brains beat out a lot because he couldn't fight.

Reactions: Superstar

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Media will always be a constant here though. Highs will be high and lows will be low because so many people are interested in this team. All that's really in our control is that players want to come or stay here because they feel we give them the best chance to win.

But it’s not though. How can’t people see it. The media writes what they think the fans want to read. Their is an inherent negativity bias because it sells.

But look at last year. The leaf fans wanted optimism. The media was optomistic. They loved the leafs and Babcock etc. Then the fans started to get angry. Now the media gets angry and petty. Do you honestly think steve Simmons or Kristen Stilton know ANYTHING about hockey????

They read here and ask about these ideas. You could honestly go and match up fan whining and media articles. If the fans started saying the Loch Ness monster lived in the ice, Simmons would write an article about him and how he hated babcock

Reactions: Kurtz

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

I just watch the games and formulate my own opinions.

I pay little to no attention to the media but to me the far bigger problem are the experts who don't create their own opinions and just parrot the media like lemmings. Then they try to have rational discussions with others despite the fact they have no idea what is going on.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I believe the options available for quality unbiased articles is the end of these media dinosaurs anyway.

Papers media are hoing down. I would think the owners of these outlets would be looking for quality, knowledgeable writers.

They need new blood in the disbursement of fair,unbiased, non personal, quality sport reporting in Canada.

Hockey teams on Canada were so pressured to win by media that only recently it is acceptable to tear down and rebuild through the tank.

The pressure applied is not neccessary i believe. It is really seriously overblown to the annoying degree for me.

I am definitely a media cynical sports fan. Their fault, not mine!!

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
But it’s not though. How can’t people see it. The media writes what they think the fans want to read. Their is an inherent negativity bias because it sells.

But look at last year. The leaf fans wanted optimism. The media was optomistic. They loved the leafs and Babcock etc. Then the fans started to get angry. Now the media gets angry and petty. Do you honestly think steve Simmons or Kristen Stilton know ANYTHING about hockey????

They read here and ask about these ideas. You could honestly go and match up fan whining and media articles. If the fans started saying the Loch Ness monster lived in the ice, Simmons would write an article about him and how he hated babcock

"The sky is falling" generally reads and writes differently than "everything is awesome". Reading here makes sense because it's a decent sample size of what's on the minds of Leafs Nation. Presser questions are likely geared towards that as well, and really, anything Leafs is of interest.

There's many different opinions and it'd be nearly impossible for any two Leaf fans to agree or disagree on anything 100% of the time. We all agree where it's important anyway - being Leaf fans ;). The team is going to do what it's going to do regardless of any outside factors.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Is there an article by the local media of how awesome our year was despite injuries to Matthews, a slumping period by Marner and Kadri, the growing pains of Nylander learning to play centre, how signing Marleau was a huge plus, our plan to improve our team going into the off-season, and how bright our future looks yet? Instead, we get a defensive stance by Simmons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad